Forums
Posted By: Helles St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 10:32am
St Johns church in Liscard road is up for sale. Listed building though so not sure what you could do with it?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 10:37am
How much?
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 11:52am
Picture
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1410410

Attached picture 1410410_cfefd791.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 12:30pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
How much?

Not sure, just saw the sign in passing. Get your own built in graves though. Not allowed to bury anyone there any more though as it is a hazard to the water supply or something?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 12:41pm
Photos smirk

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums.../St_Johns_Church_Liscard.html#Post309193
Posted By: Silverback Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 1:56pm
Originally Posted by Helles
St Johns church in Liscard road is up for sale. Listed building though so not sure what you could do with it?

How long before it "spontaneously combusts" and solves the "listed building" drawback?

Posted By: insanekitty Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 2:03pm
Who is it up for sale with????
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 2:06pm
Originally Posted by Silverback
How long before it "spontaneously combusts" and solves the "listed building" drawback?

Oh you cynic wink raftl
Posted By: mrhanky Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 3:54pm
Originally Posted by insanekitty
Who is it up for sale with????

eddisons, assume it will be the manchester office?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: St Johns for sale - 2nd Dec 2010 4:41pm
Don't tell Cllr Arsonist...
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Johns for sale - 3rd Dec 2010 11:59am

After what happened to Liscard Hall, anything could happen.

Bet John Tobin is turning in his grave ...or soon will be, seeing as he's buried in the churchyard at St.John's and was largely responsible for building both the church and the mansion.

Anyone know what happened with the auction of the other old Wallasey property 'Bird House'? Is that now saved, or have we lost it?

Posted By: LisaW Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 9:00am
It's on for offers around £300k http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/129+2385.pdf

Some fab photos of inside in this link
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 9:24am
What happened to the last rumour I wonder, that The Church had bought it back to turn it into a concert hall?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 9:56am
Planning consent was granted in August 2006
for the conversion of the existing church,
demolition of the church hall and provision of 28
self contained apartments over three storeys

So what will happen to the graves or have they already gone
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 12:10pm
I suspose the good news is that the building will remain, although altered inside. It's better then the usual way of demolionishing it and putting up lego houses in its place.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 12:50pm
yes
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Johns for sale - 11th Dec 2010 1:22pm
no,it has planning permission to be turned into apartments, well actually its a scumhole of an area so lets just call them flats eh?
They`re turning my town into a f**kin cesspit with all these flats, wish they`d do one with knocking all the old buildings down and putting these cheap new builds up.
I mean, look what they done to mill lane? Put those office blocks right in front of the old wallasey water tower! WTF? It looks an eyesore.
I`m waiting for BIRDS HOUSE to be knocked down now, no doubt the mice will set it alight whilst cooking their tea eh?

Also what the f where they thinking knocking the unit four down? i mean, comeon? The last cinema in wallasey and they just bulldoze it and build FLATS! mad
******! The lot of you property developer pratts [Linked Image]
Posted By: LATEBOY Re: St Johns for sale - 14th Dec 2010 10:32pm
Within the grave yard at St. Johns on Liscard Road stands a First World War Memorial to the Men of Egremont. This is what Iam concerned in protecting. A act was passed by the Government in 1923 for the protection of such Memorials which gave local councils powers to look after them even if they did not own them. If my memory serves me well there on a dozen or less names on the memorial but this should not lessen the case for it to be preseved. Lets hope the council can show some loyalty and leadership in doing the right thing in this case.
Posted By: Waddi Re: St Johns for sale - 14th Dec 2010 11:01pm
That would make a cracking Rock Club [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wench Re: St Johns for sale - 14th Dec 2010 11:04pm
It'd make a cracking BDSM Dungeon grin whippy
Posted By: DavidB Re: St Johns for sale - 14th Dec 2010 11:50pm
I also hate those 'luxury apartments', they're just so flimsy.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Johns for sale - 15th Dec 2010 12:44am
Originally Posted by LATEBOY
Within the grave yard at St. Johns on Liscard Road stands a First World War Memorial to the Men of Egremont. This is what Iam concerned in protecting. A act was passed by the Government in 1923 for the protection of such Memorials which gave local councils powers to look after them even if they did not own them. If my memory serves me well there on a dozen or less names on the memorial but this should not lessen the case for it to be preseved. Lets hope the council can show some loyalty and leadership in doing the right thing in this case.
Pm me if you would like any assistance. I'll help if i can!
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Johns for sale - 15th Dec 2010 9:14am
Originally Posted by LATEBOY

Take several photographs of the memorial with a letter describing your concerns & send them to the Wallasey News/Globe etc. Send them to your local M.P. Send them to your local councilor. Keep pestering them all.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: St Johns for sale - 15th Dec 2010 2:16pm
You can raise a planning objection if you don't like a new development. If enough people care sufficiently to do so, the local councillors who man these committees will take note, if only to save their seats at the next election.

There is no point in complaining here or to a local newspaper (although it does no harm) unless you have explored the routes open to you to allow you to have your say. With the best will in the world, local planning committees are unable to gauge your views until you express them are they.

Obviously a single objection will have little effect, but a dozen or two will make your councillors look twice at it. If there are NO objections, I guess it would get waved through.

I've objected over the years once or twice, and was pleasantly surprised to find my objection taken seriously. I didn't always win, but at least they took SOME notice. There is also nothing to stop you writing to all the members of the planning committee.

It's worth noting, too, that if you can get a load of signatures on a petition (I think its only 25 needed) then you will be allowed to briefly address the committee and state your objection(s) before the decision is made.

Good luck anyway.
Posted By: dingle Re: St Johns for sale - 16th Dec 2010 8:30am
Great site that, pity no photos of St Catherines.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Johns for sale - 16th Dec 2010 10:38am
Originally Posted by mindplayer
Great site that, pity no photos of St Catherines.

Security was tight.
Posted By: LATEBOY Re: St Johns for sale - 16th Dec 2010 7:59pm
Bit of an update on St. Johns
I have been in touch with Wirral MBC I asked them a question under the Freedom of Information and had Two replies one from the people in Wirral Archives and one from the dept that oversee these things and on their checking out the Memorial they now have put in motion to have it listed with a Memorial Trust who look after them. So at least the Council can not now say they did not know about it. As for running to the papers that might be better left until there are plans put forward for the church.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: St Johns for sale - 16th Dec 2010 8:17pm
Well done you. Great stuff laugh
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Johns for sale - 17th Dec 2010 8:17am
If the memorial was to be moved, Eggy Ferry would be a good site.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: St Johns for sale - 17th Dec 2010 9:46am
Well done lateboy. Also agree that it may be better to wait and see what plans are submitted before involving the press. Good idea from tatey that the Eggy Ferry would be ideal if the memorial is relocated.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral