Forums
Posted By: Erainn Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 12:10pm
In a recent exchange with a fellow contibutor the subject of favorite sweets of the past arose and it got me thinking about those wonderful corner-shops that were all over Birkenhead. Full to the brim with an endlesss variety of sweets and drinks, they were an essential part of the day, either to/from school or stocking-up for a day's play in the park.

So thought it may be fun to recall our favorite sweet shops of yesteryear and the preferred sweets you could just not resist. I'll start proceedings by nominating a shop known as 'Jacks', which was at the top of Park Road East, junction with Park Road South opposite Cole Street School. Choosing my best sweet is really toughwith so many contenders: McGowan's Highland Toffee, coconut mushrooms, american hard gums, the list could go on, possible finalists maybe either Aztec(exotic choccie bar) or Golden Nuggets (came in a small canvas 'cash-bag, cowboy style). Nor after a three hour game of footie could I resist either a bottle of cream-soda, or if it was really hot, a Jubilee...

Posted By: bert1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 12:13pm
I've said on here before, Uncle Joe's mint balls, but not this modern day prepacked rubbish, the ones that were stuck together in the jar and had to be eaten with most of the paper bag stuck to them.
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 12:17pm
You may be interested in this site, sweets from the past!

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 12:22pm
We used to go in that corner shop by Cole st after playing football in the park.I can remember frozen jubblys (jubilees?)
always wanted one like the slush you can get now not the really frozen solid ones you had bang against something hard to try to loosen up.Also Refreshers and Love hearts.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 12:25pm
Bah, humbug!!

...I deffo think these Wikiwirral posts are turning into 'Carry On' comedy scripts.

You keep your Uncle Joe's sticky mint balls to yourself bert!

Posted By: Historybook Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 1:39pm
Reading this thread has flickered a brain cell or two into life, and with regard to the corner shop's as far as i know there are exactly none left from my youth.

All the ones i can think of are now either private houses or have gone alltogether, thinking about it now i can see that most of the owners where heading for retirement and when they decided to call it a day the shop closed !.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 2:17pm
Like most kids I loved all the regular sweet varieties but also found myself buying things like cough drops etc., just to get the tins.

Anyone remember 'Zubes', or those tiny, tiny little tins called 'Tics'? Always very useful for keeping pet insects in ...like your favourite wood louse.

Bert's Uncle Joe used to keep his mint balls in tins also , but they were generally out of my price range.

Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 2:32pm
The shop I remember best is still there, but very different now from the mid-70s. It was on Poulton Rd, between Lindeth Ave and Ilford Ave, and I used to go in there on the way out of Somerville Middle School. Was it called Brews? It was the penny tray that I liked - white mice, flying saucers, etc. Anyone remember a chewy sweet in a ?blue and white wrapper which was sweet egg-and-milk flavour? (Sounds disgusting as I write it here, but I used to love them.) There was another shop opposite and further along (corner of Clifford Road?) that had less stock but did ice pops (long plastic tubes) as well as the cupped ice drinks. Remember having terrible diarrhoea after one of those! Other memories - fizz bombs; a chocolate coated bar with a texture like Crunchie bars but different flavours (can't remember what they were called); coconut shreds like tobacco; and my favourite - cinnamon flavoured tictacs! They were only available for a short while.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 2:42pm
Pineapple chunks, coca cola cubes, drumsticks, bon bons, treacle toffee, highland toffeE bars 5p small, 10p large smile
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 2:54pm
It was some shop for sure smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 2:55pm
4 shops for sweets I remember as a kid were
1 the one by Cole st when leaving the park after footie
2 the one at the bottom of Wilson st over the road from St Andrews Square
3 top end of Exmouth St when going to the 5d rush at the Astor saturday afternoons
4 Going the Ritz 6d on a saturday morning in Oliver st just on the corner of the side st(now Stairway block) opposite the Firemans' pub where you got a packet of broken crisps for 1d instead of smiths with the little blue bag of salt 4d?
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 3:10pm
ahhh yes the sweet tobacco smile
Posted By: Christo Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 3:40pm
Used to love the little shop by my nan's - at the junction of Ingleby Road/New Ferry Road in New Ferry - Mrs Burnhams. Amazing rainbow coloured sherbert in jars! (Mrs Burnham herself amazed me - didn't matter how much she aged, she always looked the same, with her black beehive!) smile
Posted By: Christo Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 4:08pm
...and Olde English Spangles and Texan bars! Yum! popcorn
Posted By: little_pob Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 4:15pm
Originally Posted by Hoofhearted
You may be interested in this site, sweets from the past!

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/
The Sweet Box in Liscard (opposite the Tesco Express) has a few "yesteryear" favourites too: fruit mushrooms, japs, Pontefract cakes, spogs, bon bons, chewing nuts...

Probably cheaper to buy in bulk from aquaterof et al, but not everyone wants 250g (just over ½lb).
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 4:50pm
Anyone else come across, all those years back, liquorice root?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 4:50pm
The shop across the road from Brews (Brewsters??) in Poulton was called Collicks. They sold sweets as well as certain groceries. You could even go in and buy loose cigarettes, if I remember rightly. There was another sweet shop just before Brews called Nancy & Bills. But that was quite a long time ago.

Think the sweet tobacco you describe was called something like 'Spanish Gold'.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 4:57pm
...if by liquorice root you mean the "real" twiggy sticks, you can still actually get them in places like health food stores.

Don't think I'd have bothered eating them though if I'd ever realized they were healthy...
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:01pm
precisely the twigs..they were sold as sweets during those days.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:19pm
Originally Posted by Erainn
Anyone else come across, all those years back, liquorice root?

We used to call it 'sticky lice'!!! (Yukkk)
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:21pm
Originally Posted by geekus
The shop across the road from Brews (Brewsters??) in Poulton was called Collicks.

Collicks - how appropriate!!! (I'm still thinking about my diarrhoea!! smile )
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:21pm
hahah great name, I recall after the first rush of flavour, all you had left was a fibrous mass, sure not high up there in the swap a sweet trade in school smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:25pm
...on that basis, maybe I should have eaten the lolly-stick whenever I had a Fab.

Didn't know they were supplied as added roughage!
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:25pm
Anyone remember the penny bubblies?! they used to be big an thick an round an all wrapped separate, hard to chew at first but they lasted for ages an the flavour was lovely! got to blow some big bubbles with them too! whistle
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:31pm
Were they pink, round gum?
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:40pm
Yes! you remember?
Posted By: Historybook Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:42pm
One of my favorite buys used to a tin of Top Deck shandy and a packet of Savoury Vinegar crisps, the bigger shops never seemed to sell either.
Come to think of it i've not seen them on sale for years but then i don't think i've realy looked !.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:42pm
I know the chewy you mean and, yes, they were quite a gob full.

Kinda prefered Bazooka Joes though. I always liked the little comic that came inside the wrapper, even if the jokes were always garbage.
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:47pm
Originally Posted by Christo
Used to love the little shop by my nan's - at the junction of Ingleby Road/New Ferry Road in New Ferry - Mrs Burnhams. Amazing rainbow coloured sherbert in jars! (Mrs Burnham herself amazed me - didn't matter how much she aged, she always looked the same, with her black beehive!) smile

We used to go in there! we called it "nicco-nells" coz she was always smokin! an she used to leave all boxes of stuff in the window an theyd all fade in the sun! yumyum
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 5:48pm
Top Deck! Now there's a memory.

I liked the fact that after the sweet shops had all closed, you could still nip down the chippy and get a can of Top Deck (or Tizer)as well as a packet of crisps.

Anyone remember 'Ringos'???
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 6:00pm
You post brought back the memory smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 7:01pm
Another favourite of mine was Rhubarb and custard, also i had loads of aniseed balls, as recommended by my Doctor as a cure for travel sickness.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 7:31pm
This will date me. I can just remember having to take my ration book just to buy my favourite pear drops at Mickleboroughs in Wellington Road. I'm sure I got more than I was entitled to !!
Posted By: cathcart Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 7:40pm
i used to love rosebuds in the 50s used to get them from shop on the corner of marion street and adelphi street. also the sweets that used to have football stories wrapped round them. so many sweet shops around.
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 8:48pm
Sherbit pips, Aztec bars, dipped flakes, an gettin beechnut chewies from the big machines on the wall outside the shop!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 9:03pm
Some of this delectable stuff was made in Birkenhead!

Attached picture Scan-110206-0001.jpg
Posted By: cathcart Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 9:21pm
i used to hate that wood liquorice.
Posted By: scooterboy Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 10:11pm
remember a sweet shop in the 60's in Beach Grove of Holland Road Wallasey which moved next door to the Magazine (Mags) pub used to call in on the way to Vaughan Road school
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Feb 2011 11:37pm
Think the shop by the Mags was called "Eve's". Either that or the woman who ran it was called Eve. Couldn't say for sure though. Maybe somebody else will remember her.

Posted By: Tatey Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 6:12am
Think the shop by the Mags was called "Eve's". Either that or the woman who ran it was called Eve. Couldn't say for sure though. Maybe somebody else will remember her.

I think the shop in Beach was run by my friends Mum, Mrs. Woods, his name was Ken.

Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 12:32pm
Don't know about the Beach Grove shop, it was probably before my time. But there was certainly another sweet shop on the corner of Mariner's Rd (opposite The Pilot Boat), just a stone's throw from The Mags.

I'm fairly sure that one was called "Eve's Shop" and was run by Eve (Boumphrey?). Could be wrong, but I seem to think she was related to Ian Boumphrey the local historian.

The building still stands but is now a private house, and is easily identified by the old cartwheel which hangs up on the wall.
Posted By: Helles Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 8:09pm
Originally Posted by BettyTurnip1
Sherbit pips, Aztec bars, dipped flakes, an gettin beechnut chewies from the big machines on the wall outside the shop!

If the arrow on the knob was pointing towards you, you got two packets of chewy for the price of one. There was another one as well as beechnut but can't remember the name.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 9:11pm
...I could be way off mark, but didn't the other chewing gum brand have an abstract name like XY gum, or XYZ? Something like that.

Posted By: Helles Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 9:47pm
There was one with a name like that but think the other one was arrow something or other. One was in a white packet and the other green I think?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 10:01pm
It was wrigley's arrowmint, there was also Bazookas, penny sambos, and penny bubble gum out of the (photo) machine, possibly xyz gum.

Attached picture 42-21053719.jpg
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 11:00pm
Bang on with that gum name
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 11:04pm
Such a machine, on a stand, was outside a sweet shop, towards the top of Exmouth Street I recall, maybe near where the Fire Station was built. Anyway, the machine at that time had gum , but also badges of such great popsters as the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five etc. I remember there was occasional shaking of said machine to influence the outcome smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 11:11pm
the pink round bubblegum was anglo bubbly
Posted By: Stranger Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 7th Feb 2011 11:33pm
Mr Felix's on Arglye St South on the corner of Helena St.
Penny sweets such as Mojo's, Fruit Salad, Black Jacks, Arrow Bars. A thin strip of Cadbury's chocolate wrapped in purple foil for 1/2d, sherbet dabs, sweet cigarettes, gob stoppers, sour grape chewys, toffee strips, cinder toffee, flying saucers, nougat bars that needed jaws like King Kong to chew.........Happy days...Most of them contained so many additives and E numbers that if you tried selling them today you'd go straight to jail laugh
Posted By: cathcart Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 6:05am
think it was arrowmint.
Posted By: starakita Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 10:07am
Originally Posted by Stranger
Mr Felix's on Arglye St South on the corner of Helena St.
Penny sweets such as Mojo's, Fruit Salad, Black Jacks, Arrow Bars. A thin strip of Cadbury's chocolate wrapped in purple foil for 1/2d, sherbet dabs, sweet cigarettes, gob stoppers, sour grape chewys, toffee strips, cinder toffee, flying saucers, nougat bars that needed jaws like King Kong to chew.........Happy days...Most of them contained so many additives and E numbers that if you tried selling them today you'd go straight to jail laugh
also further down there was passeys and later Harry took it over it stayed open later than Felix.
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 10:51am
me mum always went on about frys coffee creme
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 11:25am
Expensive tastes wink Was yummy indeed!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 11:25am
Flashback....arrow bars :)))
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 12:02pm
Ma Gorringe's in Price Street, she only had one eye and the other had a plaster over her glasses to shield it. Remember lemon sherberts when they first came out, fantastic. In those days though they actually had some sherbert in them not the things you get now with rock all in 'em. Sherbert dabs were another thing that came out once rationing finished. Liquorice sticks were actual bits of wood which we chewed on and they made your gob go black. Locust was another sweet substitute, this was a kind of dried bean pod and I think it was also used to make "Camp" coffee which was a coffee substitute because you couldn't get the real thing. Condensed milk was another sweet source. Toffee apples when you could get the sugar to make them. I think some people had a black market source of sugar because they would make toffee apples and flog them There was a crisp factory in Price Street as well and you could get a packet for a penny. All kinds of other stuff running through my bonce at the moment e.g. Wagon Wheels coming out and they were huge compared to the ones you get now.
oldman
Posted By: scooterboy Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 1:39pm
the sweet shop by the magazine pub and before in Beach Grove was called Mrs Woods it must have had an extension to the front because the building now is slightly back from the kerb
Posted By: kimpri Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 2:33pm
pembertons shop oxton rd
Parma violets,
Spanish gold,
liquorice imps /imperial imps,(in little tins)
frizzells,
rainbow drops,
bazooka Joe's
fruit salads,
bulls eyes,
cough candy twists,
cough cops
Cherry lips
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 3:05pm
Remember too that sweets were priced for 2oz or quarters, all served from a big jar. No E numbers then either, just honest to goodness white death. When the rationing was lifted we didn't have much dosh to buy sweets anyway but made money by taking jam jars, pop bottles, beer bottles etc back for the deposit money, nice little earner.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 3:32pm
We used to go to Lucy's, Wallasey Village at the bottom of Perrin Rd. (about where the Drs is now). Remember all those old sweets, Penny Arrow bars (loved those!) various 'Chews' (were they 4 for a penny?) - I seem to remember a milk-flavoured one?! And of course all the sweets in jars in rows on the shelves - sold loose, by the quarter (shopkeeper used to twirl the bag by its corners to close it!) or smaller amounts (2oz?) in little triangular shaped paper bags? And "Trebor" sweets - which we thought must be "Robert" spelled backwards!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 4:29pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
And "Trebor" sweets - which we thought must be "Robert" spelled backwards!

One of the founders of Trebor was Robert Robertson, so yes, probably.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 5:03pm
I vaguely remember the milk flavoured chews you refer to. Think they had a picture of a cow on the wrapper (?). Then there were Fruit Salads, of course, as well as Black Jacks. I don't suppose they'd sell Black Jacks nowadays - probably politically incorrect. Refreshers were also a very nice chew, particularly if you liked sherbet.

One of my favourite sweets were Midget Gems (especially the black ones). And you could buy Sports Mixtures loose and use the different shapes (boots, jerseys, bats & balls, etc)to make into little sports figures.

Posted By: sparky Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 5:23pm
I remember the shop in Magazine Brow, would always go there on the way to play in Vale Park. I remember Fizz Bombs, Kola Cubes, Rainbow Drops and Rainbow Crystals which made my tongue sore because I ate too much. Those were the days.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 10:35pm
I asked on another thread, but does anyone remember a sweetshop by Guinea Gap Baths? It was by the bus stop and we'd go in there while we were waiting for the bus back to school. Always a rush to be first in just in case the bus came!

Also - Mrs Worthington's at the Martin's Lane end of Greenwood Lane.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 10:44pm

Yes Mrs Burnhams, she used to have 2 helpers, peggy and Audrey O'Gorman and sometimes Audreys daughter Ann O'Gorman. Mrs Burnham used to have a thing with a local Bookie Sid Butcher who used to have his shop in Marquis street.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 11:04pm
mr felix was a miserable old git used to make you hurry up and pick your sweets to get you out of the shop
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 11:10pm
...was the shop near Guinea Gap the one on the street corner, directly opposite the baths but on the other side of Brighton Street?

Seem to remember there used to be a sort of shop/snack bar inside Guinea Gap as well. Although it probably got replaced by vending machines.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Feb 2011 11:30pm
...was the shop near Guinea Gap the one on the street corner, directly opposite the baths but on the other side of Brighton Street?

Seem to remember there used to be a sort of shop/snack bar inside Guinea Gap as well. Although it probably got replaced by vending machines.

I only remember vending machines (this would be early 1970s). The taste of Pepsi always reminds me of the feel of chlorine on your face after a swim!

It was definitely on Brighton St opposite the baths, but I reckon it was next door to where the Londis store is now. (On Google street view it looks boarded up.)
Posted By: kimpri Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 12:39am
caramac

Description: caramac
Attached picture caramac.jpg

Description: aztec
Attached picture aztec.jpg

Description: amazin
Attached picture amazin.jpg

Description: pink panther
Attached picture pink panther.jpg

Description: spangles
Attached picture spangles3.jpg

Description: wham
Attached picture whams.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 12:55am
Loved caramacs! grin
i remembered 'spangles' as fruit flavoured polo mints, if that makes sense. Obviously not! What were they called? think
Unless its the illustrated packaging that i dont recognise?
Posted By: masterbun Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 3:07am
Fussels condensed milk - not a sweet but mmmmmm
Then there were Mars Bars, Crunchies, Lion Bars
Posted By: Tatey Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 5:57am
[quote=Roslynmuse]I asked on another thread, but does anyone remember a sweetshop by Guinea Gap Baths? It was by the bus stop and we'd go in there while we were waiting for the bus back to school. Always a rush to be first in just in case the bus came!

I well remember a sweetshop behind the bus stop on Brighton Street, near Guinea Gap Baths.
Possibly around 1955? There used to be a wonderfull glass ball machine that made fizzy drinks (before pop was invented I think)Just had a look on Google street view & it would have been in a row of shop houses behind where the traffic light is now for the pedestrian crossing & to the left of "Aqualogic". Think I have seen a mention somewhere about this drinks machine. I used to catch the number 2 I think back to Wallasey Village.
Posted By: starakita Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 10:04am
loved aztec bars spangles especially the old english lion midget gems I liked the black ones peppermint & spearmint chews black jacks fruit salad refreshers penny arrow bars frys chocolate cream they used to do a fruit centered one opal fruits marathon bar
Posted By: chriskay Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 11:10am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Loved caramacs! grin
i remembered 'spangles' as fruit flavoured polo mints, if that makes sense. Obviously not! What were they called? think
Unless its the illustrated packaging that i dont recognise?

Weren't they called Polo Fruits? Spangles were definitely square.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 11:15am
They were called Polo fruits, a fruity version of polo mints, i can recall the time i had a packet of polo mints and came across a polo fruit in the packet, strawberry flavor. In America, polo mints are called life savers, so a yank once told me, for obvious reasons i expect.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 11:22am
spangles smile clicky
Posted By: bert1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 11:35am
Old English spangles were the worst and then there was Halls mentholyptus and Victory Vs if you had a clogged up nose.
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 4:26pm
Galaxy counters in a little packet, those blackjacks -youre teeth would turn black when you ate them!
I remember Ringo s and Ranchero s -yum!
we had a choice of either Smiths crips from the chippy, or Golden Wonder from our little corner shop. The golden Wonder had like 'little windows' in the front of the packet where you could see the crisps in the packet. I used to go through them in the box for the 'strongest' some of the smokey bacon ones would be bright orange with flavour! yumyum
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 5:08pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Old English spangles were the worst and then there was Halls mentholyptus and Victory Vs if you had a clogged up nose.
"It's Victory V Weather again"
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 6:43pm
Remember the Smith's "Salt & Shake" crisps, with the little blue salt bag?

And was it the Smiths or Golden Wonder packets which always had a little Scotsman(?) character on the back?? Think he was a Scotsman as he always sported a highland bobble cap.

Weird the things that stick in the memory, isn't it?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 6:52pm
old sweets no longer made smile clicky
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 7:02pm
http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory.php?memID=5250
Posted By: Teardrop Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 7:16pm
kip!!! you do know I've got to buy some now x my eyes are like popping out my head.
Posted By: Teardrop Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 7:18pm
anyone remember imps?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 9:12pm
imps

Attached picture imps.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 9:54pm
Remember the Smith's "Salt & Shake" crisps, with the little blue salt bag?

And was it the Smiths or Golden Wonder packets which always had a little Scotsman(?) character on the back?? Think he was a Scotsman as he always sported a highland bobble cap.

Weird the things that stick in the memory, isn't it?

When some of us were kids, all they had was plain crisps with a little bag of salt. Sometimes you got more than one bag of salt and we thought it was good. In reality we probably got less crisps!

My aunt and uncle once owned the shop by the baths. The small kiosk inside the baths used to do soup which was our favourite. Probably a tanner but maybe less? Memory going!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Feb 2011 10:19pm
Wonder if they sold those crisps at the cinema? You could probably have choked to death on one of those salt bags if you were eating them in the dark!

Thanks for confirming my memory about the kiosk. It's nice to know I've not gone completely do-lally. Think I liked the hot Bovril more than soup though...

Posted By: Maisie Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 4:02pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Originally Posted by BettyTurnip1

If the arrow on the knob was pointing towards you, you got two packets of chewy for the price of one. There was another one as well as beechnut but can't remember the name.

Mt dad always had a packet in his jacket pocket, there was beechnut and my dad's favourite was PK...he used to tell me it was made specially for him, becuase his intials were PK...hahaa
Posted By: Maisie Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 4:10pm
Here we are good old PK chewing gum...

Attached picture Wrigleys1.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 4:26pm

The one I remember looked like this ...

Attached picture Wrigleys2.jpg
Posted By: janet Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 5:28pm
I think the shop behind bus stop was Sadie's. Eric's used to be on the corner where the Londis shop stands. smile
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 5:45pm
Originally Posted by janet
I think the shop behind bus stop was Sadie's. Eric's used to be on the corner where the Londis shop stands. smile

Thanks, Janet!
Posted By: Maisie Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 13th Feb 2011 5:58pm
Originally Posted by uptoncx

The one I remember looked like this ...

Yep that's the one...hahaa...I couldn't find the pic!!!
Posted By: starakita Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 23rd Feb 2011 8:14pm
went to lidl in rock ferry on Tuesday & spotted some bags of fruit salad & black jacks just eating them now, yummy
Posted By: TheDr Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 23rd Feb 2011 10:46pm
There's a new sweet shop in Bebington (next to the bathroom store where the solicitors used to be).

I went in there today, they have all the sweets in jars and sell them by the 100g (which from my childhood memory seemed a LOT less than a 1/4).

Lots of the older sweets in there and a fair few that I haven't seen in years, couldn't see any Bazooka Joe though...
Posted By: Geekus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 23rd Feb 2011 10:54pm
...used to make my eyes hurt trying to read the tiny writing on the Bazooka Joe Comics. Seem to remember the writing got ridiculously small on the bottom couple of lines were they printed some great words of wisdom, or some kind of 'fortune'.

Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 24th Feb 2011 12:02am
nerds I use to love as a kid or Apple Jacks use to go in to the shop on the Holmlands (forbuoys) and ask for 100 of them lol
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 24th Feb 2011 3:07pm

ahh yes,Mrs Burnham,remember her well,and Talbots further along,and Shorrocks the news agent were we would get bundles of wood to light the fire[when we had coal fires],the chippy[still there],the chandlers next to Talbots,Mr Talbot always found a penny behind my ear!and he would draw a ring on my finger or he would give me the wrapper off a quality street sweet to wear as a ring! opposite Mrs Burnhams was the co-op----------all gone now---------all turned into flats----shame!
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 15th Mar 2011 3:47pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I've said on here before, Uncle Joe's mint balls, but not this modern day prepacked rubbish, the ones that were stuck together in the jar and had to be eaten with most of the paper bag stuck to them.

i remember uncle joe's mint balls,my Great Gran always had a bag of those in her bag and she would give me one, and yes they were the old type---sticky with the paper bag stuck to them, they always remind me of Great Gran.
Posted By: Jule71 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 20th May 2011 4:04pm
Loved going to the sweet shop in Irby village which we called Donnas for some reason. They had a massive table in the middle of the shop full of penny sweets... Its a pet shop now...x
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 20th May 2011 4:20pm
www.aquarterof.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=wooden+box&x=0&y=0
Posted By: lasherlal Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Aug 2011 12:54am
DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER BETTY DUDDY,S SHOP AND REAGLE REENIES SHOP OVER THE ROAD FROM THE BLUEBELL PUB JUST OF CLEVELAND STREET BHEAD MERSEYSIDE MY 2 FAVOURITE SHOPS EVER RAINBOW DROPS WITH ADHD IN THEM AND WHAM BARS 1 LICK AND YOUD HAVE A MINI STROKE, AWSOME AND TOFFY LOGS 2P WATA CHILDHOOD XXX
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Aug 2011 12:58am
yep sure do,i used to send my dog for the paper to reenies!
Posted By: benkat Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 10th Aug 2011 10:18pm
haha 2 oz
i still go to say 2 oz when ordering sweets for my kids now.....!! laugh
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Remember too that sweets were priced for 2oz or quarters, all served from a big jar. No E numbers then either, just honest to goodness white death. When the rationing was lifted we didn't have much dosh to buy sweets anyway but made money by taking jam jars, pop bottles, beer bottles etc back for the deposit money, nice little earner.
Posted By: David_Challinor Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th Oct 2011 10:01pm
Gay Cards on Borough Road, at the bottom of Clarence Road. The old version of the shop opposite the Plaza which used to be an out-and-out newsagents long ago (now a general late night shop)...even further back, do ANY of you recall a sweet shop opposite the Sportsmans pub on Prenton Road East, on the corner of a block of houses? Venetian blinds hid the goodies contained inside. A rare treat on the seemingly long walk home from Bedford Drive School for a 6 year old lad.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Oct 2011 10:53am
If you mean diagonally opposite the Sportsman's pub, where there is now a shop called the Prenton Pop-In, I certainly remember a sweet shop there. I sometimes used to visit it on my way home from Well Lane school. Can't remember Venetian blinds though.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th Oct 2011 11:42am
Mrs. Waller's sweet shop in Wallasey Village for home made ice cream. It was close to the Phoenix.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 30th Nov 2011 3:20am
Originally Posted by David_Challinor
Gay Cards on Borough Road, at the bottom of Clarence Road. The old version of the shop opposite the Plaza which used to be an out-and-out newsagents long ago (now a general late night shop)...even further back, do ANY of you recall a sweet shop opposite the Sportsmans pub on Prenton Road East, on the corner of a block of houses? Venetian blinds hid the goodies contained inside. A rare treat on the seemingly long walk home from Bedford Drive School for a 6 year old lad.

I remember the sweet shop opposite the Sportsmans you're talking of yes, when I was about 5-6 (1967-68) we called it Lobo's because the man who owned it had a black labrador dog called Lobo. We'd go there on a Tuesday night after going to my Nin's ( nan) house in Everest Rd After Mr Lobo left it was owned by a Mr Charlesworth but the shop was never as well stocked nor was the new owner as friendly.
It's a house now and rumour has it that the place is haunted ( info from a friend of mine who used to live in it) eek
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 30th Nov 2011 3:23am
Does anyone remember Mr Morgan's sweet shop on Church rd just by the Black Horse pub? He made the most delicious ice cream. He would never give his recipe to my Mum who would ask him for it all the time
Posted By: dalziel2111 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 4th Jan 2012 4:35pm
hi jubilee and spearmint lollies from oliveries conway street do you remember
Posted By: yoller Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 4th Jan 2012 5:16pm
Does anyone remember YZ chewing gum machines which were on the wall outside many sweet shops?

Their symbol was the head of an owl (wise head - get it?). The big selling point was that with every fourth packet of gum, an extra packet came down the chute.

I can't recall how much a packet cost - probably about 6d. You could hang around the machine and wait until three people had used it, then nip in and get two packets for the price of one. Failing that, you could club together with three pals and make sure of the bonus packet.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 4th Jan 2012 5:24pm
It was when the arrow on the twist knob was pointing forward, that you got the two packets of YZ gum. Yes, we used to keep an eye on the one outside the sweetshop at the bottom of Woodchurch Lane. Ready to pounce when it was about to cough two packets up!

I may be wrong, but I "think" it was 3d a packet when I was at school (?) (Late 50's)
Posted By: yoller Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 4th Jan 2012 5:39pm
The arrow pointing forward - of course! Thanks for reminding me. It's brought back memories of us kids watching that arrow like hawks (not owls!)

And you're right - 6d sounds a bit dear. That was quite big money for a kid in the late 50s. Threepence a packet is much more likely.
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 4th Jan 2012 6:00pm
Williams's towards Beb Station or Jones's Beb village were my sweetshops (Newsagents)of choice.

Anyone remember Toffee Buttons (circa 1967-71) as advertised by Rolf Harris.

The best ice cream you could get was from Buckley's Dairy in New Ferry .....mmmmmmmmmm ...

Attached picture Toffee-Buttons-1971.jpg
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 3rd Apr 2012 6:44am
The best one I remember was Allisons owned by Mr Allison it was between the Coop on the corner of Conway Place and the Church on the corner of Eldon Street next to the chip shop the gentleman always wore a tweed coat tweed trousers and always had a smile for everyone including the kids who invaded the shop before school and after school.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 3rd Apr 2012 6:06pm
I must send my apology the sweet shop i was talking about was owned by Mr Ashworh not Allison I must have had a senior moment, Mr Ashworth lived above the coop and the entrance to his house was in Conway Place near the stables. sorry
Posted By: chris58 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 3rd Apr 2012 7:04pm
memories of Gaycards on borough road sweet counters either side as you went in and cards and gifts up the steps at the back of the shop. my eyes would be on organ stops as a kid when I used to go in at all the sweets. I used to get penny sweets in the week but my treat at the weekend if I had "been a good girl" was a fry's turkish delight - they cost a whole 6d!
Anyone remember the advert for Treets - they melt in your mouth not in your hand. The hand with a white glove on showing they didnt melt!!
Posted By: David_Challinor Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 10th Apr 2012 11:24pm
'Love to think the memories of Gay Cards live on, despite the word having a completely new meaning today...I recall two actual moments in the shop - one in the upper level of the shop when I'd been to the GP as a boy of 7 or 8 yo and nagged my mum a little for a Enid Blyton book [Famous 5 etc, kids go to a farm story] which I never actually read in the end (oh! the guilt!)
The other two or three years later, at the lower shop level, aged 9, trying to find out what my sisters (then 22 and 16) were plotting) ...it was my mum's surprise 48th birthday party (she was 48 on January 8 1973) which dates it, and they were unsure whether to tell me as they didn't trust whether I could keep the secret!
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th May 2012 2:29pm
Bryants... my mum used to go there armed with a bag of sugar. I'm not sure if that got her a discount or it took away the need for ration coupons, but I know there was definitely an advantage to it.
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th May 2012 12:10pm
PINK CREAM SODA SHERBERT MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Posted By: rosieb Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th May 2012 1:43pm
a penny arrow bar / 4 black jacks/4 walkers or fruit salads
Posted By: Norton Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th May 2012 2:10pm
Cadburys Bar Six, for 6d. Made at the Moreton factory in the 1960's. They were rather like a KitKat, but the six 'bars' went the opposite way to KitKat's 'fingers'.

Staff could buy the mis-shapes in a plain brown wrapped pack of 12 for 2/6d. The mis-shapes tended to have too much chocolate covering or filling to pass quality controll.
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 8th May 2012 3:25pm
spearmint mojos 2 for a penny
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th May 2012 6:32pm
This thread tickles me because I own a sweet shop and we still have a lot of the ones you are remembering - many in jars that are sold in 100gs yet we still call them quarters. laugh

I remember Jacks opposite Cole Street School (my primary). You could get a glass or plastic cup of ginger beer for 2d if my memory serves me correctly.

I used to get sweets from Mrs. Bunces on Greenway Road/Derby Road and there was a shop at the top of Fountain Street that had a round silver tray of penny sweets that they would bring out on a request that we wanted to see the Penny Tray. As someone else mentioned Cadbury did small bars of chocolate for 1d or 2d.

My favourites were 4 Walkers toffees for 1d or 2 black jacks and 2 fruit salads for 1d.

Does anyone remember the solid squares in orange or raspberry that you used to dissolve in water to make a drink? Weren't they a form of Creamola Foam? We had a new version of Creamola Foam in the shop before Christmas but no one could remember the solid squares. frown

Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th May 2012 6:36pm
anybody remember the hedgehog flavoured crisps?how did people come up with these ideas?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th May 2012 6:59pm
Creamola Foam. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy !
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th May 2012 7:06pm
Old Mrs Gorringe's on Price Street, with Jones's another sweet shop opposite. Mrs Gorringe had one good eye, the other being covered by a plaster. Jones's sold out to someone else but I can't remember who. Used to buy a bag of sherbert, or there were penny toffees. Sherbert Lemons came out, which were a bit of a revelation at the time. Sticks of wooden liquorice, sherbert dabs, home made toffee apples, barley sugar twists, cough drops, bullseyes, liquorice allsorts. There wasn't much we could actually get, sugar rationing after the war kept sweets to a minimum as far as I can remember. No obesity for kids or attention deficite sydrome then , you was either fat or thick.
Posted By: granny Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 9th May 2012 8:49pm
Originally Posted by rosieb
a penny arrow bar / 4 black jacks/4 walkers or fruit salads

Remember them well along with Berts barley sugar and sherbert dabs.

Love Hearts...how many generations have they been about for?

Has cinder toffee been mentioned yet? Wrecked our teeth and I think it's still around.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 10th May 2012 6:36am
No obesity for kids or attention deficite sydrome then , you was either fat or thick.

raftl
Posted By: petethebike Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 10th May 2012 1:02pm
The only fat kids in my school in the '50s (Riverside in Seacombe) had dads who were either a docker, butcher or chipshop proprietor.
Posted By: granny Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 10th May 2012 3:10pm
Swizzles and flying saucers.
Does anyone remember 'duck,new potatoes and peas'? Yes, they were sweets!

Posted By: dougthepiano Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 29th Mar 2013 9:40pm
My great grand parents ran a sweet shop in Grange Rd [ No 164 ] in the 1890s - named Cartlidge - - Any photo,s PLEASE
Posted By: valli Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Apr 2013 12:17am
Originally Posted by granny
Swizzles and flying saucers.
Does anyone remember 'duck,new potatoes and peas'? Yes, they were sweets!

Yes granny I remember all of the sweets you mentioned I liked flying saucers but on tasting them now there foul, how our taste buds change.Our sweet shops in Oxton rd Birkenead were Peberdys and Mays and on the way to Cole st school there was the corner shop on Henthorne st, next was Jacks opposite the school yard. I used to like Everybodys mix they were a mix of boiled sweets .black jacks and cough candy twists.Also my mum would get me some cheese straws from Reeces these were my favorite and they still taste the same today as they did then, when I was five back in 1963.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Apr 2013 6:38am
Happy days i used to be the paperboy at mays shop in the 80s and then move up oxton road to Heycrofts which was oppiste Alec green bike shop.Remeber Mrs May giving us sweets for free.She look after her Paperboys.

Also Valli i got two box of sweet from my works as i was leaving
Posted By: joney Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Apr 2013 2:44pm
I remember the sweet shop opposite cole st school being called the Park Mecca. We used to go there on the way home from the Yozzers or Mr Mathers academy for young gentlemen as we used to call it.
Posted By: valli Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Apr 2013 4:21pm
Yes it was the Park Mecca but we always called it Jacks, Maybe because it was easier for me to say as I was only a tot when I first went there.Happy days, I loved my childhood growing up down town. Birkenhead lost a lot of its character when they knocked down all the little streets, but memories are precious.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 6th Apr 2013 4:31pm
withthat
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 11th Apr 2013 1:42pm
Ah Jacks was the spot alright, seem to recall that 'sweet tobacco' was a fave at one time, along with sweets called I think 'golden nuggets' that came in a little bag with a dollar sign smile
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 11th Apr 2013 1:43pm
Jacks indeed!
Posted By: dave2745 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 16th Apr 2013 6:53am
Yes, I remember that sweet tobacco, "Spanish Gold" and of course there were also sweet cigarettes, but my favourites were chocolate cigarettes that looked like real cigarettes. If I remember rightly, you could eat the white paper that covered the chocolate cigarette. Does anyone remember the chocolate smoker's kit that was usually sold around Christmas that contained a pipe, cigar and lighter and a couple of other smoking-related things? - all made of chocolate, of course. I imagine the politically correct brigade would have a field day if those kind of confectionery items were available today. nono
Posted By: dave2745 Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 16th Apr 2013 7:10am
On the subject of sweets of old and old sweet shops... Does anyone remember a sweet shop a little further up from the Essoldo cinema, Claughton Road (and heading towards Argyle Street). I can't remember the name of the shop but they sold homemade sweets and had all these mouth watering delights on display in their window. My favourites were their blocks of Coconut Ice and a quarter of Coconut Fudge (fudge generously covered in flakes of coconut... Absolutely scrumptious!) My brothers and I would make a beeline for the shop, especially if we were going to the pictures to watch the Saturday Matinee.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 19th Apr 2013 11:01am
ahhhh 'Spanish Gold' smile
Posted By: Paulie Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 3rd Jun 2013 9:59am
Does anyone remember the little sweet shop on the corner of Leander Rd, close to Oldershaw School?

Back in the late 70s the lady that ran the place would sell looseys to kids, I used to be in there every day on the way to school. It's been converted back to a bungalow now.
Posted By: Icarus Re: Favorite Sweet Shops/Sweets - 5th Jun 2013 2:25am
Bandycoot reminded me of Gorindges Sweetshop ....they also sold Peanut Toffee Brittle .....and he's absolutely right about the size of Wagon Wheels .....they were big...you really felt that you had something to chew on ....they also sold iced mint white mice.....everything your dentist told you not to eat.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral