Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 15th Jun 2011 10:46pm
Here are some pictures that joycejones has passed on to me for posting along with the message she sent me.

"thanks for giving me northenders email , we have been in touch with each other.
here are a few photo,s you can put on wiki as i dont know how to put them on.
also looking thru wiki i see you have found quite a few people for other people
do you do research or genealogy?.genealogy is my hobby but i thought you
lseemed to find people easy.
dock cottage photo is an original found in my dads wallet after he died, i would
like to think one of the men was my grandad but will never know.
the ladies ana mens day out were possibly from the blood tub but dont know were day out was,again found in cousins dads papers after he died.
bhead party 1952 was wallasey bridge rd. on front row left is charlie lansborough and
his sisters and further along on front row are some of the new family lads .
please let me know if you get these ok. i have names of laird st school if needed

regards joyce"

Description: Birkenhead Street Party 1952
Attached picture b_head_st_party_1952.jpg

Description: Dock Cottages
Attached picture dock_cottages.jpg

Description: Ladies Day Out
Attached picture ladies_day_out.jpg

Description: Laird Street School 1955
Attached picture laird_st_school_1955.jpg

Description: Mens Day Out
Attached picture mens_day_out.jpg

Description: Tees Street Party
Attached picture tees_street_party.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 6:28am
Nice find, thanks DD and Joyce.
Just a query, the one marked as Dock Cottages??
Looks like still under construction AND the part of the building to the right - looks like a shop front/pub front! I cant make it out but there is a sign in the top right window.
I dont think the cottages had shops in them, could it be the original Blood Tub pub? it was common for a pub to be in the middle or at the end of terrace!
Posted By: Mark Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 7:05am
[Linked Image]

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...New_Dock_Hotel_Blood_Tub.html#Post170807

should explain how the blood tub was moved.

Ilchester Square - The Dock Cottages
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ster_Square_The_Dock_Cott.html#Post17087

Big Thumbs up for those pictures DD & Joyce.

Posted By: delta6 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 7:20am
the little girl in the ladies day out and mens day out pictures liked to have her pic taken didnt she lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 8:12am
To pick up from Hoseman's comment about the construction work on the RH side of the Dock Cottages photo.... It looks as if they have laid the bricks on the road surface (?) There doesn't appear to be any signs of a foundation trench. Sooooooo could they be in the throes of building a communal street air raid shelter in WW2 ?

Just a thought.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 8:28am
Have to agree with Pinz, the attire of the workmen is more in keeping with the second world war period rather than the period the cottages were constructed.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 11:57am
Lovely pics,love the old pics! anymore??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 12:00pm
The wall to the extreme left looks like its been partly demolished.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 12:25pm
Great topic happy
Posted By: chriskay Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 3:15pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The wall to the extreme left looks like its been partly demolished.

Not convinced it's a wall; looks more like a stack of bricks ready for use.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 5:23pm
Great pic s laird st school one i remeber having a few pic s when iwas there taken in that court yard, think that was only time they where used.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 16th Jun 2011 11:06pm
What do we recon the building is in the background to the construction pic?
Look at the way the bricks are laid. Doesnt look like any mortar between and the way they are stacked, is that an English Weave pattern? But why would they use that to stack?
Its a double course of bricks also!!
Any ideas on the sogn in the top right window?
Recon that might be the old dock pub?
Posted By: Mark Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 17th Jun 2011 6:21am
Looks like a E then a 35 or 36

Weren't the Blocks Named A - B - C - D ?

Attached picture dock-cottages02.jpg
Posted By: rpmcmurphy Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 17th Jun 2011 11:38am
Anyone have any more info on the Mens day uot picture? Was it a workforce? Friends etc?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 17th Jun 2011 4:17pm
Re. construction picture. I do think they're building a shelter. The bricks to the left are stacked ready for use. As far as I can tell, they are building in English Garden Wall bond; 3 courses of stretcher, 1 of header. The wall is 1 brick thick; i.e. 9". The headers have been painted white for visibility in the blackout.
Just my thoughts.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 17th Jun 2011 6:19pm
Fair thoughts Chris, the stack of bricks look as if they have the delivery straw over them, used as packing when stacking wink
Any light or white painted bricks would help visibility during blackout.

Attached picture shelters.jpg
Posted By: Margymoo4 Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 19th Aug 2022 3:37pm
Why can’t I see your pics please ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 19th Aug 2022 3:45pm
Originally Posted by Margymoo4
Why can’t I see your pics please ?

Follow this link click me
Posted By: sneakypete Re: Northend Pictures 1950s Birkenhead - 9th Sep 2022 10:38am
I can't see the pics for some reason. How do I open them?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral