Forums
Posted By: RobBB Upton Hall Convent School. - 11th Aug 2010 3:50pm
I was given these original post cards sometime in the 80's and I've been waiting for a way of sharing for a long time.
I am lucky enough to have the full set and this site Wiki is the perfect site to show, what I believe to be, previously unseen images.
I also have some exterior photos I took myself during the 80's and am hoping to post in near future.
Please enjoy.

Attached picture UHCS envelope.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 1.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 2.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 3.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 4.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 5.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 6.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 7.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 8.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 9.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 10.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 11.jpg
Attached picture UHCS 12.jpg
Posted By: RobBB Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 11th Aug 2010 3:54pm
Sorry I put this in the wrong place.
Beginner!!!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 11th Aug 2010 4:03pm
Wow, thanks for sharing happy
Is this building still there?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 11th Aug 2010 4:19pm
There are in fact two sets of post cards, the first is the one shown containing 12 interior shots, the second contained 12 esterior shots of the buildings and grounds.

The post cards were taken from a set of 28 photographs taken about 1911, these were produced in booklet form and there are quite a few copies of this still about.

The post cards were produced for pupils to buy and write home to their parents (the school was a boarding school at that time).

Most of the pictures, and other old pictures of the school are here.

I would be very interested in seeing the pictures from the 1980s which you have.

_Ste_: Yes, the buildings still exist and are still in use by the school.

Posted By: hoseman Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 11th Aug 2010 10:57pm
Know this place well. Was run by nuns, my mum and her sister went there in the 50`s and 60`s. In the early 70`s , my mum worked in there as a cook, remember going to pick her up with my dad and playing in the hallways and kitchens, that staircase one brings back a good memory of sitting on the bottom step waiting for her and being pased by nuns glaring at me!! Very good find, thank you for sharing
Also in the bell tower is.was an air raid siren they used to "test" it every week! Wonder if its still there??
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 12th Aug 2010 6:09am

The air raid siren was on the roof of the main (1863) building, the three storey building on the left in the picture below, it was controlled from Upton Police Station and was removed in the 1970s.

The oldest building on the site is the two storey one on the right in the picture, this is the Upton Hall built by Webster about 1800.

The FCJ Sisters bought the Hall in December 1862 and converted it into a boarding school which opened in 1863. They also opened a free elementary school on the same site (this later became St Joseph's Primary School).

The FCJ Sisters still own the school, but there are no Sisters teaching in the school at present, and the Convent was closed and converted for school use in 1998.

Attached picture Upton0091.jpg
Posted By: alfiemag Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 12th Aug 2010 7:16am
Lovely to see those. I worked there as a cleaner from 1996 to 2002. I also used to clean the nun's house that was attached to the school. Thanks for sharing.

Alfiemag
Posted By: Blazeparadox Re: Upton Hall Convent School. - 27th Jun 2013 9:23pm
Does anyone have any pictures of their smaller school down the road, by the motorway known as Upton Preparatory school, I went there in the 1970's but haven't seen any pictures of how it used to be for years, its a nursing home now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral