Forums
Posted By: LukeORourke Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 4th Mar 2010 7:49am
This is a postcard i purchased on eBay, the picture is of Mersey Park in Higher Tranmere taken in 1904. I do not know where it was taken from, i think it was taken from the Old Chester Road near where the old Mersey Mount flats where because on a map form 1904 i have it shows alotments.

Attached picture 4406060900_0089a147c9_o.jpg
Posted By: lansyp Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 4th Mar 2010 9:13am
i would say it was looking from church road by the behive or where the car park is for the school the allotments are still there
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 4th Mar 2010 10:09am
I have got a similar picture somewhere from a similar year of moorland Road, one of the roads between the parks. I will try and upload it to this thread.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 4th Mar 2010 11:44am
I'd guess that is Downham rd, like the gas lamps and what appears to be a telegraph pole.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 4th Mar 2010 12:06pm
wow Brilliant picture thank you

I would say that pic is taken from the the plot of land where the allotments now stands just outside mersey park primary entrance?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 5th Mar 2010 11:56am
Judging from the relationship between the Lodge in the centre & the bandstand, I'd guess it was taken from where the houses of Yelverton Road were later built, looking across the junction of Downham Road & Elm Road - roughly from where I've put a blob on the map below.

Attached picture Mersey Park.JPG
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 5th Mar 2010 1:07pm
Thanks smile if that blob is right the photo was taken on the site of my old house in yelverton road!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 5th Mar 2010 1:18pm
And mine! I used to live at number 1.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 5th Mar 2010 8:49pm
I only said 'roughly' - it's often hard to judge exact distances when comparing maps & photos.
Posted By: cookie Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 5th Mar 2010 10:14pm
isnt the tower looking thing in the background the chimney at st caths ? there was also a bandstand in the fenced off area by the karate club place wasnt there too?
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 6th Mar 2010 3:27am
i was in 1A :)from 1991 - 2005
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 8th Mar 2010 10:10am
You must remember my mum, she lived at no' 1 till 2002. I remember you and your mum and dad.
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 8th Mar 2010 12:57pm
yeah i do smile
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 8th Mar 2010 10:01pm
Originally Posted by cookie
isnt the tower looking thing in the background the chimney at st caths ? there was also a bandstand in the fenced off area by the karate club place wasnt there too?

If you look closely there are actually two chimneys in the distance, one very tall one and a smaller, fainter one to the left of it. The tall one belonged to the Corporation's South End Refuse Destructor (incinerator, to you and me), whilst the shorter one was at the adjoining Electricity Generating Station that was powered by the heat produced by the incineration of household waste. Both of these were in the Corporation yard on New Chester Road close to the bottom of Union Street.

Attached picture Refuse Destructor.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 8th Mar 2010 10:30pm
Excellent work Marty!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 9th Mar 2010 5:45pm
There was a Bandstand that was originally in Birkenhead Park and moved to Mersey Park in 1929.
Posted By: cookie Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 11th Mar 2010 10:45pm
If you look carefully there are 2 gateposts/pillars on the right half way down. they are the one that lead into the park by the kids play area now. You can also see the railings which surrounded the park until they were removed during/for the war.So the area at the forefront is were Mersey Park school/Downham Rd is.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 12th Sep 2012 12:50am
If you look to the middle right of the picture, you will see two brick posts at the entrance to the park. These are still there today, and they are situated directly opposite the junction of Grasville Road with Downham Road. The poster who said this was from Yelverton Road is pretty much very accurate, as from his map, you can see the bandstand featured in the photo.

Oh how life must have been back then! Not far from that bandstand now exists a cage where only children go to play football. A bandstand evokes pictures in my mind of where the whole family would go, rather than just the children!
Posted By: kenisherwood Re: Mersey Park Higher Tranmere 1904 - 30th Jun 2015 7:40pm
Mersey Park
I grew up in Grasville Road before and during the war and I was interested in the position of the bandstand in this picture. As I remember the bandstand was to the left of the picture on top of the hill. After the war seats were arranged in front of the bandstand and a band would entertain the locals on a sunday afternoon. The seats would then be collected together and stored in the bandstand.
The play area now was a part of the cricket pitch where the local eleven would perform at the week-end, It was fenced off by some flimsy wire !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral