Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX the m53 motorway - 12th Mar 2010 9:26pm
The m53 motorway, running through Wirral, links up with the wallasey tunnel. Much of the aproach road to the tunnel links up with the old Seacombe Railway Line, which was abandoned. Th old track became very useful as it saved both knocking down property and also much work in cuting through the rock. Four of the existing railway bridges wee removed and replaced with three single span structures. The motorway then runs over bidston moss and by the poulton penny bridge. many piling operations had to be carried out on the moss and these were the deepest on Europe, being sunk to some 230 foot. One gioant tractor got stuck in the mud and slowly sank, being removed with difficulty! The motorway rises over the new brighton railway line. It is built on reinforced concreteiers at spans between 100- 160 feet.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: the m53 motorway - 12th Mar 2010 9:30pm
my dads got a pic of him working on this if i get to my mothers i will pick it up and post!
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: the m53 motorway - 12th Mar 2010 10:02pm
you can see the very top of the bridge that is left from the old railway at the end of netto car park in seacombe.
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: the m53 motorway - 12th Mar 2010 10:05pm
yes, walk past that most days.....used to live in luke street as a very small child
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: the m53 motorway - 12th Mar 2010 11:35pm
i think one of my uncles died when kingsway caved at one point. another fact is that the approach was used in GTA3 as well
Posted By: polo_phil Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 9:15am
Wasn't there an airfield somewhere near the M53 junc 1/tunnel approach or am I mad?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 9:41am
I would imagine it would be a bit hilly round there for an airfield think
Posted By: chriskay Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 9:44am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/204963/Bidston_Aerodrome.html#Post204963
Posted By: MissGuided Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 9:50am
Hey Rude!

Not sure if this has been posted on wiki already...

Subterranea Britannica has an excellent disused railway stations site. It covers Liscard & Poulton which shows the cutting that the railway took before they used it for the tunnel approach road.

Click
Posted By: StuyMac Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 9:51am
I stand corrected Chris smile

Originally Posted by Doctor_Frick

"Easter 1920 – Bidston Aerodrome opened
Great Northern Aerial Company of Liverpool acquired 35 acres of land near Bidston railway
station in September 1919, for an aerodrome to be used as headquarters for their proposed
services linking numerous cities around the country to “health & leisure” resorts. During
the 1920 Easter holiday, between Wednesday 31st March and Saturday 10th April, they organised
an Aerial Gala, to mark the opening of the aerodrome, it would then close until Whitson,
then reopen and continue throughout the summer. Admission to the Gala was 1/- (5p),
with a three-penny tax. Unfortunately they had not managed to put the finishing touches
to the aerodrome before it was opened, three hangars had almost been completed. It was
intended that the field would become permanent, and eventual be properly levelled, and made dry.

Any idea where it was by the station?

Sounds like it only really got as far as a soggy field with some 1/2 built hangers think
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 11:34am
Originally Posted by Snooze
Hey Rude!

Not sure if this has been posted on wiki already...

Subterranea Britannica has an excellent disused railway stations site. It covers Liscard & Poulton which shows the cutting that the railway took before they used it for the tunnel approach road.

Click

Thats bloody brilliant. I have wanted to find pictures of this for ages.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: the m53 motorway - 13th Mar 2010 12:30pm
Brill stuff snooze. Cheers.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: the m53 motorway - 17th Mar 2010 7:45pm
Just something I found... interesting

This is a road that turned out very differently to the original plan. The M53 was intended to start at Birkenhead and run south to connect to the A55 near Queensferry. When it was finished as far as Bebington, the new Ellesmere Port Bypass towards Chester connected in and was numbered M531, with the intention that it would be a spur of the M53 when the motorway was finished, even though for the time being it was a direct continuation. When it became clear the M53 would never be extended any further, the M531 was absorbed into the mainline M53. It was then extended south from the end of what was M531, and joins the A55 east of Chester.

Between junctions 4 and 5 the carriageways split where the M53/M531 junction should have been. Driving through this junction is very strange: it's painfully clear that you're not on the same road any more, despite the continuous number. Until a few years ago, there was even an unused flyover wide enough for a three-lane motorway standing across the northbound carriageway. The Ellesmere Port Bypass feels like the little brother of the road to the north of there.

Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: the m53 motorway - 17th Mar 2010 8:00pm
There's a thread that contains a link from a year or so back which gives the history.
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._M53_M531_The_History_Of.html#Post355928
Posted By: Christine12 Re: the m53 motorway - 17th Mar 2010 8:01pm
Even more info - thanks!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral