Forums
Posted By: chriskay WW2 magazine - 3rd Aug 2009 2:30pm
I've just obtained some old magazines; thought this might be interesting.
This is 'Practical Engineering' from Feb.1940. This was during what was known as the Phoney War: Hitler had invaded Poland & we had declared war on Germany, but not much was happening. It was not until May 1940 that Hitler invaded France & the war really began.
Looking at the adverts in the magazine, it was clear that the war was very much in peoples' minds.

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg
Attached picture 4.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: WW2 magazine - 3rd Aug 2009 6:12pm
Love "this is Fighting talk"
Thanks for sharing chris wink
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW2 magazine - 3rd Aug 2009 6:12pm
That Newnes war atlas must of been useful, knowing exactly where your loved one was blown to bits must of come in very handy.
Posted By: bri445 Re: WW2 magazine - 3rd Aug 2009 6:40pm
It's interesting that they should start a new magazine at that time, and a weekly too, when paper supply was restricted. The supply of wood pulp from Scandinavia was cut off and there was a drive to collect waste paper and rags. The paper quality was poor and yellowed, as seen here. Remember the 'Wartime Economy Book Publishing' symbol?
Nice find, Chris. I bet they are full of good technical stuff but not giving any war secrets away!
Bri
Posted By: chriskay Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 11:21am
Bri; no, I don't remember that economy symbol. I remember the one on furniture & clothing, but I can't find an illustration. I think that in 1940, shortages hadn't made themselves fully felt. I've scanned some more pages, this time from " Practical Mechanics" from 1943 & 1944. On the first page of the Feb 1944 one, there's a note about the paper shortage, just below the heading; same in the April 1943 one. In both, there's quite a few pages of "The Cyclist" but nothing from "Practical Motorist" or "Home Movies"
Hope you all find these scans interesting.

You need to copy & paste the link to the Me 323.

Description: April 1943
Attached picture 43-1.jpg

Description: April 1943 I'm surprised that they could give even this much info. out.
Attached picture 43-2.jpg

Description: April 1943 Bloody war! Can't even get model railway stuff.
Attached picture 43-4.jpg

Description: Couldn't resist this one; sorry girls.
Attached picture 43-3.jpg

Description: This & all the following ones are from Feb 1944
Attached picture 44-1.jpg

Description: Notice how the lamp is masked to only throw light downwards
Attached picture 44-2.jpg

Description: Another from Bassett-Lowke. They were considered the Rolls Royce of English railway models.
Attached picture 44-3.jpg

Description: http://ww2db.com/aircraft_spec.php?aircraft_model_id=212
Attached picture 44-4.jpg

Description: I guess that before the war, it was all natural rubber
Attached picture 44-5.jpg

Description: Another ad. apologising for shortages.
Attached picture 44-6.jpg

Description: The small ads.
Attached picture 44-7.jpg

Description: From the small ads page. Note that he had to confirm that he is British: Becker has a distinct German ring to it!
Attached picture 44-8.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 11:50am
This is excellent stuff Chris.Great find and thanks for sharing. smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 3:37pm
Just a bit more from the cycling section. This from 1947.
Discussing the cost of touring.

"I should think it needs all of a pound a day to meet the complete expenses of a cycling tour, and that is not reckoning such personal items as tobacco, strong liquor and postage stamps."

And this advert; I can't really believe that the double entendre was intentional, but I think it's hilarious; look at the marvellous shy, eyes-cast-down expressions.

Attached picture 2009-08-04 16-25-15_0059.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 5:30pm
Here's the economy symbol, 2''x1.1/2'', on an electronics book of 1948.

Those small ads bring a lot back! Chemistry sets... I could buy a lot of nasty chemicals with glass and rubber tubing at the chemist in Bebington Road, between the station and Barlow Ave. What was the name?
Used to spend hours glass-bending, over the gas stove flame. Got a bunsen burner later. Gas was cheap then! Penny in the slot meter AND a rebate!
Home-made fireworks were popular at any time of the year, naturally. Potassium chlorate, strontium nitrate, sulphur, iron filings and charcoal in un-remembered proportions!
We survived somehow!

Which reminds me of war surplus equipment, Whitechapel, Praed Street, Tott. Court Road.....OK,thats enough, some other time...

Bri

Attached picture Scan-090804-0002.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 5:58pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Just a bit more from the cycling section. This from 1947.

Has he just given her a ream of A4 paper and a tin of Heinz beans? That's the way to a woman's heart!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 6:17pm
Thanks for that Bri; I remember it now. I too was an amateur chemist. Don't know the name of yours, but mine was in Prenton Rd.West, opposite the Rovers' ground. He was a great old guy who taught me a lot. Sold me my first camera too, an old 1/2plate one, with glass plates, not film. He rejoiced in the name of Percy Kingdom Bottomley. In about 1955 I worked for a time at J.W.Towers, laboratory suppliers, at the top of Brownlow Hill; that was great, I could get anything I wanted & even sometimes had stuff delivered. Yes, we did survive, with most of our parts.
Posted By: bri445 Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 6:47pm
I remember the name JW Towers! Did they have a catalogue of beakers, flasks, etc.? A 'Leibig's condenser' would have been useful, too!

And here's the Utility symbol:

Attached picture util2.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 11:10pm
Towers had a very large catalogue.
Thanks for the utility symbol; I never knew what it meant, looks like a very early Pacman. How about you?
Posted By: chriskay Re: WW2 magazine - 4th Aug 2009 11:13pm
Originally Posted by bri445

Has he just given her a ream of A4 paper

No, that would be foolscap.
Posted By: bri445 Re: WW2 magazine - 5th Aug 2009 10:04am
Not many would know foolscap nowadays!!

The utility sign was said to stand for 'Civilian Clothing 1941' so why was it used on furniture as well?

Attached picture utility.gif
© Wirral-Wikiwirral