Forums
Posted By: nightwalker Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 11:41am
I’ve just read an article on the suffragette movement in Liverpool and came across this story of local interest. It seems that the kids of yesteryear weren’t all little angels, particularly the ones living in Liscard! This is the story:

On 21 October 1909, the Liverpool Daily Post carried a report of a W.S.P.U. [Women's Social and Political Union] meeting at Liscard which ended in disarray:

“Lumps of clay and small stones were thrown, and the ladies beat a hasty retreat, without a word having been said respecting the claims of the fair sex to the franchise … the meeting was a farce but the 'audience' regarded the fun as immense”

In her capacity as organizer, Ada Flatman complained to the press:

“It had been arranged that I should speak at Pear Tree Grove, Liscard last night; the pavements were chalked to that effect and the police notified. On our arrival, we found a great crowd of adults, men and women, anxious to attend our meeting: also 100 or more small children aged from 2 to 14, armed with missiles with which to greet us. The police officer told me he had been pelted, and I want to know where the law of the land is that allows women to be badgered in this manner by children? In your report, you suggest that we were met by our own methods. We are fighting a great political battle, and the stone-throwing has been forced upon us—either that or surrender. These children have no grievance against us. What are their schools and churches teaching them, is the question to he asked, and why have not the police taken action in this matter? Women with a grievance are at once arrested and have to serve four months imprisonment for throwing a stone, but Liscard children may stone women and no notice is taken of it. In no other place but Liscard have I found this sad state of affairs that the children are so out of control...”

I’m confused about the meeting being held in Pear Tree Grove. The PTG I remember was a row of 11 terraced houses off Liscard Crescent served only by a narrow pathway. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Liscard Crescent was originally called PTG but have been unable to find any evidence for this. Can anyone help?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 11:45am
Very interesting,thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 12:12pm
I have read this before and questioned the PTG reference. I think, in my opinion, that the "meeting" was oustide near to Wesley Hall because the reference is "at" and not "in" PTG.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 12:30pm
Although we tend to think of Liscard as being centred on the modern day shopping centre and it sprawling out along numerous different roads, the Liscard Village of old was more readily identified as only really stretching from the Queens public house in Liscard to the corner of Seaview Rd.

The area between Pear Tree Grove and Dean's Terrace (where the Royal Oak still remains) may have been much more of a focal point than we would imagine today. There used to be a Smithy opposite Pear Tree Grove (on the Post Office site), and the Fire Station would also have already been established there before this event took place.

Posted By: nightwalker Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 12:38pm
Nice bit of semantics, Paul - I take your point!

Geekus - are you confirming that Liscard Crescent used to be called Pear Tree Grove?

Or are you thinking of Egerton Grove?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 12:53pm
smack ....oops, yes I meant Egerton Grove.

I make this stuff up as I go along you know!

I'm pretty sure though that the area around Liscard Crescent may have been more open and possibly part of the old Liscard Hall Farm site.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 10th Sep 2011 1:35pm

withthat

Just had a quick look at some old reference material and it does look like there was a large open space by Pear Tree Grove and Liscard Terrace (to the rear of the old Smithy). Whether or not this is the site where the meeting took place or perhaps the Brick Field area by the Friends Meeting House is anybody's guess.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Children attack suffragettes in Liscard - 11th Sep 2011 4:27pm
Thanks for sharing, Very interesting stuff. wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral