Forums
Posted By: abcdefgh Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:02pm
Remember, Remember when Liscard used to be nice..... we had M&S, where Primark is now, Safeways at one time and other good shops. Then for some reason, it changed. We even had Wirral Met. All gone now. Wonder what happened? Now it seems to have become a habitat for drunken, homeless, tramp type characters (Misplaced) beggars hang around the cash points. I still love my old town though even though its been dumped on.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:24pm
yer, liscard is a shithole- its a shame. i spend ten - fifteen mins every thursday sitting on the bench-outside superdrug , watching the passer-bys (i hate the iceland queue and piss off to get me + plusone a maccys). there all care- in - the- community- types. av got nuffin against them personally, but they do give me a 'sick' form of amusement!!!
fook all in liscard now- shithole!!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:34pm
I moved away in 1983 but still come back to visit and wander round. The desolation of the place is truly depressing. The block where Safeway was also had Rumbelows (good record store as well as white goods) and Bookland (quiet and classy shop). M & S was near to Littlewoods and Menzies. And anyone remember Bargain Box records in the precinct? I spent hours in there! And the Co-op - a 'posh' department store with a lift - just like Are You Being Served!
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:47pm
I used to love Bookland, my favourite place on a Saturday morning. Yes I remember Rumbelows. It was a lovely town. Before Wallasey ceased being run by itself, the place flourished. It was when the dreaded 'Merseyside' erupted it went to pot. Officially Merseyside doesnt exist anymore. Just look what it left behind.

I know that when they demolished properties in Birkenhead North, many of the people were re-housed in an around Seacombe, people who probably didnt want to be moved and became mis-placed.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:48pm
nope- i cant remember all that (just the market where i would steal all my singles from) BUT i thought liscard had gone down hill, your post just reinforces how far!!!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:50pm
liscard is an empty void of shit- ness!
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:55pm
cry Have I upset you?! Sorry if I have!!!! verysorry
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:55pm
as a book-worm- i'm intrigued now where 'bookland' was? rings a bell in my tiny skull but i cant place it?- where the roy castle charity shop is now??? i won a £5 booktoken for there (runner up in 1st year handwriting competition at weatherhead high school). £5 was loadsa money back then.....(1983)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:56pm
Originally Posted by aegean
cry Have I upset you?! Sorry if I have!!!! verysorry
me? nah!! don't be soft xxx
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 26th Feb 2010 11:57pm
Thats good... Bookland was on the same side of the road as that Gym place, a bit further down, the next building to the pub I think. It almost opposite the taxi rank just a bit further down, could have been the charity shop, not sure.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:06am
Bookland was almost at the corner of Wallasey Road, next to the Wellington (?). It was two shops knocked into one, stationers on one half, books on the other. There was a newsagents next door on the other side with a barbershop at the back. I vaguely remember a nice cake shop on that block too, or maybe on the other side, in Coronation Buildings.

Just remembered another lovely shop from my childhood - was it called Toners on Seaview Road? Toys and games, Lego packs, that sort of thing. And the Hobby Shop on Liscard Avenue.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:08am
i think we're talking the same place yanno- kids books down the back. wow! thanks- i had forgoton about 'bookland'- even though it was my 'heaven' at that time. i also loved the second hand book place, around the corner, in seaview road. you could buy/ swap and sell 2nd hand books.
that place 'gave' me the gift of 'enid blyton'- i know that she has been slaughtered now, in the press for being racist, sexist, elitist etc but it was that woman, her famous 5 and secret 7 books- AND that second hand book shop(that made her books affordable on 50p per week pocket money) that probably led me to where i am now as an adult- an Urban Explorer!!! how mad is that?
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:12am
Yes it sounds like the same place... Enid Blyton eh? got a lot to answer for!! I loved reading anything.. even now!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:14am
I remember that secondhand bookshop! It moved a few times; it started out on Withen's Lane, then moved to Seaview Road near that little garden/church, (2 floors) then moved onto the other side, by Burns Avenue. Smell of Calor gas heaters and cigarettes!

I can see how UE could come out of Enid Blyton!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:27am
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse

amazing, innit! back in the day i eat, drank, sweated and farted enids' books. a part of me would like to read them again (adults read harry potter!) but i'm afraid that it won't be the same!!!- i am aware that enid has been ripped to bits in 'modern' literacy circles and i think it may be likely that I spot 'things' that arn't p.c so i'm not going to ruin it for myself. but 100% it was this old lady- dead now- who gave me the appetite for all things u.e!! wow!!
ok gang- aware i gone off topic, i apologise, now i'm going to bed with a nice jackie collins!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:49am
Index didn't last long! I think -may be wrong-it closed before the index chain did?
Woolies-dead
Ethels- dead
What other shops have been+ gone?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 12:53am
Ooh remember that dirt cheap clothes shop where brighthouse is now. The baby clothes would be in the window opp mackys. (So obviously the jewerelly shop hasnt got the same depth-tk me years to suss that owt!) Haha
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 1:56am
Liscard is the shopping centre of second hand stores and fast food. That's all there is. So many top quality stores have gone. So many of them have been named already. The death nell was the Cherry Tree Centre. The rent was so high for so many retailers that they were forced to close.

Why would anyone want to shop in Liscard when a bus from Liscard takes you to a better shopping centre in Liverpool. You can even get a bus from Liscard to Birkenhead Shopping Centre. Both Shopping Centres have better choices. I never shop in Liscard. I rather go to Liverpool. I use Liverpool's Burton's cos the Liscard one is shite. Never has a good range.

Liscard looks and feels tired. I wish they do something with the Capitol. Its a friggin eyesore. You wouldn't see that in Chester City Centre. You wouldn't even see that eyesore in Liverpool City Centre. Our Council have simply given up. They won't even provide free parking whilst shops struggle with the recession.

They are a disgrace.

There is a website to shop online in Liscard...

Liscard Shopping Mall

Posted By: bobi1 Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 2:28am
I moved to Liscard in 1991 and remember taking my very young niece and nephew around the shopping precinct where they were fascinated by the talking bins. Does anyone remember them?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 3:05am
These are pics of old Liscard

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: charlie Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 8:25am
I grew up in birkenhead, but i remember coming to liscard shopping with my mum and thinking it was miles away. We always drove past the house with the big bride doll in the window on gorsey lane.Live in liscard now and find liscard is handy for bits but if u want a good days shopping jump the bus to liverpool.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 7:08pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
I remember that secondhand bookshop! It moved a few times; it started out on Withen's Lane, then moved to Seaview Road near that little garden/church, (2 floors) then moved onto the other side, by Burns Avenue. Smell of Calor gas heaters and cigarettes!

Was that bookshop called Dr Findlay's Book Case?
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 8:57pm
Charlie, that big bride doll belongs to one of my friends. She had it as a little girl, her Mum never took it down even when she left home! I think its gone for good though now, nice memories.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 27th Feb 2010 9:01pm
Nice old pictures, thanks for the memory. Anyone remember the tiny Kentucky Fried chicken which opened in the 70's near to the Boot Inn, near the zebra crossing? It even had those proper western doors like on old western movies! It was a novelty while it lasted.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 4:51am
Anyone remember the map in liscard, think must of been for people visiting liscard,
If you were looking how to get to Woolworth's press button marked Woolworth's light came on showing were place was and how to get there (start from you are here) crazy

How long was the map there????? think smile
Posted By: Stegga Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 8:15am
I remember that map, it was on the corner of St Albans Road and Wallasey road at the side of the Nat West bank. I loved playing with that when i was a young lad in the early 70s. Don't know how long it was there before that though. Now even sure when it disappeared. Funny the things that hold you in awe when you're young. I think it was my first steps into map reading and orienteering ha ha!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 9:07am
Originally Posted by stegga
I remember that map, it was on the corner of St Albans Road and Wallasey road at the side of the Nat West bank. I loved playing with that when i was a young lad in the early 70s. Don't know how long it was there before that though. Now even sure when it disappeared. Funny the things that hold you in awe when you're young. I think it was my first steps into map reading and orienteering ha ha!
The map was there mid 1960s.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 9:19am
I'd completely forgotten that map!

Bookcase - that was the name of the 2nd hand bookshop.

Anyone remember the Maypole (little supermarket)on Liscard Rd near the corner of Mill Lane, and Panta Bricks (?) - shoe shop - on the opposite corner?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 5:13pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Anyone remember the map in liscard, think must of been for people visiting liscard,
If you were looking how to get to Woolworth's press button marked Woolworth's light came on showing were place was and how to get there (start from you are here) crazy

How long was the map there????? think smile

Is this what you're thinking of? This one was outside the public toilets on the corner of Moseley Avenue, virtually opposite St Albans Road, in 1962.

Attached picture WBE1093.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 5:31pm
Wow, yer i remember that smile.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 5:42pm
The `Towers` was my local, even tho i lived in Upton!! Worked in Baxters Butchers in the precinct after school, then Dewhurst opposite!
Mate had a stall in the inside market selling all the `latest` fashions in the 80`s. How he got all thoes shoulder pads in, i dont know!!!
My fave place still to go is Monroes Restaurant, just before The Boot. Small, nice food, friendly and plenty to look at on the walls!
Posted By: angelina Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 28th Feb 2010 10:43pm
Monroes is now Vino Vino. Change... eh even I remember some of these things and I have only lived in Wallasey 20 yrs.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 1st Mar 2010 10:18am
Monroes is still Monroes tho' I think it has changed hands last year, Vino Vino is next door but one.

Dave
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 1st Mar 2010 11:02am
Shops that have gone (I think... haven't been for a while) more recently

Tandy. Mersey Music. Army Navy. Netto wink. Rocks second hand...

It's crap because noone wants to pay to park for a relatively small amount of shops.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 1st Mar 2010 12:14pm
Gravy Train on Mill Lane has gone. Brilliant 2nd hand store - full of memorabilia. There use to be a Record Store in the Market. They then moved into Liscard Village (where the taxi rank is now). Can't recall the name of the place. It was there in the early 1990s. I also remember Halfords on Wallasey Road. When they built Wilkinsons, and closed off the passageway, Halfords closed.

In this passageway there was also another shop. I can't remember what they sold but there was a legal problem with the shops name because it resembled 'Toys R Us'. For instance the name might of been Spuds R Us or Clothes R Us. Anyone remember the actual name of the shop?
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 7th Mar 2010 6:26pm
I went to Withens Lane college in the 70s and have fond memories of Liscard- Bookland , Bargain Box records (bought a few albums there!), Rumblelows and Rox records by the Tower.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 7th Mar 2010 8:05pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
In this passageway there was also another shop. I can't remember what they sold but there was a legal problem with the shops name because it resembled 'Toys R Us'. For instance the name might of been Spuds R Us or Clothes R Us. Anyone remember the actual name of the shop?
Was it the pet shop? (Now "Pet Needs" on Liscard Crescent.)
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 9th Mar 2010 12:55am
Yes, wasn't it Pets 'r us? The butchers called Sausages 'r us in Wallasey Village had the same problem with the Toys 'r us lawyers a couple of years ago.
Posted By: Robert Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 12th Mar 2010 8:21pm
Liscard went down the drain when Marks & Spencers closed. As well as the biggest mistake was putting the roof on the Cherry Tree Centre. Tescos was where Somerfields is or was. And Kwik Save was where the TSB Bank was. There was a British Gas shop which was a charity shop the last time I was in Liscard a few years ago. Bookcase was on Seaview Road I remember.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 12th Mar 2010 9:42pm
Alot has changed since you were in Liscard last! Not for the better either. Loads more charity shops, loads more taxis. It never looks a clean place to me. Somerfield has gone and been replaced with Home Bargains. Primark replaced M&S. I was born and bred in Wallasey and it saddens me. Sayers is still in the same place though, and weve got a Costa Coffee in the Cherry Tree! love that coffee
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 20th Mar 2010 10:22am
i remember liscard too before it got flattened.
The little bookshop on seaview road was excellent. You got a return price on all the books, think it was half what you paid smile
Bookland was indeed 2 shops with a ramp between the 2, one half selling cards and arty stuff and the other books.
The record stall in the market moved to near "the Oak" and became Rham records i think. The guy in there was cool , would always let you hear before buying... Bought my first cd off him... Didnt even have a player ! but had to have the disc as he didnt have it on vinyl
Treasure island ....hated that place.
Peter Toners was the toy shop/bike shop on seaview road, Think it was where the tattoo shop is now.

At the back of liscard crescent ( where Mc Filth is now ) is Monk Rd, there used to be a little church on the left hand corner of monk rd, and then a cluster of cottages a little beyond. ANyone one know the name of these cottages ? I think it was "peartree grove". I had just moved over here from dingle when i was 9 and within a year all liscard became our playground while they rebuilt it.

Anyways, does any one have any pics of these cottages pls?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 20th Mar 2010 10:24am
Originally Posted by charlie
I grew up in birkenhead, but i remember coming to liscard shopping with my mum and thinking it was miles away. We always drove past the house with the big bride doll in the window on gorsey lane.Live in liscard now and find liscard is handy for bits but if u want a good days shopping jump the bus to liverpool.

HOLY crap id forgot all about seeing that bride doll smile
Posted By: angelina Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 20th Mar 2010 10:53am
I stand corrected yes monroes is still there!!!! I remember the bride doll too,and the gas shop on the corner , while the electric shop was on the next corner where wilkos is now.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 6th May 2010 9:10pm
Anyone remember Strothers?
I htink they sold all sorts of electrical applicances but I remember them best for musical instruments & records - I used to go in there with my older brother and he'd drool over the electric guitars and I'd drool over the drum kits (that we couldn't dream of being able to afford back when we wuz kids!)
Finally got my first real drum kit when I was in my 50s!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 7th May 2010 6:42am
I used to work for Strothers & even bought my 78RPM records from there!
Posted By: Razzi Re: Marks and Spencer Liscard - 7th May 2010 11:14am
Only reason i go to liscard anymore is for Psychamok records on liscard road, opposite the Towers. It's the only place i know where you can buy/sell or exchange cds,dvds, vynyl and books and the bloke's nice too I think hes much cheaper than gravytrain ever was and its either him or pay the over inflated prices at hmv birkenhead now they think theyre the only game in town.

But i agree, liscard is shit now
© Wirral-Wikiwirral