Forums
Posted By: detsi New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 22nd May 2010 11:23am
There were lots. Golden Guinea(Krall), Penny Farthing, Tudor, Late Extra, Empress, Powerboat, Disc'o Dine, Crackers. There were others too. I never knew their names. All tucked down entries or above shops.
Posted By: Quank Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 22nd May 2010 11:36am
Maybe into the 70's but there was also Billy Blues, The Magenta, The Creep, Silver Slipper and the Belgravia
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 22nd May 2010 12:41pm
i went to the Empress every weekend when i was 16...had to be 18 to get in tho!!! but we got in...while we were queing we would work out what year we were born to make us 18!! it was great tho, and the lights in there...if you wore anything white it would show up brilliant white...you looked like an Omo advert!!! does anyone remember omo washing powder??
we would get the last bus home,and if we missed it we would walk! but you were safe then, i wouldn't do it now!!!!everyone went out for a good time then,not like now...always seems to end in someone getting stabbed or attacked, in all the time we went to the Empress i only ever saw one fight,and that was when the bus driver was attacked and robbed, it really frightened me, i went home white as a sheet.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 22nd May 2010 1:57pm
Wasn't it the bikers from the Empress that effectively started the Easter Egg Run? I remember them doing charity runs of some sort.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 26th May 2010 1:54pm
anyone got any pictures from inside "the creep" from when it was open as a club ?
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 1st Jun 2010 10:39am
Went to all of those during my misspent youth, but no photographs I am afraid.
Posted By: detsi Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 2nd Jun 2010 12:09pm
Other Wallasey clubs included the Tavern, Davy Jones' Locker and does anyone remember the Melody Inn at the bottom of Grove Rd?
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton's clubs in the 60's - 3rd Jun 2010 4:58am
My first wedding reception was at the Melody Inn. What aout The Whitches Cauldren in Albion Street opposite the Hotel Victoria.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral