Forums
Posted By: purfek East Float (Black n white photographs) - 14th Oct 2009 8:20pm

More here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57331414@N00/484473216/

Attached picture 484473216_2a8e49b3ff_b.jpg
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 5:33pm
Excellent photo!. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: bri445 Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 6:33pm
Yes! Great photo, showing about 12 various ships from the days when Birkenhead docks were busy and important in the nation's trading. Sadly, no longer.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 8:27pm
is the atlantic building in the middle of the large warehouse still being used today?
Posted By: jimbob Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 8:42pm
It was used by the royal marine reserves during the 80s and 90s not sure if they are still using the place
Posted By: bri445 Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 9:45pm
It's not there now, according to Google Earth!

Attached picture map.gif
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 10:16pm
what? i seen it yesterday from cleavland street. unless your thinking of the other large building closer towards seacombe that's just above the building i'm going on about
Posted By: AR_One Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 10:23pm
"It was used by the royal marine reserves during the 80s and 90s not sure if they are still using the place"

jimbob thanks you've just confirmed that I'm not losing my memory:

When I was about 8 or 9 I went on a cub scout trip to see the "SBS" and I could of sworn it was in Birkenhead docs. We got a ride on a boat got shown scuba gear and guns etc - I loved it but was beginining to think that I'd imagined it all. The SBS having a base in Birkenhead docs - what nonsense - but it's true (nearly) smile
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 10:34pm
Here's The One I'm Thinking Of idiot

Description: Building Roof
Attached picture east float building.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 15th Oct 2009 10:53pm
Sorry, verysorry wrong shed!
Posted By: geejay64 Re: East Float (Black n white photographs) - 6th Apr 2011 8:47pm
hi all, i remember the east float flour mills very well. i used to get the bus(i think it was the number 10 or 11) to my nans in gorsey lane wallasey. we would pass down canning road past the mills, or go over duke street bridge.
the mills used to scare me as a child. they looked like a prison. i now live in one of the mills. there's a saying about apples don't fall far from the tree.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral