Forums
Posted By: bert1 Boys lost in the Dee - 18th Aug 2009 3:10pm
Between 1963 and 1967 four boys aged around 12 years of age who attended my school Woodchurch Sec went for a day out to Heswall. They decided to try and walk across the Dee to Wales. About half way across they got in to trouble with the incoming tide and were stranded on a sandbank, Two of the boys could not swim, the other 2 decided to swim back to shore at Heswall to raise the alarm, one of the boys who was not a very good swimmer had to turn back towards the sandbank, no one knows if he made it. The other boy continued and made it back to Heswall and raised the alarm. The Heswall Lifeboat was launched but unfortunately the engine was out of the Lifeboat being repaired, the only crew that could be mustered included some very brave and dedicated eighty year old's who had to row the boat to try and save the boys, unfortunately they were not successful. Three boys lost their lives. To my shame i can only remember 2 of the boys names, Paul Apter and David Ardern, hopefully I've spelt them right, The lad who made it ashore i think his name was Mccartney or Mccarthy, I don't remember if any bodies were found immediately but i do remember the sea giving up one of the boys about 2 weeks later, he was washed ashore on the Welsh coast. Hopefully someone else on here has knowledge of this tragedy and can fill in the blanks.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 18th Aug 2009 3:29pm
What a tragic story. I hope you find your answers.
Posted By: nickynocky Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 18th Aug 2009 4:49pm
very sad The sea can be a good friend if you get to know it,and a cruel master if you don"t.
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 18th Aug 2009 6:12pm
My Dad has told me about this story, said they where his mates, he was in woodchurch from 63-67 i will have a word with him later and try find out for you
Posted By: nissangti Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 20th Aug 2009 2:12am
This may sound a bit odd. I told mum about what id read on here as my nans maidan name is apter, thought it was a odd coincidence and not a populer surname turns out paul apter is / was my nans cousin that had sadly died that day. My nan is now 63 and still remembers hearing the sad news. will try and find out more when i have the time. Just thought id reply to this cheers.

mick
Posted By: bert1 Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 20th Aug 2009 4:50am
Originally Posted by hooch
This may sound a bit odd. I told mum about what id read on here as my nans maidan name is apter, thought it was a odd coincidence and not a populer surname turns out paul apter is / was my nans cousin that had sadly died that day. My nan is now 63 and still remembers hearing the sad news. will try and find out more when i have the time. Just thought id reply to this cheers.

mick

Thanks for that Hooch, look forward to hearing more.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 26th Sep 2011 5:38pm
Doesn't seem to be an update on this sad event, but I do remember the incident and one of the boys lived in Wimbourne avenue Pensby but I can't remember the names either sorry.

PB
Posted By: MikeRobe Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 31st Oct 2011 2:53pm
I remember this well. The other name you are looking for is Harding (Kevin?). He was from Big Meadow Road, as was I, on the Woodchurch Estate. Great tragedy and sad loss.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 31st Oct 2011 5:25pm
Thanks for the input Mike, the name Harding does ring a bell, i hope I'm not getting mixed up with Ardern and Harding, I also knew of a Kevin Harding from Big Meadow, I think Kevin made it to adulthood, though i might be wrong, possibly his brother was the unfortunate one, I really must get down and look at the Birkenhead News archives.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 7th Nov 2011 3:50pm
I went to the archives and found the story of these unfortunate boys in the Birkenhead News, September 1965. My account of what happened was a little bit out after 46 years. I couldn't get it copied so i hope you can muddle through the photos. I think i owed it to them to get their names right.

Tony Mcgarrity, survived.
Paul Apter, died.
Clive Ardern, died.
Nicholas Watkin, died.

Attached picture dee 001.jpg
Attached picture dee 002.jpg
Attached picture dee 003.jpg
Attached picture dee 004.jpg
Attached picture dee 005.jpg
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 17th Nov 2011 6:35pm
Thanks for the update bert1, Nicholas Watkin was the chap I knew, but sadly I couldn't remember his name. We went to the same school (Woodchurch secondary modern) and lived in the same road, Wimbourne avenue, I also remember his Mum and Dad too.

I didn't know his Dad was a Master at Laird school of art, I was a student there a few years later but I can't recall Mr Watkin being there at the time.
I don't remember the other two lads either but they were a couple of years older than me so not in my class or year, I'm sure we were all in the same school though.

PB
Posted By: sixinchruler Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 14th Dec 2011 11:14pm
Just a little more information, Mr Watkin was a teacher in Fender Primary School on the Woodchurch at the time of his sons death.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Boys lost in the Dee - 16th Dec 2011 8:10pm
Thought it odd I'de not heard of him at Laird School of art.

PB.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral