Forums
Posted By: yoller Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 18th May 2010 11:49pm
Does anyone remember what looked like a sunken ship that used to lie in the mudbanks on the foreshore just behind New Ferry Baths? You could often see its mast sticking out of the mud. I remember it being there in the late 50s-early 60s, but perhaps my memory is playing tricks. How did it get there and when was it finally removed?
Posted By: lansyp Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 9:15am
think its the great eastern
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 1:00pm
It was a small general cargo ship called 'Egret'. It originally sank after colliding with a tanker off Rock Ferry. This was approx. 1957. When the oil jetty was started the wreck was in the way,so it was raised using pontoons, towed to New Ferry & re-sunk.Originally the black & white funnel was in place but presumably fell off due to tidal movements.The wreck was finally removed in 1970/71 when a large floating crane was brought in from Holland to remove several wrecks from the Mersey estuary.

Bob.
Posted By: yoller Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 4:57pm
Thanks for that information, 8HBob - it's really interesting, especially hearing that the ship was re-sunk. On the same subject, I seem to remember that for many years there was also a sunken wreck just south of the Pier Head off Liverpool, quite near the Albert Dock.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 6:17pm
If my memory serves me right, my girlfriends uncle has a picture of it in his house. ill have a look later and ill get back to you...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 7:16pm
Interesting in its location, in the 19th century there was a target there for the 500yd Volunteer Rifle Range. There was also another target 500yds towards the sea for a 300yd range.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Sunken ship near New Ferry Baths - 19th May 2010 7:49pm
The sunken ship off Albert Dock was the result of enemy action in World War 2. I believe it was carrying a cargo of cattle.

Bob.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral