Forums
Posted By: MikeT Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 5:15am
I used to live in the Round House in Magazine Lane, one of the oldest buildings on the Wirral. I have a scrapbook of photos and newspaper cuttings which I don't want any more. Would a local historian be interested in it? If not, I'll bin it.

PM me. Mike
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 7:00am
would certainly likle to have a browse of it all
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 7:22am
You could hand it in to the the Record Office at:
Wallasey Central Library, Earlston Road, Wallasey, CH45 5DY - Tel: 0151 639 2334

or to:
Wirral Archives, Lower Ground Floor, Cheshire Lines Building, Canning Street, Birkenhead, CH41 1ND - Tel: 0151 606 2929

I'm sure both would be very interested in it.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 7:54am
I'd be interested , or why not pass it on to wiki's local historian PaulWirral ?
Posted By: AlexB Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 8:17am
Or let Jabber have a browse and then HE can pass it on? Just a thought.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 8:44am
Any way of scanning it and putting it on here?
Posted By: karlb Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 10:35am
I know the frank who lives there now i think he'd be interested in a copy of it.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 10:46am
Please pass it on to.

Wirral Archives, Lower Ground Floor, Cheshire Lines Building, Canning Street.

then we can all have a look, anything else you have about the Wirral it's the place for it to go.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 11:32am
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer
I'd be interested , or why not pass it on to wiki's local historian PaulWirral ?

Thank you for the name drop. cool

Is there a possibilty that you could scan the information and e-mail them to the interested parties? The originals could be presented to Wallasey Reference Library as suggested.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 21st Oct 2011 6:16pm
id be happy just with a read of the info

agree the documents should be in the reference library
Posted By: MikeT Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 22nd Oct 2011 7:52am
Well, certainly a lot more interest than I expected. I'll scan the stuff and put it up here, though some of it is fairly faded newspaper cuttings and may need touching up with Photoshop or similar.

One person who would like to live in the house at some point in the future has PM'd me to ask if he can have the book, but I agree with the suggestions here - it's part of Wirral's history - and once scanned will donate it to the archive. I work just around the corner from the Cheshire Lines building so it's no problem to drop it off.

Thanks all, watch this space for the scans (give me a few days)

cheers
Mike

ps. Jabber, you're welcome to have a browse. PM me and we'll work something out.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 22nd Oct 2011 10:30am
That's a great idea Mike. That way we all get to see it. Thanks
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 22nd Oct 2011 10:33am
Originally Posted by Tatey
That's a great idea Mike. That way we all get to see it. Thanks
withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 25th Oct 2011 11:39pm
Originally Posted by MikeT
Well, certainly a lot more interest than I expected. I'll scan the stuff and put it up here, though some of it is fairly faded newspaper cuttings and may need touching up with Photoshop or similar.

One person who would like to live in the house at some point in the future has PM'd me to ask if he can have the book, but I agree with the suggestions here - it's part of Wirral's history - and once scanned will donate it to the archive. I work just around the corner from the Cheshire Lines building so it's no problem to drop it off.

Thanks all, watch this space for the scans (give me a few days)

cheers
Mike

ps. Jabber, you're welcome to have a browse. PM me and we'll work something out.

Any luck with uploading them here bud, wouldn't mined a read myself wink
Posted By: Tatey Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 26th Oct 2011 7:30am
I went to MikeT's house & had a look through his scrap book & collection of photographs. All very interesting & well collected.

What was of interest is that the actual round house,(that was a separate building at one time) was actually built 50 years before The Magazines (not the pub!) so was not originally the watch-keepers house, but maybe a fisherman's cottage, albeit of unusual design!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 3rd Nov 2011 11:07am
Originally Posted by Tatey
What was of interest is that the actual round house,(that was a separate building at one time) was actually built 50 years before The Magazines (not the pub!) so was not originally the watch-keepers house, but maybe a fisherman's cottage, albeit of unusual design!

I'd be very surprised if it was originally a fisherman's cottage. The shape is far too functional.

Has anyone ever noticed that if you walk up Fort Street and look down at the outer wall surrounding the Round House, very low down (almost at what is now pavement level) you can see part of a brick archway?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 3rd Nov 2011 2:40pm
mike T im happy to wait and just read the scanned images thanks although i would like to visit and photograph the building if it would be convenient
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 3rd Nov 2011 2:41pm
ahh ive just re-read the whole thread and you no longer live here, shame
Posted By: Tatey Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 3rd Nov 2011 6:15pm
Originally Posted by geekus
[quote=Tatey]

Has anyone ever noticed that if you walk up Fort Street and look down at the outer wall surrounding the Round House, very low down (almost at what is now pavement level) you can see part of a brick archway?

Never noticed but I will have to have a look tomorrow!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 4th Nov 2011 5:40pm
Very interesting brickwork in The Round House wall. Possibly when street level was lower, a coal hole or ash pit?

Attached picture IMG_2044.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2045.JPG
Posted By: tharobster Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 1st Dec 2013 8:36pm
50 magazine lane , new brighton

ive often wondered what this boarded up old shop used to be [i presume it was a shop?] . saw your message and thought you might know the answer ? thanks rob

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=50+magazine+lane+,+new+brighton&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487b269b5c40f7a5:0x404568f5bf2ae0ba,50+Magazine+Ln,+Wallasey,+Merseyside&gl=uk&ei=gpybUvfLIMyThgebloGwBw&ved=0CDEQ8gEwAA
Posted By: YinYang Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 1st Dec 2013 8:54pm
I think it was a dairy that the sold milk from Oarside Farm.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Round House, Magazine Lane, Wallasey - 9th Apr 2014 1:13pm
Originally Posted by tharobster
50 magazine lane , new brighton

ive often wondered what this boarded up old shop used to be [i presume it was a shop?] . saw your message and thought you might know the answer ? thanks rob

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=50+magazine+lane+,+new+brighton&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487b269b5c40f7a5:0x404568f5bf2ae0ba,50+Magazine+Ln,+Wallasey,+Merseyside&gl=uk&ei=gpybUvfLIMyThgebloGwBw&ved=0CDEQ8gEwAA

I remember being some sort of shop. Definitely within the last forty years. The land beside with the new houses on and the old stone wall had a hut that was a meeting place for scouts or sea scouts and there was an old wooden structure that eventually someone recognised as a gun carriage off a sailing ship. Think that was in the 1980's. It was taken away to museum or something.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral