Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 12:49pm

Old print of the Red Noses in New Brighton. This would be about where the Cliff flats are now. Some of the old houses in the background are still there

Attached picture rednoses.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 1:01pm
Nice print Pablo - any idea of the year?
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 1:04pm
Phew! I'll have another mosey. The Fort and lighthouse are in situ, so that's a clue. Offhand, and it's just a guess, I'd say 1820-1840
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 1:22pm
This was discussed previously in THIS thread. published 1842 so very good guess.

The original drawing/illustration/engraving was by Bartlett but may have been coloured by someone else whose name I forget. I think there was some evidence it may have been the other way round. So I don't think I mentioned it on that thread.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 1:24pm
Nice one DD. Thanks for that
Posted By: davew3 Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 3:34pm
When did they modify the fort as we see it today,the front facing the sea has been chopped down a few feet
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 4:54pm
Don't forget this is only an illustration, not a photograph. There is quite a degree of artistic licence.

The slopes on the fort wall are out of proportion, I think the following may also be true .....

The rock on the right hand side of the picture looks like it has been turned almost 90 degrees compared to other early pictures. It looks similar to the side of the rock but in this picture it is shown as the promontory.

There is also something wrong on the placement of the houses.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Red Noses New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 6:15pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
This was discussed previously in THIS thread. published 1842 so very good guess.

The original drawing/illustration/engraving was by Bartlett but may have been coloured by someone else whose name I forget. I think there was some evidence it may have been the other way round. So I don't think I mentioned it on that thread.

The book, in two volumes, was not printed in colour. The books were often broken apart and the prints then hand water-coloured to make them more atractive for framing. I have the print uploaded and there is no indication of who tinted it in the hundred years before I bought it. The colouring is pretty crude compared to some I have. The book is on Google Books, with a very flowery description of New Brighton by William Beattie!

Bri
Posted By: pablo42 Red Noses - 10th Jul 2012 11:33am

Red Noses before they built the prom. There is only a small bit of sandstone to be seen today

Attached picture the-red-noses-new-brighton.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral