Forums
Posted By: chriskay Air Raid Shelters - 29th Aug 2009 11:35am
I spent a couple of hours at the Archives a couple of days ago. I was browsing a box of stuff about wartime air raid shelters. Here's a couple of funnies I found; more serious stuff to follow.

Attached picture P1010261.jpg
Attached picture P1010260.jpg
Attached picture P1010274.jpg
Attached picture P1010275.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Air Raid Shelters - 29th Aug 2009 1:46pm
More from the shelters archive.
Note that on page 2 of the first item, dated April 1941, the proposal to start the Tranmere tunnels (I thought it was earlier). Also in that section, paragraph 3 of the second page, the idea that a contractor who had just finished the Stockport tunnels might be available.

Description: Page 1
Attached picture P1010278.jpg

Description: Page 2
Attached picture P1010279.jpg
Attached picture P1010262.jpg
Attached picture P1010263.jpg
Attached picture P1010264.jpg
Attached picture P1010265.jpg
Attached picture P1010267.jpg
Attached picture P1010266.jpg
Attached picture P1010268.jpg
Attached picture P1010269.jpg

Description: Recognise any names on this; family members perhaps?
Attached picture P1010270.jpg
Attached picture P1010271.jpg
Attached picture P1010272.jpg
Attached picture P1010273.jpg
Attached picture P1010276.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Air Raid Shelters - 29th Aug 2009 2:05pm
Excellent Chris, read every word. Loads of local info there. Good find mate!
Posted By: davew3 Re: Air Raid Shelters - 29th Aug 2009 2:24pm
Superb pieces of history Chris,I hope you get lots more up on this site,it's a shame the archives people don't go thru the paperwork and put it on this local site.
Posted By: cristina Re: Air Raid Shelters - 11th Dec 2015 2:00pm
Hi There!

Im doing a university project based on Bidston Observatory and the Air raid shelters.. I'm proposing a resurrection, altho im sure it will stay in a hypothetical project, Im trying to gather as much info as possible to compile in a report and hopefully some day can help to reopen the tunnels! Ive been reading all threads, fascinating stuff, there is a lot of images I cant access tho, is there any chance I could be granted access to this archives images? Or let me know where did you get the images from?? Every help would be immensely appreciated and credited of course!

Thanks
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Air Raid Shelters - 11th Dec 2015 2:25pm
Upgrade your membership to user plus, you can see images then.
Posted By: CureForPain Re: Air Raid Shelters - 15th Dec 2015 8:45am
I know sites need money and donation for upkeep, but I don't think charging £4 to view images is a fair way to do it. Especially since this is all user-generated content, I do't much like the idea of a third party making money off my pics!

Be aware that the wartime stuff in the archives is under copyright and you're not really supposed to be put it out in public. Though somehow, I don't think you're going to get the Merseyside Police Archive Squad turning up at your door in dark suits... laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Air Raid Shelters - 15th Dec 2015 2:32pm
Like it or leave it, Mark administers these forums and shouldn't have to shoulder the cost himself as well as put in many hours to develop, support and moderate. Then to top it all he has to deal with a load of abuse thrown at him and/or the forum.

Clearly Mark's financial model works or the forum wouldn't be here, the other users can't be wrong.

I run other sites that are free but I wouldn't be prepared to put in a quarter of the work that Mark does. I am fortunate that my sites are sponsored another way which may not always be the case.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Air Raid Shelters - 15th Dec 2015 7:26pm
So you want to see some of our photos but not prepared to shell out 4 quid to further your studies.
Thats not the way we roll or the people who put the time in several times i might point out to get bidston tunnels open.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral