Forums
Posted By: purfek Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 8:58pm
woodside station large print

Attached picture Woodside-3.jpg
can not see picture up
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 10:10pm
Another view(inside)

www.liverpoolwiki.org/Liverpool%27s_destroyed_landmarks?action=Files&do=view&target=Woodside-1.jpg

Attached picture Woodside-1.jpg
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 10:45pm
Hard to imagine, considering the dump it is now.
Don't know why Liverpoolwiki should be including Woodside as one of their destroyed landmarks. Good pics though; pity they didn't take one of the front entrance!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 11:02pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
pity they didn't take one of the front entrance!

Front, 1954

Attached picture woodsidefront1954.jpg
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 11:03pm
The building in the photo was not part of the station. I seem to remember that it included a Post Office prior to demolition.
As the station was built a*** about t** the nice bits of architecture were on the far side from the bus station. What was intended to be the main entrance/booking office ended up as the parcels office. This had a hammerbeam roof which would put many churches to shame.It's a shame that the station didn't survive into the days of listed buildings, as it would probably still be with us.

Bob.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Black and White photographs of Woodside Station - 26th Oct 2009 11:26pm
The Post Office part is at the bottom where the vans are parked. The picture is from 'Railway Stations of Wirral'
Just to complete the set from "Railway Stations of Wirral"

Attached picture 2009-10-27_10-13-18_0077.jpg
Attached picture 2009-10-27_10-17-43_0078.jpg
I was at Crewe station today & the decorative brickwork there, in a mix of red & yellow brick is remarkably similar to Woodside. It's pretty dirty but would look magnificent if it were cleaned up.
[quote=chriskay]I was at Crewe station today & the decorative brickwork there, in a mix of red & yellow brick is remarkably similar to Woodside. quote]

Built for the same railway company - the LNWR.

Although Birkenhead - Chester was a joint line between the GWR and LNWR - the LNWR has responsibility for the all the buildings and signalling, whilst the GWR maintained the track - hence the LNWR 'look' and similarity
Thanks for that, Pete; I hadn't made the connection but when you pointed it out, it was obvious.
Actually, Crewe station was built in 1837 for the Grand Junction Railway which became the LNWR in 1845, but I think the actual buildings date from later.
Originally Posted by chriskay
Thanks for that, Pete; I hadn't made the connection but when you pointed it out, it was obvious.
Actually, Crewe station was built in 1837 for the Grand Junction Railway which became the LNWR in 1845, but I think the actual buildings date from later.

They do indeed - Crewe had a number of successive enlargements - resulting in newer buildings in some case - when railways were booming and was once the largest junction in the world - plus Britains largest locomotive works.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral