Forums
Posted By: abcdefgh The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 10th Mar 2010 11:16pm
The Skirmisher was a cunard tug boat early 1900's. Does anyone have or know where I can obtain pictures? I know the bell of it is in St Nicholas church Liverpool but thats about all. Thanks in anticipation.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 10th Mar 2010 11:20pm
There was a Cunard Passenger vessel called Skirmisher around the same period - strange
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 10th Mar 2010 11:24pm
It was actually a "Tender"

Attached picture Tg 23.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 10th Mar 2010 11:30pm
Two more piccies

Attached picture Skirmisher-02.jpg
Attached picture Skirmisher-06.jpg
Posted By: Capt_America Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 10th Mar 2010 11:46pm
I am curious Aegean, why do you ask?
Posted By: Brocks Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Mar 2010 10:34am
Found this on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompatto/4354628334/
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Mar 2010 3:41pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
There was a Cunard Passenger vessel called Skirmisher around the same period - strange

MITCHELL AND KENYON 237 CUNARD MAIL STEAMER LUCANIA LEAVING FOR AMERICA (1901)
NFA Catalogue
Main (replacement) title (00.07). Filmed from a boat. Passenger liner `Skirmisher' (00.24). The `Lucania' with Liverpool quayside in distance crowded with people (00.46). `Lucania' portside. Passengers waving handkerchiefs through portholes. Closer shot of same (01.17). `Lucania' portside, LS people on decks and all the lifeboats (2.17mins). Notes: The `Skirmisher' was a Cunard passenger liner launched 1884 and scrapped 1947. M&K 229,231,232,234,237 and 240 make up this one film.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Mar 2010 3:48pm
Found this [youtube]zQVQ7ry94lI[/youtube]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Mar 2010 3:56pm
Nice find Bert, but some one should have said "dont stare at the camera" raftl
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Mar 2010 10:28pm
smile My Grandad was the captain on the Skirmisher and my Mum will be overjoyed by these photographs. Thanks to all of you for this response! I am madeup. Thank you .... yomama Bert that is a superb find....thankyou.
Posted By: lesbubs Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 31st May 2012 4:46am
Just found out from my Mum that my great grandad was chief engineer on the Skirmisher "Thomas Coady" - trying to find out more about the man. Have you or any of your members any info about him?
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 31st May 2012 5:28am
Hi Les and Welcome,
I can do a bit of a look up on Ancestry if you haven't already done so. Need to know approx birth date and place of birth if known.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 31st May 2012 12:43pm
TSS Skirmisher (ON 87990) was a 165ft steel twin-screw tug/tender built for Cunard to tranport passengers from Liverpool Landing Stage to the company's larger liners, which in those days had to moor in mid-river as their draught was too great to allow them to get close to the stage. She was launched on 14th May 1884 at the yard of J & G Thompson at Clydebank, who had had a long association with Cunard, having built the liners Abyssinia (1870), Servia (1881) and Aurania (1883) for the company. Skirmisher was the first purpose-built tender that Cunard owned; previously, like most other shipping companies, they had hired tugs from local tug companies on an ad-hoc basis to do the job. She was a familiar sight working on the Mersey for over 60 years, before being disposed of for breaking at Garston in February 1946.
Posted By: Norton Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 31st May 2012 12:56pm
It's the first time I've seen the original post, so it's nice to see that it is being kept alive with fresh interest and has some very interesting information in it.
In DD's second post, (10th March 2010) the one with the two pictures in it, it looks like the lower picture was taken later in the ships life as the tunnel vent is visable, as is Seacombe Ferry on the far right. Apart from that, what struck me are the flags flying on the forward mast. Is the lower flag that of the White Star Line?

The answer is yes. Aparrently from the time of the Cunard & White Star merger in 1934, each ship in the combined fleet would fly the flag of its original owner above that of the partner company. The practice continued until 1968.
Posted By: lesbubs Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Jun 2012 11:55am
Thanks Bert - still confirming details with mum in NZ. She has confirmed that his name was 'Thomas Bell' and not Coady. I have a birthdate of 1857 but need to confirm this. Anyone with any information on The Skirmisher - please post it here or forward it to me, so I can possibly use as a line of further investigation. bye for now - Les
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 11th Jun 2012 4:09pm
The 1911 Census has a Thomas Bell, marine engineer, living at 155 Fountains Road, Kirkdale, who was born in 1857 in Stirlingshire, Scotland. He is described as a widower living with three daughters and four sons, Isabella (26), Maggie (25), Janet (22), Thomas (20), Robert (18), George (14) and Andrew Finnie (12). The 1901 Census has him at 23 Tetlow Street, Kirkdale, living with his wife Janet and the same seven children plus another daughter Mirren, then aged 6. According to this census he was born in Baldernock (now in East Dumbartonshire) and his wife was from Stevenston in Ayrshire. Could be him?
Posted By: lesbubs Re: The Tug Boat Skirmisher - 25th Jul 2012 9:18pm
Thanks Marty - you've got the right Thomas Bell. Lots more information than I had at hand. Can now take it further. Cheers - Les
© Wirral-Wikiwirral