Forums
Posted By: nuddy Levers Causeway - 2nd Feb 2010 8:48pm
Hello folks, been lurkin for a while, great site, really like all this UE stuff!

Anyway back to some history. Have you ever noticed when you drive down Levers Causeway from Bebington, when you get to the roundabout in Storeton the trees that lined the causeway carry on into the fields but the road doesnt. Ive looked at this area on google earth and it looks like it leads to an old system of lanes that all lead to Thornton Hall(Lord Levers old house) hence Levers Causeway! If your driving on the M53 between J3+4 you can see where the causeway was on either side of you.
Also when you drive from Clatterbridge to Brimstage you pass a very impressive set of gates on your left, which i reckon must of been the gates to his estate.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Levers Causeway - 2nd Feb 2010 9:16pm
everything you asume above is correct, i found out this info the other week from some called diggingdeeper on here.
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Levers Causeway - 2nd Feb 2010 10:18pm
Well, since nuddy has been lurking and posted a message, I may as well do the same after a couple of years of checking in - takes me a while to get round to things...............

Apparently old Lord Leverhulme could make his way from his modest abode all the way to Port Sunlight using his private roads. The gates to the main entrance were requisitioned for the War effort, with an IOU for some paltry amount (that was never repaid!). The area in front of the gates was cleared to make the pillars more of a feature, but following incidents of parking on the grassed area, the current fence along the roadside was installed.

Now I must go and find that old thread from a couple of years ago about the sewers in Borough Road and Tranmere that I was going to comment on smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Levers Causeway - 2nd Feb 2010 11:52pm
Originally Posted by MrG65

Now I must go and find that old thread from a couple of years ago about the sewers in Borough Road and Tranmere that I was going to comment on smile

Welcome to wiki. The thread you're looking for is called Borough Rd. overflow tunnel. Do as search for the word "overflow", up to 1 year old & you'll find it. I'd welcome any info. you might have.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 6:13pm
I always wondered what those gates on Brimstage road where for.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 6:52pm
Your mistaken on which gates lead to where.

Leave the front Leverhumes old place in thornton hough and you have the road directly outside, this is straight with a roundabout half way down. you carry straight on to the gates near clatterbridge or left to go towards the causway.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 6:59pm
link fail...
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 7:20pm
Yes, I was meaning the gates/posts just off the south of Brimstage Road, between Brimstage Village and the M53
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 8:49pm
The ones at the 1st bend on brimstage road or the ones futher down just past the 30limit sign?
Posted By: nuddy Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 9:04pm
The ones I was on about have got 4 carved stone pillars, 2 large 1s and 2 smaller 1s on either side.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 9:06pm
They are the Port Sunlight bound gates, the other part of the old raod is the part going through the golf course.
Posted By: nuddy Re: Levers Causeway - 3rd Feb 2010 9:13pm
Yes that makes sense now, the gates further down Brimstage Road must lead to the causeway.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Levers Causeway - 5th Feb 2010 12:48pm
I understand that the tree lined avenues were used to store vehicles imported into Liverpool & Birkenhead for D-Day.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Levers Causeway - 5th Feb 2010 6:43pm
Here's a good place for pics in the area:

Clicky
© Wirral-Wikiwirral