Forums
Posted By: Neil_c world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 8:03pm
Some good scenes of the docks and north end.

[youtube]DwJlZrNPviY[/youtube]
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 8:08pm
might be a repost mate! think
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 11:00pm
That the 1 i thought was a spoof?
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 11:10pm
is that mickey in the video, the same mickey that lives down the north end now and used to run a bouncy castle hire buisness from the old warehouse by where the iceland is now,cannot remember his second name,used to put up castles for him.think he lives in arkle road.always chewing a match stick.
Posted By: Toaster Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 11:28pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL

Repost or not TC. It is very interesting, It reminds us of today and the bygone years which relates to now!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 11:50pm
[youtube]4TIagabESl4[/youtube]
[youtube]JIMPfKvG5Bc[/youtube]

The second video after part one has finished play part two etc smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 17th Sep 2010 11:55pm
when was this on smile
Posted By: Toaster Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 12:01am
Thank you Ste X Now Im waiting for my next injection of truthfulness from the big bro documenter!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 12:03am
Originally Posted by Toaster
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL

Repost or not TC. It is very interesting, It reminds us of today and the bygone years which relates to now!
happy YERR as joe says what year?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 12:15am
Posted By: kimpri Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 1:06am
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
is that mickey in the video, the same mickey that lives down the north end now and used to run a bouncy castle hire buisness from the old warehouse by where the iceland is now,cannot remember his second name,used to put up castles for him.think he lives in arkle road.always chewing a match stick.
Do you mean mickey James,He died a few months ago,
I know/knew most of the people in that video,
most of them are no longer with us.
Posted By: bert1 Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 6:00am
Its no wonder a lot of those people are dead, thats what poverty and deprivation does, shortens lives. They were the product of a most uncaring government ever seen in modern times, with the most uncaring prime minister of all times.
In and around 1984 just like today there was this false belief that you were better off on the dole and there wasn't any incentive to work and just like today the propaganda machine was in full swing, telling people who would believe it, there are plenty of jobs for all, and there isn't any need for unemployment.
When we see films like that in 3rd world countries we have aid agencies scrambling from all over the world to relieve their poverty, what help did those people get, none, fined and sent to prison.
In one of the other films, a lad mentioned the Enterprise allowance scheme and how he tried to get his own business off the ground, this scheme was hailed by the government at the time as a ground breaking answer to the unemployment problem and a way of helping people into self employment, some help, the dole at that time was £35 a week, the enterprise allowance was £40 a week and a person had to pay a stamp of around £2.70, so somehow you had to run your business while setting up on £2.30 a week, what a ground breaking incentive that was.
At least it got the unemployment figures down.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 6:29am
thanks kimpri,for the life of me i couldnt remember his second name.did not realise he had died,shame he was a nice fella.
Posted By: dingle Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 9:18am
Unfortunately we only saw the effects in our backyard, how many other places in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland went through the same problems. Quite a shame.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 9:45am
You should see some of the stuff that gets thrown into the skips etc at Bidston - some good stuff
I believe the council now gets paid by someone who gets the rights to all the scrap metal, tellies fridges bikes etc which are put in a separate part
woe betide anyone who tries to take anything out of a skip tho I do believe if you see someone about to put something in you can ask them for it before it goes in
I would like to see what happens to the stuff in our recyle crey bins and where it eventually ends up and who gets the loot
Posted By: dingle Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 9:49am
We put all our (old)stuff on the nature strip at the front of the house and in about 2 hrs it is gone. I put a big old(1979) tv on the strip, about 20 mins later there was an old guy(LOL)taking out all the electrical bits, by next morning all of it was gone. Very good recyling centre my nature strip.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 10:25am
I don't want to sound thick,but what's a nature strip?Anything to do with nudism?
Posted By: bert1 Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 10:34am
1st guess, garden or grassy area.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 10:35am
Lol! Its a grass verge
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: world in action - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2010 10:43am
Apologies mindplayer, I've just spotted your location,I didn't realise you were an ocker!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral