Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Ark Royal at Lairds - 12th Oct 2011 8:59pm

Ark Royal getting fitted out at Lairds

Attached picture 101cammell_laird.jpg
Posted By: spider1 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 26th Oct 2011 7:09pm
Isn't that the one that was sunk in the Med whilst under tow back to Gibralter?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 27th Oct 2011 1:42pm
Yes, this Ark Royal (which my dad worked on) had a very short life. Commissioned December 1938, torpedoed in the Med. Nov. 13th. 1941 and sunk next day while under tow.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 27th Oct 2011 2:03pm
Are EU friends claimed they had sunk it a few times before they actualy did. By the way see by todays papers the Lady that runs there country is SABER RATTLING. some nations never change
Posted By: mollydolly Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 28th Oct 2011 1:24am
My grandad was killed while working on this at lairds.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 7th Nov 2011 4:23pm
I worked on the other ARK ROYAL as an apprentice in the 50s
it was an education i was only 15 or 16, when the siren went off at 5 o clock the men came off the ship in there hundreds
just like rovers letting out,great memories and great times
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 7th Nov 2011 5:27pm
My father worked on the 'Ark' he was an asbestos sprayer. Needless to say he died of asbestosis.
Posted By: Chris_M Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 9th Nov 2011 6:38pm
My Dad was a plumber on the ship.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 9th Nov 2011 6:55pm
Wasn't it an aircraft from Ark Royal that disabled the Bismark? I think she was called up from Gibraltar to the North Atlantic to try and find Bismark.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 9th Nov 2011 7:37pm
A Swordfish from the Ark Royal did disable Bismark with a torpedo attack and HMS Dorchester finished her off.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 10th Nov 2011 7:32am
Bert - wasn't it HMS Dorsetshire that finished her off?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 10th Nov 2011 7:49am
Originally Posted by billy_anorak59
Bert - wasn't it HMS Dorsetshire that finished her off?

You are right Billy, had Dorchester on my mind after reading about her in the Indian ocean.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 10th Nov 2011 8:54am
I think we're getting our 'Ark Royals' mixed up here. The one built at Lairds in the 50's as shown in the photos wasn't sunk in the second world war in the 40's.

Bob.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 10th Nov 2011 10:25am
Thanks for that, Bob. I was getting them mixed up. My father worked on the earlier one built in the 30's.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 15th Nov 2011 2:50pm
Originally Posted by 8HBob
I think we're getting our 'Ark Royals' mixed up here. The one built at Lairds in the 50's as shown in the photos wasn't sunk in the second world war in the 40's.

Bob.

Yep as seen in the mid-late 70's series - 'Sailor' featuring the immortal? Rod Stewart 'We are Sailing' theme - filmed after her sister ship HMS Eagle had been pensioned off and she was the only UK conventional fixed wing carrier left...
If you're lcuky you can see her on Thursday night on BBC4 TOTP as it is showing stuff from late 1976 at the mo... cool
Posted By: bigpete Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 15th Nov 2011 2:52pm
There was also a previous HMS Eagle carrier - sunk on a Malta convoy in 1941 too....
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 15th Nov 2011 3:43pm
My old man worked on the 30's Ark as well, he liked pointing out the bow plates he worked on when he saw photos of it.
Sat in Claughto Rd with the rest of our school to watch the Queen Mother (or the Queen as she was then) go past to launch the 50s Ark. There used to be a Birkenhead lad, Kenny Dignam, who served on it in the 60s. I stayed on the small stuff.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 15th Nov 2011 4:31pm
The Ark Royal (1st post) is the ship that was sunk during WW2, below the black and white pic, 50s Ark Royal in colour.

Attached picture ark_30s.jpg
Attached picture ark_royal_50s.jpg
Posted By: Wench Re: Ark Royal - 11th Dec 2011 1:41pm
There's also this one Click Me.
Posted By: mrallen Ark Royal at Lairds - 11th Dec 2011 1:55pm
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=7323
Posted By: jimbob Ark Royal - 11th Dec 2011 7:44pm
Originally Posted by Wench
There's also this one Click Me.

the 3 ships have have recently been consined to the scrap heap where NOT BUILT AS ACTUAL AIRCRAFT CARRIERS. During the 70s when these ships where origanaly been ordered the LABOUR PARTY where in power and there doctorine would not allow aircraft carriers to be built so these ships where desighned and built as THROUGH DECK CRUISERS. This was to keep the LEFT WING of the Labour party happy.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ark Royal - 11th Dec 2011 9:17pm
By the time building started, they had changed their title/role at least twice more.
Posted By: jeremycorbon Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 24th Sep 2016 1:46am
we got invited on board for dinner with the crew when we were working on the docks in Hamburg. we had no money and were starving. the crew and officers were on deck doing that Bosuns Whistle thing and all were standing to attention when something crashed into it. there was sailors going all over the place and action stations were called but no one seedmed to know what was happening,cheers j.c.
Posted By: alangoodall Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 30th Jun 2017 10:32am
Hi George

Did you know any of my brothers who worked there at this time? Angus (Gus Goodall) - a spark (his nickname was 'The switch board King) , Also my brothers Dennie, Roy (Engineer) , Donnie and Gordon (Engineer and Draughtsman)

I am now retired - and 78, living in France. I am trying to write up some family history and our lives in Huskisson Street area for my daughters

Any info you can give me would be appreciated - as I left 'home' over fifty years ago! I have just found the great site and busy working through various sections

thanks

Alan

PS do you have any photos? During my student holidays, I also worked on a Cable ship with Angus in the early 60's - I was a 'runner' You will know well what that very important job was!!!

PPS re the mass exit at 5pm - and the early morning start especially - I love to listen to a rack on Alan Price's record "Between Today and Yesterday" About Newcastle yards but the same sentiment "Oh its up in the morning and over the bridge, Darkness still over the day...
It brings tears to my eyes!
Posted By: keef666 Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 1st Jul 2017 9:28am
Got a friend who is building a model of Ark Roayl 2, from the 1950's [as his brother served on it, just as the Harrier jump jets were coming out, they were called Kestrals then its] about 7 foot long and all scratched built just an awsome model, so far its taken him nearly twenty years in between building other models, and still not finshed it!
Posted By: granny Re: Ark Royal at Lairds - 1st Jul 2017 11:00am
Originally Posted by alangoodall
Hi George

Did you know any of my brothers who worked there at this time? Angus (Gus Goodall) - a spark (his nickname was 'The switch board King) , Also my brothers Dennie, Roy (Engineer) , Donnie and Gordon (Engineer and Draughtsman)

I am now retired - and 78, living in France. I am trying to write up some family history and our lives in Huskisson Street area for my daughters

Any info you can give me would be appreciated - as I left 'home' over fifty years ago! I have just found the great site and busy working through various sections

thanks

Alan

PS do you have any photos? During my student holidays, I also worked on a Cable ship with Angus in the early 60's - I was a 'runner' You will know well what that very important job was!!!

PPS re the mass exit at 5pm - and the early morning start especially - I love to listen to a rack on Alan Price's record "Between Today and Yesterday" About Newcastle yards but the same sentiment "Oh its up in the morning and over the bridge, Darkness still over the day...
It brings tears to my eyes!

Hi Alan,

Private Message sent : (That's a flashing light to open under My Stuff,then Messages )
© Wirral-Wikiwirral