Forums
Posted By: chriskay Clifton Park - 18th Oct 2011 12:04pm
Clifton Park

I spent a couple of hours exploring this area a few days ago. Although I knew of its existence, I never really knew much about it.

It’s bounded roughly by Borough Rd., Whetstone Lane and Clifton Rd., although the conservation area is smaller. Many of the houses are
Grade 2 listed. It started as a select area for business people in the 1840’s, with some large houses on Clifton Road.

There is a wide variety of houses in the area, from large detached to small terraced. Kelly’s Directory of 1900 shows a range of occupations, mostly professionals but also some shop workers; I can’t see any “labourers”.

Unfortunately, quite a few of the original houses have been demolished and replaced by flats; I suspect that most of the remaining large houses are now sub-divided and rented.

There’s lots of information about conservation areas in Wirral here:

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/environment-and-planning/built-conservation/conservation-areas/

Attached picture Map.jpg
Attached picture Clifton_Rd__1.jpg
Attached picture Clifton_Rd__2.jpg
Attached picture Clifton_Rd__3.jpg
Attached picture Clifton_Rd__4.jpg
Attached picture Clifton_Rd__5.jpg
Attached picture Masonic_Hall,_Clifton_Rd__formerly_the_Congregational_Church.jpg
Attached picture Brookland_Rd_.jpg
Attached picture Brookland_Rd__2.jpg
Attached picture Circular_Rd_.jpg
Attached picture Lowwood_Grove.jpg
Attached picture Lowwood_Grove_2.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Clifton Park - 18th Oct 2011 12:10pm
more

Attached picture Lowwood_Rd_.jpg
Attached picture Lowwood_Rd_2.jpg
Attached picture Fearnley_Hall,_The_Woodlands.jpg
Attached picture Fearnley_Hall_2_formerly_the_Y_W_C_A.jpg
Attached picture Lowwood_Rd__from_Hollybank_Rd_.jpg
Attached picture The_Woodlands.jpg
Attached picture The_Woodlands_2.jpg
Attached picture Islamic_Cultural_Centre,_formerly,_School_of_Commerce,_Hollybank_Rd_.jpg
Attached picture Hollybank_Rd_.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Clifton Park - 18th Oct 2011 1:43pm
Nice photography Chris, some very fine buildings amongst them.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Clifton Park - 18th Oct 2011 7:28pm
apart from the fine buildings. Notice how clean the roads are {litter free} {dont look on fallen leaves as a road been dirty}its the time of year for fallen leaves.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Clifton Park - 18th Oct 2011 9:18pm
Yes, you're right, jimbob. I put that down to the fact that it's a residential area and not an obvious route between one area and another.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Clifton Park - 28th Oct 2011 10:26pm
I walk past those houses most days when i pick my son up from school to go to my parents house in Rodney st and think there must be a lot of history in those houses I can remember some of the houses that used to be there before the flats when we were kids we thought they were haunted
© Wirral-Wikiwirral