Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 4th Aug 2009 5:38pm
Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hopsital was mentioned in another post but I can't for the life of me find it.

Thought this picture might interest someone as there where supposed to be tunnels underneath it??

The pics shows tollemache road with flaybrick cemetery on the left and hospital in the middle.

Description: BIDH
Attached picture DSC01123.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 4th Aug 2009 6:53pm
Excellent pic. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 4th Aug 2009 8:46pm
wow cool so were,s the tunnel on the pic boss ?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 5th Aug 2009 4:28pm
St James Hospital, more commonly called the Fever Hospital by the locals. I was in there when I was 4 with diptheria and when I was recovering can remember riding on the meal delivery truck as a treat. There used to be a sister there who was into horse racing and she tipped me to always bet on a nag called Flag Wallah. I never did but it did win once with Gordon Richards up if I remember corretly.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 5th Aug 2009 4:40pm
That is a fantastic photo - i guess the hedges on the right are the boundary of the recreation ground (quarry at that time?). Do you have a date for the photo?
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 9:52am
Not sure about the tunnels they where mentioned in another post, maybe the bidston tunnels one. Think it mentioned something about travelling from the hospital to the graveyard to avoid spread of infection?? Could be making that up though!!

Do you know when it closed Bandycoot?? as I think there is a modern housing estate there now?

And photo is dated 1914 and shows a funeral procession of a soldier who was killed in a dormitory in Bebington after the roof collapsed. Also says the hospital was opened in 1894

Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 10:48am
Originally Posted by ghostly1

I think there is a modern housing estate there now?

there is a modern housing estate sitting directly on top of where it used to stand. some of the locals i know call it the nannies estate due to the back of the house's overlooking it. no idea when it was demolished but i'm guessing it was between the 60's to 80's.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 10:57am
Sorry me old, haven't a clue. I left the town in 1958 and only get back now and again. This is a cracking site for exiles. I read through and if there is anything I can recall I just put it on in case it helps someones research or interest.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 11:03am
One thing I do remember is that it used to be called the Nanny Goat Mountains by us kids so that is possibly where the Nannies Estate comes from. Can't remember actually seeing any nanny goats there but it used to have a sort of sandstone escarpment up against the high walls in one part of the boundary. There was a sort of pathway along the Flaybrick Cemetery side and this is where the escarpment was as far as I can remember.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 8:04pm
During the 80s part of the hospital was used as a nursing home for the elderly. SO it was the backend of the 80s or early 90s before it was completly knocked down.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 8:55pm
the houses built on old hostpital site are about 16 years old never heard them called the nannies estate smile
Posted By: dingle Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 6th Aug 2009 11:09pm
Ghostly1, try this link https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ston_Diphtheria_Rooms_of.html#Post193291
It is about the tunnels relating to the old hospital.

Dave
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 7th Aug 2009 9:18am
Nice one Dave, I have put a link on that post now to the picture on this one. Cheers!
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 8th Aug 2009 1:11am
I grew up in Moreton but moved to this area 11 years ago. My dad told me there was a hospital (where the brand new houses are at the top of mercer road/flaybrick)that was run by nun`s. My partner also tells me his brother went there but can`t remember what for (70`s) I walk up the nannies regualry and have never noticed anything before except trees etc but will deffo look for noticable signs now i know a bit about the history! Thanx guys!
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 8th Aug 2009 7:38am
I have done a lot of research over the years and as far as i can tell there were no tunnels just basements which have been filled and capped before the houses of which is now the oakwood estate where built.There was a small tunnel comming out on the nannygoat to take the dead up to the mortuary rooms at the rear of flaybrick but this has been filled and bricked over.
The picture at the start of the thread is of a funeral a young soldier who was killed during a building collapse during high winds at the bebington oval.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital - 8th Aug 2009 7:55am
i find this section and the posts on fever hospital. the cellars fasinating, there is also a section called bidston cellars a more recent trip.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral