Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 27th Aug 2009 3:26pm
I remember, many years ago again, when there was a little quiz in our local, it was either the Shamrock, Pacific, Gents, North Star et al. The idea was that you started off at Duke Street and walked down to Woodside Ferry without passing a pub. Anyway, the best drinking minds in the area were put to this quest and there were wonderful ways of doing it until you got nearer to Woodside, which at the time was well surrounded with ale houses. In the end it was deemed impossible and the quiz master then laughed his head off and said that you didn't pass any pubs, you called in to each one. Such things the amber liquid makes entertaining.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 27th Aug 2009 4:23pm
Do you remember? when your stories started "once upon a time" now they seem to start "I remember many years ago" or am I asking to much?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 1st Sep 2009 2:33pm
Yeah, but those stories had frogs and princes and princesses and talking animals in them. This story is about old pubs, different format, but if you want to start "once upon a time" make your own story up and don't pinch mine.
Posted By: Cazusa Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 6th May 2012 10:52pm
Does anyone know what the name of the public house that was right across the road from the Cammel Laird Entrance.? According to family lore my great grandparents ran this pub and believe that the photographs that were taken in 1929 at my grandparents wedding were taken in the backyard of this public house. Would love to know the name of this establishment. Know that great grandfather had been newsroom steward then 2nd, cook, Chef and lastly caterer!
Any help would be great:)
Posted By: Cazusa Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 6th May 2012 10:53pm
Update to last request, of course should have read mess room steward
Posted By: gopher Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 7th May 2012 12:01am
Originally Posted by Cazusa
Does anyone know what the name of the public house that was right across the road from the Cammel Laird Entrance.? According to family lore my great grandparents ran this pub and believe that the photographs that were taken in 1929 at my grandparents wedding were taken in the backyard of this public house. Would love to know the name of this establishment. Know that great grandfather had been newsroom steward then 2nd, cook, Chef and lastly caterer!
Any help would be great:)
The Royal Castle was opposite the old gates by the lairage, it is now The Revolver pub/nightclub, years ago Ronnie was the boss, he was locked upstairs by the brewery because he was an alcoholic and a relief was brought in to run it. That was in the 60s or early 70s i believe, hope this helps.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Birkenhead Pub Quiz - 7th May 2012 7:35am
pics are here click
© Wirral-Wikiwirral