Forums
Posted By: purfek New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 23rd May 2010 10:06pm

New Brighton Tower bottom right
many more photographs of New Brighton, Wallasey, Liscard
New Brighton, Wallasey, Liscard click here

Attached picture 4392176369_87f9eac78c_o.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 6:29am
Whats the big clear area in the middle of the picture, I cant picture it in my mind?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 6:40am
Originally Posted by Nigel
Whats the big clear area in the middle of the picture, I cant picture it in my mind?
hmmm think
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 9:28am
It's the old New Brighton FC football ground as far as i know
Posted By: ticktock Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 9:44am
wasn't there a racing track for stock cars there as well?
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 9:52am
http://www.simonlewis.com/sc5.html

http://newbrightonstockcars.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html
Posted By: jedimindtricks Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 11:15am
great picture, I was just wondering also what is that big building just right of the track?
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 11:22am
Its the New Brighton tower ballroom building

Attached picture (i)%20New%20Brighton%20Tower%20Postcard%20c1910.jpg
Posted By: Stegga Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 11:23am
Hope you didn't mind me using your picture Mr Liberator
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 5:47pm
I do have a website that can answer your questions in relation to the Tower Grounds....

...go on...click on the link in my sig!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 5:48pm
Originally Posted by Stegga
Hope you didn't mind me using your picture Mr Liberator

Don't mind at all... smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 6:57pm
What do the two tall chimneys belong to, just above the race-track?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 8:14pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
What do the two tall chimneys belong to, just above the race-track?

The chimney above the race track (which in the days of the photograph was a running / cycle track) belonged to the power generator which supplied electricty for the Tower Grounds ie Fair rides and cafes / bars. The other chimney further along Grosvenor Drive is Bennetts Laundry.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 24th May 2010 8:20pm
Ta mate thumbsup
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 26th May 2010 6:38pm
I remember riding my bike around that track when I was a kid (in the early 60s), quite a scary ride (steep banking!); sneaked in a couple of times
It was disused at the time I think, although maybe the Rakers (New Brighton F.C.) still played there then (if not I wonder when they left?) The Stock cars came a few years later...

Anyone know what the track was built for, originally? Was it intended for bike (bicycle) racing?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 26th May 2010 7:17pm
It was originally just an athletic ground with a football pitch. The owners of the Tower Grounds formed the 'The New Brighton Tower and Recreation Company' and hoped to make money during the non-tourist seasons. The team that played there was the 'New Brighton Tower Football Club' (no connection to The Rakers). They played there from October 1897 to 1901 before disbanding because they couldn't afford the rental of the ground. New Brighton Tower Amateurs formed and played there. They later played by Massey Park. Harrowby Football FC them moved to the Tower Stadium and played there for some considerable time.

In the meantime the ground was often used for summer shows - such as a troop of Bedouins, Dervishes and Arabs. In the Summer of 1908 there was a Wild West show which included 500 men and horses - consisting of cowboys, indians, cowgirls, cossacks, chariot drivers.

The New Brighton Athletic Football Club (The Rakers) was formed in 1921. They played in Rake Lane (hence the nickname) but only played at The Tower Stadium when their own ground was damaged during the German Blitz.

Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 27th May 2010 4:55pm
Thanks, PW! - for both the brill information and for correcting my mistakes, this site sometimes humbles me as to how little I really know (or remember?) about my home town and its environs.
I'm still very curious about the banked track, such as when was it built and what its original purpose was? - who knows, maybe it intended to be "the Brooklands of the North"? LOL!
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 28th May 2010 3:24pm
The white circle bottom left is in Vale Park and is the site of a barrage balloon from the war. If you look closely, you will see bomb damaged houses in Dalmorton road backing onto the football ground. Look even more closely and you will see other bomb sites.

The track around the pitch was originally for cycle racing and sometime motorbikes. I think they had some kind of championship there back in the 20's but stand to be corrected on that.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 28th May 2010 4:01pm
Thanks Helles, very interesting. I think from PW's .. site that this picture is dated 1946, so lots of bomb damage would still be evident, I'm sure...
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 28th May 2010 8:24pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Thanks Helles, very interesting. I think from PW's .. site that this picture is dated 1946, so lots of bomb damage would still be evident, I'm sure...

When I originally got it (it is copyright btw but not mine) it was dated 1948. Being from your side of the pond, you might be interested in the little guys in the middle of the football pitch laying new turf. This is because the ground was used as a vehicle park by the American forces during the war. Ships were unloaded and the vehicles taken there to be made ready before being distributed. The troops were billeted at the Sandrock hotel on Molyneux drive.
Posted By: sheelywheely Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 17th Jun 2010 8:46pm
If you belong to Facebook there is a group called Old pics of Wallasey and Liscard and New Brighton swimming baths. These Flikr pics would be loved by the members on there!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 17th Jun 2010 9:23pm
Don't forget Derby Pool! Oh and by the way Sheelywheely, welcome to the machine.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 17th Jun 2010 9:36pm
Don't forget though that bombing stopped in this neck of the woods in January 1942 and repairs and clearance were continuous processes.
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 25th Jun 2010 9:15pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Don't forget though that bombing stopped in this neck of the woods in January 1942 and repairs and clearance were continuous processes.

Agreed but don't forget there was a shortage of materials for repairs and rebuilding for many years after the war. I was on the scene and they were still rationing food even if I don't remember it. Basically we were bankrupt as a country. If you look on the corner of Grosvenor road and Molyneux drive in the photo, you will see what look like portacabins. Obviously not invented then but I think it was some kind of portable housing. There were prefabs on this site in my younger days.
Posted By: sheelywheely Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 4th Jul 2010 8:00pm
Thanks for the welcome!
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 28th Sep 2011 2:02pm
It is the football ground, which indeed have a cycle and an athletics track. The chimneys are as indeed stated, but the laundry one is Grosvenor Road not Drive.
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Links, by Les Ward - 29th Sep 2011 9:28pm
You mean that one?

Attached picture 533 French Laundry ad.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral