Forums
Posted By: chriskay Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 11:31am
...Chestnut tree.

I expect many of you will identify this, but does anyone know when the Chestnut tree went?
It used to be a fine sight & was almost certainly planted to acknowledge Longfellow's poem, which happens to be one of my favourites.

Attached picture 2011-02-08_11-18-23_0153.jpg
Posted By: Erainn Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 12:42pm
Scratching my recall here, looks so familar, but been a long time since I was around there. Is that place near 'The Cheshire Cat'? Is is called Ma's something? Or am I dazed and confused here?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 1:00pm
Dazed & confused. If you mean the Cheshire Cat on the A41 near Waverton, you're miles out.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 1:11pm
I know it's the Thornton Hough blacksmiths but i have no idea when the tree went. I'm guessing old photos would be the best chance of narrowing it down.
Posted By: snapper Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 1:23pm
blew down in a storm about three years ago mate.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 1:32pm
Sounds about right smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under a spreading... - 8th Feb 2011 1:44pm
Thanks, snapper; it's not been gone long then. Good job it didn't fall on the forge.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 6:01am
Under the spreading chestnut tree
The village smith he stands
The muscles on his mighty arms
Stood out like sparrows kneecaps.

At least that's how me Dad quoted it to me when I were a lad!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 11:13am
LOL
Posted By: woodley Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 11:46am
My Dad used to say:-
Under the spreading chestnut tree
the village SMITHY stands ...What is it really?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 11:48am
For Ruth

The Village Blacksmith
Under a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan;
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

Week in, week out, from morn till night,
You can hear his bellows blow;
You can hear him swing his heavy sledge,
With measured beat and slow,
Like a sexton ringing the village bell,
When the evening sun is low.

And children coming home from school
Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,
And hear the bellows roar,
And catch the burning sparks that fly
Like chaff from a threshing-floor.

He goes on Sunday to the church,
And sits among his boys;
He hears the parson pray and preach,
He hears his daughter's voice,
Singing in the village choir,
And it makes his heart rejoice.

It sounds to him like her mother's voice,
Singing in Paradise!
He needs must think of her once more,
How in the grave she lies;
And with his hard, rough hand he wipes
A tear out of his eyes.

Toiling,---rejoicing,---sorrowing,
Onward through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close;
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught!
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

Posted By: woodley Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 12:08pm
BRILLIANT Bert. Thank you {I knew you'd know].
Here's another one for you [don't know How you spell any of this mind] from my Dad too.

And up spake Splorious Splatus [sic] of Tuscan blood was he
I will stand at thy right hand and guard the bridge with thee.

It was many years before I found out it was "Tuscan blood" I always thought it was "tusk and blood".
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 12:43pm
Thomas Macaulay,(1800-1859). His poem "Horatius" tells the story of how Horatius, with two companions, held a bridge against an army.

Then out spake Spurius Lartius;
A Ramnian proud was he:
"Lo, I will stand at thy right hand,
And keep the bridge with thee."
And out spake strong Herminius;
Of Titian blood was he:
"I will abide on thy left side,
And keep the bridge with thee."
Posted By: woodley Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 1:05pm
Thanks Chris. Amazing what you blokes know. Poor ol' Dad was way off on that one tho' Bet he's up there laughing at me now!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 3:09pm
Well, Ruth, the older we get, the more useless information we accumulate. oldman
Although I learned "The Village Blacksmith" by heart & can still recite it (except I don't: it makes me cry), I never did learn "Horatious". It's nearly 600 lines long, as oppose to 48 for the "Blacksmith".
Posted By: bert1 Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 3:58pm
Not the Blacksmith that would have occupied the smithy in the photo and yet a fascinating read of the Will of John Pemberton, Blacksmith, Thoughton Hough, 1669.

In the Name of God Amen the 14th day of June 1664 in the yeare of the Raigne of the Soveraigne Lord Charles the Second by the Grace of God King of England Scotland France and Ireland Defender of the Faith, I John Pemberton of Thornton Hough in the County of Chester Blacksmith Beeinge weak in body but of sound and perfect memory (praise be given to God for the same) and knowing the Uncertainty of this life on Earth and beeinge desireous to settle things in order Doe make this my last Will and Testament in Manner and form following: that is to say first and principally I comitt my soul to Almighty God my Creator and assuredly believing that I shall Recive full pardon and free Remission of all my sins and be saved by the precious death and Merits of my Beloved Saviour and Redeemer Jesus Christ and my body to the Earth from whence it was taken to be Buried in such decent Christian manner as to my Executor hereafter Named shall be thought meete and Convenient And as touching such Worldly goods and Estate which God hath beene pleased to lend mee my will and meaning is, the same shall be imployed and bestowed as hereafter by this my Will is Expressed:
Item I doe revoke renounce frustrate and make voyd all Wills by mee formerly made and declare and appoynt this my last Will and Testament.
Item I leave unto my sonne John Pemberton one shillinge in full of all Demands from my Executor hereafter Named when hee the said John shall come and demande the same in his own person.
Item I Leave unto my sonne Robte Pemberton and to all his children lawfully begotten one shellinge a piece in full of all Demands from my said Executor.
Item I Leave unto my sonne William Pemberton and to all his children lawfully begotten One shillinge a piece in full Demands from my Executor.
Item I Leave to Elline Croft One shillinge:
Item I Leave to Raph Gibbon sonne of Will Gibbon one shillinge
Lastly I doe hereby Constitute Ordaine and appoynt my wife Margery Pemberton my sole and Only Executor of this my Last Will and Testament and I doe Leave unto my said wife Margery all my Estate reall and personall and all my goods Cattles and Chattleā€™s Tacks of grounds and whatsoever I shall die seised and possessed Except the Lagacies before Expressed to have and to hold the said Estate Reall and personall and Likewise all my goods Cattles and Chattles Tacks and what I shall die seised and possessed of unto her the said Margery and her Assigns for ever.And I doe hereby signifey to the world that I have paid my sonnes the severall and respective portions hereafter expressed viz: to my sonne John the sum of sixteen pounds or thereabouts to my sonne Robte twenty pounds or thereabouts and to my sonne William twenty pounds or thereabouts.

Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Under a spreading... - 9th Feb 2011 9:51pm
Sorry no time to read the above,so hope not repeating!
Horse was shod in the Blackie's,but this is never done now.
The Blacksmith takes the shoe to the horse.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral