Forums
Posted By: davaw1 Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 9:25am
Anyone seen it?

It's a documentary/film with lots of 50's, 60's & 70's footage of Birkenhead, New Brighton, Liverpool and other areas of the North West.

It was on bbc four but you can catch it on BBC iplayer well worth the watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Time_and_the_City
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 9:34am
I saw it a couple of years ago at FACT Liverpool with a Q&A session with Director. It was interesting and the black and white format made the streets look bleak. Worth seeing as you say. On I Player following on from the film, same station, is a Liverpool Comedy which has good shots of the city, plot a bit daft but it was ok.
Posted By: Gill61 Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 1:13pm
what time/day was this on?
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 1:39pm
Friday it would have been on as there are only 2 days left to watch it on iplayer.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 1:43pm
Saw this a while back. Excellent. Tremendous shots of local places.The commentary is quite thought provoking and sometimes sarcastic. A lot of "neighbourhood" shots, brim full of atmosphere. Slowly giving way to the wonderful 60's/70's high rise pre-slums.

WELL worth a look.
Posted By: Gill61 Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 2:29pm
Just watched this on iplayer, It's great, brings back so many childhood memories!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 3:51pm
Yes, I've got this on DVD; I recorded it on my PVR & then transferred it. Really good.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 3:57pm
Just watched it, thanks for the tip-off. Excellent, just like Pinz said.
Posted By: philmch Re: Of Time and the City - 17th Aug 2011 4:09pm
Great film. Look out for Morning In The Streets too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/working/189.shtml
Posted By: masterbun Re: Of Time and the City - 18th Aug 2011 2:22am
Also excellent. 5lbs of best Cheshire potatoes for 1/6d !!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Of Time and the City - 18th Aug 2011 9:48am
Good one that, I'd been in the RN 6 months when that was broadcast, you tend to forget how drab things were then. That's woman in the cast was quite correct, good old days my arse.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Of Time and the City - 18th Aug 2011 10:02am
Watched it this morning, excellent, enjoyed the sound just for a few seconds of the ferry gangway and lines rubbing with the swell, looking at the amount of people on those ferries, could they really have coped with a sinking, even with the floating benches.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Of Time and the City - 18th Aug 2011 10:13am
If one of those ferries sank in the Mersey, not many would have drowned ............... they would have just gone through the motions !!! da-daaaah !

They say the old ones are the best !! (Mmmm. wrong ?)
Posted By: cathcart Re: Of Time and the City - 18th Aug 2011 1:38pm
i loved birkenhead in the 50s,great place.made our own fun,just brilliant.
Posted By: drumgarron Re: Of Time and the City - 1st Nov 2023 2:13pm
Originally Posted by davaw1
Anyone seen it?

It's a documentary/film with lots of 50's, 60's & 70's footage of Birkenhead, New Brighton, Liverpool and other areas of the North West.

It was on bbc four but you can catch it on BBC iplayer well worth the watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Time_and_the_City

I know the last post in this thread was a while back, but - the Director of this film, Terence Davies died a few weeks back. This film was part of a series of films he made based on his childhood in Liverpool in the 1950's & '60's.

They showed 'The Long Day Closes' on Film4 on telly a few nights ago - a beautiful film about a young Catholic boy with a happy home life, but who was lonely and bullied at school. I have a collection of his films on dvd - including 'The Long Day Closes', 'Distant Voices, Still Lives' & 'Of Time & the City' - all of which are excellent.

As that wikipedia article states, he was considered by many to be Britain's most gifted and remarkable filmmaker - he'll be sadly missed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral