Forums
Posted By: Waddi Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 7:45am
[youtube]sQw2fr87d6g[/youtube]

anyone got anymore info?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 9:17am
Wallasey in Cheshire. Now didn't that sound nice?
Posted By: buddy Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 10:48am
Thanks Waddi - I took my daughter to see the dolphins there - got soaked!!!

Incidently on the theme of Guinea Gap Baths - does anyone remember or know of Neil Mckecnie(spelling?)- broke the world record (100yds crawl) approx 1955 - I was the (very weak) link in his relay team!!!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 11:10am
I remember having swimming lessons with school there and they still had the changing stalls at the sides of the pool. Hated every minute of it.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 11:22am
I was at Wally Grammar school at the same time as Neil. Remember him well

Snod
Posted By: buddy Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 11:25am
Originally Posted by Snodvan
I was at Wally Grammar school at the same time as Neil. Remember him well

Hi Snodvan

Any idea what became of him - I'd heard he went abroad - no idea where thou'
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 12:48pm
He was present at the pools 90th birthday celebrations in 1998 and gave a swimming demonstration in front of the Mayor and various dignitaries. A picture of him still hangs on the staircase to the (rather small now) balcony area. There was calamity after the dolphins performed as one of them died. The press at the time said it was because of the water but the dolphin was found subsequently to have a liver compliant that nobody knew about. One of my mates worked there and along with other staff and the dolphin handlers, nursed the dolphin until it unfortunately died.
Posted By: karenjon Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 4:09pm
went to see the dolphins at guinea gap baths with the school got soaked was sitting down stairs in the front. we even got to touch them. what a brilliant day .will never that day.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 4:30pm
What I didnt know was through my Zoo world contacts I know the guy in these pics that trained the Dolphins;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He's going to try and dig out some info including press releases.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 7:06pm
How long were the dolphins there for and why? Sorry if I've missed this in the above posts.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 8:23pm
Yeah I saw them, I was about eight I think. I went to the Guinea Gap swimming a couple of years ago and mentioned the dolphins to the lifeguard and he said yeah, Flipper died there because a child threw a sweet wrapper into the pool and it went into Flippers airhole and he couldnt breathe and died.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 8:51pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
How long were the dolphins there for and why? Sorry if I've missed this in the above posts.

Yeah, I'm having trouble getting my head round this LOL
Did they empty the pool then fill it with fresh water for the dolphins visit then drain it again????
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Dolphins at Guinea Gap Baths - 7th Feb 2010 10:31pm
No, the water was still saltwater back then, they just reduced the chlorine levels.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral