Forums
Posted By: HistoricalTony Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 1:23pm
Ive speaking to my nan who was looking at previous pictures of wallasey road in the 1940s, and she was explaining to me how there was a milk bar where there was a juke box in and was like a teenager hang out.

she is having trouble remembering the name of this place and i was also wondering if there was any pictures or futher information available and if anybody else remembers it.

its location was just past the coronation building and before were the wellington pub is, the era would have been late 1940s early 50s.

Thinking about this place it would be brilliant to have somewere like that in the towncentre may be an actual answer to giving teenagers somewere to go, plus the idea of a milkshake bar sounds highly appealing
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 3:06pm
I remember the Milk Bar being there, before that unit was added to Bookland. Can't think of a name, other than 'Milk Bar' though! (I was born in '52 so it was still there well into the 50s - maybe even the 60s?)
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 3:21pm
thats exactly what me nan said, its just the milk bar haha.

that would have been awsome to have, it would be like a themed cafe/ bar am sure alot of people would go for the memorys and If they introduced wifi and that there it would be perfect. god if only i had the oppertunity to promote it. would have burger and fries and chicken in a basket etc. somewere that would not appeal to all the rif raf where the nice people could congregate.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 5:04pm
A 1930s pic of the Milk Bar

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 5:11pm
Legend paul thank you very much
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 6:04pm
THAT's IT!! Now I know why I had the word "Melody" going around in my brain - but I kept thinking I was remembering the Melody INN (also long gone). But now that I see the photo, YES! That is what I remember, the Melody Milk Bar!!

I do not know by what miracle, Paul, you keep on and on coming up with photographs like these, it is just incredible (but I am SO glad that you do!!
(It just goes to show, just how "American" I have become, I suppose, according to some, on here...!!!) wink
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 6:06pm
I remember it well. Last time I was in there the juke box was always playing the theme from the movie A Summer Place.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 20th May 2011 6:29pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
I remember it well. Last time I was in there the juke box was always playing the theme from the movie A Summer Place.

Just for you mate..

[youtube]ykpbKOnN93w[/youtube]
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey Road Milk Bar - 21st May 2011 5:38am
Thanks Paul, brought back memories of having watched a movie at the Royal in King Street, bought a bottle of brown ale in the "offy" next to the "Little Welly", prised the top off on the adjacent wall & drank it during the walk to the Melody Milk Bar, for a milk shake.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral