Forums
Posted By: alanjd Things Change and No one Tells You!! - 2nd Mar 2010 7:23am
Left Liverpool (Waterloo) in 1955. Took me until 2009 until I came back (with wife). Wanted to show my wife the ferries and the Mersey. Decided to take her by rail to New Brighton and then return by ferry. My dad always took me to New Brighton as a special treat. Did the rail trip. Got to New Brighton. Walked down to the ferry and you know what's coming !! No ferry !! Walked the distance to Seacombe (and enjoyed every minute) but no one told me they had stopped the New Brighton Ferry. WHY WASN'T I TOLD ?? Sorry but it was funny.

Alan
Posted By: Wheels Re: Things Change and No one Tells You!! - 2nd Mar 2010 7:38am
Lmao raftl

you are a little bit late smile

there is a thread in the history section all about the pier ect.
Posted By: dingle Re: Things Change and No one Tells You!! - 2nd Mar 2010 7:55am
AlanJD, Surprised you had even remmbered about the ferry way back from 1955. By the way what did your wife think?? By the way I got a copy of Ferry Cross The Mersey, only because I was on that Ferry when they shot the scene of Gerry and the Pacemakers riding on on scooters, but I think it was cut.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Things Change and No one Tells You!! - 2nd Mar 2010 11:40am
Was there myself last weekend and think that the Liverpool skyline has been ruined. I know we can't live in the past forever but bloody hell. Then you go up the top of Oxton Road and you'd think the Luftwaffe had just had another pop at all that area. Why don't they spend these "European Grants" to make everybody's life a bit better instead of squandering it in places where the recipients are going to make loads of money? I may even have that wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
Posted By: alanjd Re: Things Change and No one Tells You!! - 3rd Mar 2010 8:22am
Thanks for the replies!. My wife thought I was marvellous to have remembered so much after 50+ years. Only one other thing threw me after all that time, a new destination terminal on the Waterloo to Liverpool line. Other than that I walked everywhere around Waterloo, house where I was born, house where I lived for 8 years, schools I attended, church I was christened in, and the parks along the Mersey down at the bottom of South Road, though that area had undergone some reconstruction.
On the ferry coming back from Seacombe, and during the walk itself, I was impressed with the Mersey as a working river.

Spent 3 afternoons in the Liverpool Record Office attached to the Library in William Brown St. Loved it, looking for relatives from the late 1800's.

Good wishes !
Alan
© Wirral-Wikiwirral