Forums
Posted By: Tilly The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 12:13pm
...NewBrighton, they where stabled in tollemache st. the bloke that owned them was Jack ?? his brother Eddie also had Donkey's stabled around the corner. i used to work for Jack and took the donkey's down the Beach everyday in summer holidays and weekends,
he used to pay me 2/6 (half a crown) a day i was loaded by the end of the week.
in the winter they still needed to be exercised so we would walk them up towards seacombe ferry along the prom, but none of them would walk past Mother Redcaps no matter how we tried thats as far as they would go.
i can remember some of the the donkey's names
Silver (stallion)
Mandy
Sandy
Chocolate
N****er
and
Yogi
thats as far as my memory goes on thier names.

Posted By: bert1 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 1:37pm
New Brighton 1950

Attached picture donkey1.jpg
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 2:19pm
thanks for the pic bert, but i have to tell you, that man is not George Felton, that man is Jack Clarke. i have the same picture at home also a color pic of the same man, the black and white one was taken early 60's and the other one i have is taken in the 70's. (photobucket site is down so cant post it yet) i know he is on the front cover of a wirral book but the person that named him as George Felton is wrong.

and Jack Clarks Grandaughter is a friend of my daughters and also confirmed photo as her grandad.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 2:57pm
I wouldn't know Tilly, just a pic in one of my books.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 3:07pm
Jack Clarke had been a popular donkeyman fot some 20 years. Members of the Clarke family, who mostly lived in Egerton Street, were closely associated with horses and donkeys over several generations. Bob Clarke, for example, kept horses for hire at stable in Alexandra Road. Riders would take them along the shore as far as Leasowe and back. Lily Clarke married Bob Felton and they took photographs of visitors in the Tower grounds.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 3:26pm
So would george felton be the son of bob n lily?
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 4:23pm
yeh he could be
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 9th Dec 2009 4:26pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I wouldn't know Tilly, just a pic in one of my books.

i bet Jack Clarke would be mortified if he was alive today and saw a pic of himself under a maybe 'nephews' name raftl
Posted By: Bubble Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 1st Jan 2010 11:49am
We spent so much money on donkey rides for my daughter that we eventually bought Mandy when she retired! She lived for a good few years and deserved a happy end after all that hard work on the beach.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 1st Jan 2010 1:13pm
Took my little 'un to New Brighton and she had a go on the donkeys. She was so small I had to hold on to her and walk behind the donkey, which duly started crapping onto my shoes as I was walking and couldn't get out of the way. "You should go to the bingo tonight, you'll win," shouted one old dear, the rest of the crowd just pissed themselves laughing, including my missus.
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 1st Jan 2010 1:50pm
Originally Posted by Bubble
We spent so much money on donkey rides for my daughter that we eventually bought Mandy when she retired! She lived for a good few years and deserved a happy end after all that hard work on the beach.

thank you for telling me about Mandy smile she and Yogi where my favorites, i always wondered what became of them! its good to know at least one of them had a happy retirement grin good for you clap
Yogi is the Middle Donkey not sure if the white one is Mandy or Silver (Mandy was always coupled to Yogi tho) the brown one is chocolate

Attached picture 452514451_08307b7b13.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 2nd Jan 2010 9:53am
Took my daughter on Clarky's donkeys several times. Also remember some being stabled next to The Perch Rock pub.
Posted By: FRANKIE Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 2nd Jan 2010 12:57pm
Anybody remember Percy,?
He used to help with the donkeys and lived in the stables I believe,
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 2nd Jan 2010 6:09pm
Originally Posted by FRANKIE
Anybody remember Percy,?
He used to help with the donkeys and lived in the stables I believe,

i think he worked for Eddie Clark who also had some donkeys stabled in Egerton st (i think)
Posted By: overthehill Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 6:31pm
This is not George Felton, but my Uncle Jack Clarke. As a child I lived in Seymour Place West, next door to Uncle Jack's stable
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 6:35pm
I've already said it's not George Felton but is Jack Clarke ;-)
Posted By: overthehill Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 6:51pm
Oh how I remember the donkeys and my Uncle Jack, with great affection. We lived next to his stable in Seymour Place West (the whole block got demolished in the 60's and he moved to stables in Tollemache Street). My mum was Vera Clarke, Jack and Eddie were her cousins - along with too many others to remember. Someone mentioned Bob Clarke, who was my grandad. He had stables and horses and give riding lessons along the shore. He famously gave riding lessons to Gracie Fields when she was appearing at The Tivoli. I have a picture of my mum aged about 15 on a beautiful horse called Bess. It was taken outside their house in Egerton Street, just by The Avenue.

Occasionally Uncle Jack had an escapee from the stable when he was mucking out and feeding. It would be all hands to the pump to corral the errant donkey, usually the white stallion. Great fun.
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Jan 2011 10:18pm
hahaha great days they where too. I remember the white Stallion called Silver, always escaping, we'd find him munching someone's lawn lol!
Posted By: Helles Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Jan 2011 12:17am
Always annoyed me seeing that book with Jack being captioned as Felton. (Any relation to the Felton's from Waterloo road?). Hate it when someone produces a book who obviously doesn't know a thing about the subject.

There were three stables in New Brighton. Tollemache street, Grosvenor road and one most miss is Seymour street as has been stated previously.

I would dearly love to see that photo taken by the Avenue. There are few if any photo's of it at all. PM if you want my email please.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Jan 2011 12:51pm
Not sure if this has benn posted before?
Marion that owns 'Tallulah's' in New Brighton has brought the donkeys back in the summer months. She worked with them as a girl for the Clark's in the 60/70's.
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Jan 2011 12:57pm
Marion was working there the same time as me. it's great that she has revived the good old donkey days.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Jan 2011 1:01pm
Oh that's nice Tilly. I admire Marion,she's invested alot in our area.
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Sep 2011 2:10pm
Hi overthehill, I lived on the corner of Grosvenor Road opposite Pollocks shop; and clearly rememberplaying in those stables, also at times helping bring the donkey's up from the beach.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Sep 2011 8:34pm
Not exactly the most exciting of photos, but are these the stables you're talking about, between Seymour Place East and West?

Attached picture Seymour_Place_East_6.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 28th Sep 2011 8:41pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Not exactly the most exciting of photos, but are these the stables you're talking about, between Seymour Place East and West?
Brill,thankyou!
Posted By: Helles Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Sep 2011 10:44am
Oooh you can see the back of my old house in that one.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Sep 2011 11:11am
I did a few summers with Jack and his donkeys. He was a lovely man and sometimes his wife and son would come down. Half-a-crown was the daily wage but I would have done it for nothing. His sister had the lemonade and bucket and spade stall next to him on the beach.

Silver was a bit of a handful but produced a fabulous white, male foal (I cannot remember the name of the mare but think it began with a P) and I often wonder what happened to them.

Another Clarke had the waltzer in New Brighton fairground, always interesting walking through to see what was going on.
Posted By: Helles Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 29th Sep 2011 4:23pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
I did a few summers with Jack and his donkeys. He was a lovely man and sometimes his wife and son would come down. Half-a-crown was the daily wage but I would have done it for nothing. His sister had the lemonade and bucket and spade stall next to him on the beach.

Silver was a bit of a handful but produced a fabulous white, male foal (I cannot remember the name of the mare but think it began with a P) and I often wonder what happened to them.

Another Clarke had the waltzer in New Brighton fairground, always interesting walking through to see what was going on.

The one that had the waltzer plus some stalls was Leo. Always smoked big cigars and drove a maroon Jag.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:00pm

A well known photograph of the donkeys at New Brighton. The guy in the photo is actually a relative of mine. he kept his donkeys in Egerton Street just behind the Perch Rock pub

Attached picture donkeys.jpg
Posted By: sunnyside Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:02pm
nice one pablo, been on them a few times bet they don;t have donkey rides anymore on the beach
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:08pm
I think they stopped in the seventies, if I remember rightly
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:34pm
There used to be Clarke's Donkey stables on Seymour Street
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:37pm
The stables were our play area, we used to crawl in under the doors and play in the hay, as well as climbing on the roof . aaahhhh carefree days.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:37pm
I've put this pic on here myself before, can't remember where.
Tilly is the girl you want to answer questions on this, she worked with the donkey's and I think she knew the owners well.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 5:56pm
Found it

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._remembers_the_Donkey_s_.html#Post372259
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 6:08pm
Nice one Bert. It was the Clarke family that had the donkeys
Posted By: Moonstar Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 6:13pm
You are right Pablo, Eddy was behind the Perch and Jack was further along up the hill a bit and turn left.

It is Jack in the picture. A real gent.
Posted By: ilovecuba Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th Dec 2011 8:51pm
jack & his wife lived opposite me in Richmond street and his sister Joan (who has sadly just died in a house fire )lived next door to me in same street. Yes they owned the donkey's they also ran the ice cream van business for many years which used to be sited in front of perch rock. They where a lovely family and where respected very highly in new brighton.
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 15th Dec 2011 4:26pm
we should get things like this back down at the beach in the summer, with a new pier and fair ground i would be very happy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 15th Dec 2011 4:31pm
We have donkeys on the beach again, thankyou!
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 15th Dec 2011 4:46pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
We have donkeys on the beach again, thankyou!

do we? i never new this mum.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th May 2012 11:17am

Ladies on the donkeys, New Brighton 1900. Notice they are riding side saddle

Attached picture DonkeysNewBrightonc1900.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th May 2012 11:18am

Ladies in New Brighton 1889

Attached picture New-Brighton1889.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: The Donkeys in New Brighton - 14th May 2012 11:19am

The gentlemen also had a fun time...

Attached picture New-Brighton-1.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral