Forums
Posted By: inflatablebone Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 6:18pm
Had a few over the years including from the one opposite the Brown Cow (Bebington)and the one in the Barbers in the shops by Beb Station (next to the TV repair shop at the time)...

....however , I raise you Gerry Hamilton's in New Ferry ...one style ...'down to the bone'!

Can ayone beat Gerry ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 6:33pm
As a kid, use to get mine done by peg leg Bob on the Woodchurch, He use to cut your hair to the speed and beat of the record that was on the radio. Remember getting Peggy sue at one time, that was a cocked up hair cut, use to have to pray for a slow one to get a decent trim.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 7:20pm
I vote my mum.

I think she was related to Geronimo cos she use to use this white "cutting comb" that would remove your scalp.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 7:28pm
I"M afraid that white cutting comb sounds like a nit sive
Posted By: cookie Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 8:35pm
There did used to be a white comb that cut your hair,they were lethal. I remember going to a hairdressers on old chester rd who said i needed a demi-wave to give my hair some "body". After it was done i could have become a member of the jackson 5. can remember crying my eyes out on the way home !!!
Posted By: philmch Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 10:10pm
My dad used to go to Fred's which was in Oxton Village. No matter what you asked for, you got an army regulation short back and sides.

When the UK went decimal in 1971, Fred did not and kept his prices in pounds, shillings and pence until he retired.
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 23rd Feb 2010 11:19pm
Originally Posted by cookie
There did used to be a white comb that cut your hair,they were lethal. I remember going to a hairdressers on old chester rd who said i needed a demi-wave to give my hair some "body". After it was done i could have become a member of the jackson 5. can remember crying my eyes out on the way home !!!

I had a demi wave too-biggest regret of my life-I looked like Arthur Scargill nono
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 24th Feb 2010 12:20am
I'm hungry now. Mmmmm chips
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 24th Feb 2010 12:30am
Who doesn't?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 24th Feb 2010 9:05am
My mum used to cut my fringe when I was little. I used to dread it. Every time she made a mistake my fringe got shorter omg
Posted By: Stegga Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 24th Feb 2010 1:14pm
In the early 70s i was regularly dragged to "Kens" barbers that was in a little shop on a garage forecourt. The building that is now 3 Counties car sales in Moreton. Ask for any style you liked, you'd still come out scalped down to the bone! When everybody had started growing their hair long, as was the fashion of the time, i'd ask Ken not to cut it too short. "Okay" he'd say, then scalp ya! I started taking a balaclava with me just to hide the damage. Later years he moved to new premises further towards Moreton cross. I still shudder at the memories!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 24th Feb 2010 1:30pm
Ive had a bowlhead, a rats tale on a helmet+ the dreaded mullet- a proper billy ray cyrus! smile
Posted By: Karmacam Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 7th Apr 2013 10:57pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I vote my mum.

I think she was related to Geronimo cos she use to use this white "cutting comb" that would remove your scalp.

That would have been the 'Comet Comb' which contained a razor blade - my mum used to use one on me in the seventies! frown
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 7th Apr 2013 11:36pm
a few Dodgy perms too....

Miss.....remember when you put 'streaks' in my hair and they turned out orange/yellow?? haha

You went out and got a 'warm brown' dye so i was able to go and see my boyfriend. haha
(now husband).

mind you, he has had dodgy 'do's too-remember The Horns? raftl
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 7th Apr 2013 11:47pm
Originally Posted by Karmacam
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I vote my mum.

That would have been the 'Comet Comb' which contained a razor blade - my mum used to use one on me in the seventies! frown
Haha love this,my sister used to do hair extention looked like rats tails lol.she now got this long bob it looks like the cat has been chewing it as she dosent brush it well at the back.Love the Geronimo bit mate haha
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 8th Apr 2013 12:14am
Oh yes i remember ALL the dodgy hair do's , i have just laughed that much that i have had a MASSIVE coughing fit and nearly chocked, the fringes that got shorter and shorter with you holding the 'bin' to catch the falling hair ... the stick you both got from your 'street ' friends.... OMG wonder i did.nt get reported for CRUELTY' all because we were POOR LOL
Posted By: dave2745 Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 8th Apr 2013 6:51am
Still remember during the early 60s, me and my brothers getting "short, back and sides" at George (?) Platt's barber shop in Brassey Street (just off Laird Street). He was the only barber who didn't check for nits so basically, if you didn't have wuzzies when you went in there, there was a good chance you had them when you came out! No, seriously, he was a good barber, he reminded me of Sid James out of the Carry On films.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 9th Apr 2013 9:48pm
I do remember getting singed! (Why DID they DO that? LOL!)
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 10th Apr 2013 7:11am
my 'ald fella used to cut mine, short back and sides ( i'm not having my lad looking like a bloody hippy )
every time after he'd cut it, i'd rush to the bathroom and cry my eyes out, so when I was old enough I became a bloody hippy....so there dad !
Posted By: terryhorton Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 10th Apr 2013 1:57pm
You sound as if you are talking about Gerry Hamilton, the barber on New Chester Road in New Ferry. We would take a photo of a film star, from a magazine, and ask for that style of haircut. He would study it and we still got the same old short back and sides. In regard to singeing, my Dad always got his hair singed, claiming it stopped him getting a cold. He said the hair would “bleed” after it was cut and needed to be "sealed". If not, cold germs could get down the hollow hair shaft. Way ahead of his time when it came to modern medicine.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 10th Apr 2013 6:53pm
I went to Eaglesome's (sp) on Borough Road nr. junction with Balls Road when I was a youngster. It didn't matter what you or your Dad asked for, you got a severe short back and sides!

Blokes used to go there to be wet shaved - with a cut throat razor!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bad haircuts as a kid. - 11th Apr 2013 12:12pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Blokes used to go there to be wet shaved - with a cut throat razor!!

One of my treats when spending a weekend in London in the 1950's was to go to Trumper's in Curzon St. for a proper shave with a cut-throat razor, hot towels the lot. The place is still there I think. Until a couple of years ago, we had a barber in Shrewsbury offering the same; tried him once, but he cut me slightly.

In Birkenhead, when I was a child, I used to be taken to a barber in Westbourne Rd., near the corner of Windsor St. He use to put a plank of wood across the arms of the chair for me to sit on.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral