Forums
This church is on the corner of Park Road South and Merton Place, Birkenhead. It looks like it has had a recent roof fire (the internal walls are not sooted).

Its last role was as "Park Christian Centre" but was formely called "Church of Christ", before this again it was known as the "Catholic Apostolic Church" in 1875

Sadly it looks like it has had a recent roof fire, the internal walls are not sooted. The electricity supply cable has been renewed so this may be an electrical fault. I don't know when this happened.

Attached picture IMG_1603-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1587-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1588-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1591-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1592-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1593-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1595-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1596-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1598-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1601-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1602-s.jpg
Wo! When did that burn?
thats been empty for years! did not know it had been on fire looks well gutted! also mate thats prime land!

How it used to be:

Attached picture churchofc.jpg
Attached picture churchofc1.jpg
Thanks Upton - couldn't find them last night.

Did it burn down yesterday? Just caught the tale end of Buzz/Heart FM saying something about a fire with four tenders on Park Road South.

It didn't smell that recent and wasn't particularly wet, security firm had brand new signs up and eleccy had been sorted, so I assumed it was a while ago - but I was surprised, have passed there alot recently and not noticed it burnt down.
Posted By: Mark Re: Church of Christ/Park Christian Centre - FIRE - 28th Jun 2009 10:53am
wow great post and we drive past it almost every day. . .
Saturday, 27 June 2009
Park Road South Birkenhead
2 appliances and 1 appliance birkenhead attended an unoccupied church on fire. A combined platform ladder and 3 main branches were used to extinguish the fire. TOC 00:45
i went past the church today and it looks like it's being knocked down. thats what those new warning signs say and i seen 2 builders in a van marking something out nearby
Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
i went past the church today and it looks like it's being knocked down. thats what those new warning signs say and i seen 2 builders in a van marking something out nearby
I thought it would be, I checked it last night and no sign of anything.
The structure of the building is fine, it would just need a new roof including full timbers and windows. Trouble is that there is nobody who wants it.
The council have examined the building and decided that the gable end is unstable (I've seen it wobble - it is) and that the remaining woodwork has to come down to make the building safe.

After this process the building will be demolished, although I don't know if they may try to retain the tower which is an old landmark. There is a chance some of the brickwork on the tower may also be unsafe - seeing the effects of the fire on the gable end I would be surprised if the tower has surviced unscathed.

Initially they were using a hook on the end of the crane to pull down the rafters, they tried to move the kingpin at the curved gable and the hook broke!

The two smaller gable and the remaining woodwork will be coming down tommorrow.

Attached picture IMG_1720-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1724-s.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1725-s.jpg

Description: The unstable gable
Attached picture IMG_1727-s.jpg

Description: The kingpin on the curved gable.
Attached picture IMG_1728-s.jpg

Description: Hook is struggling
Attached picture IMG_1730-s.jpg

Description: Broken hook
Attached picture IMG_1731-s.jpg

Description: They tried to rescue the stone cross but it was too brittle.
Attached picture IMG_1733-s.jpg

Description: After the gable had been cut down.
Attached picture IMG_1737-s.jpg
Apparently this is the 4th or 5th time some kids have tried to set it on fire recently.

I have some more information if anybody wants, PM me.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Church of Christ/Park Christian Centre - FIRE - 2nd Jul 2009 5:18am
How sad that such a fine building has fallen to some scumbag scrotes and a box of matches. The quality workmanship that went into these buildings is/was amazing. The end roof trusses were a fine example.

Doesn't anybody see the immature dregs of society hanging around BEFORE they have their laughs ??

Saturday update

Attached picture 3686948521_14c5479a57_b.jpg
Attached picture 3686949979_bd218f577a_b.jpg
Attached picture 3686951261_a582bfcc1c_b.jpg

Attached picture 3687754204_8ce2824a44_b.jpg
Attached picture 3686954419_34381bc3f2_b.jpg
Attached picture 3687757426_eb1f420677_b.jpg

saturday 4th July

Attached picture 3687759086_4953b69ca9_b.jpg
RRR dam I wish I knew it was empty frown

Sad why why why people BURN frown
Shame.. they should just pull the rest down otherwise it'l get vandalised further.. No need to keep it as it hasnt been used for years..
Everthing had been vandalised before the fire, there was a fantastic marble pulpit (you can see it on the 4th picture in this topic) that had basically been beaten to death! There is nothing left, it will be demolished at some time.
I for one am glad this building is going to be demolished now. I lived at 1 Merton from 1986 to 2008 and it was the bain of my life. When I first moved in it was still used as a church. But after the minister went back to America it went into a state of repair. Kids broke in all the time. There were fires so we were always calling police and fire brigade out. Someone bought it and was turning it into houses and flats. At last I thought. But he only did some of the work and cleared off and left the site an eyesore. It was dangerous with slates falling off the roof and the gutter hung unsafe from the tower.After many phone calls to the council they slapped an order on it to tell the owner to get it cleared up but he never did. So the council cleared it and sent him the bill. The cheeky so and so told the council it was not cleared properly. We tried to sell our house and no one was interested because of that church. In the end out of desperation to get away from it we sold it to someone who was going to rent. But we lost a lot of money on it.
Whats the info you have on the church? I used to live next door to it at 1 Merton until last year. I have my suspicions
Posted By: purfek Re: Church of Christ/Park Christian Centre - FIRE - 11th Oct 2009 10:35pm

the fire at its height
link here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahyde1/3664107069/in/photostream/

Attached picture 3664107069_e41ef96b5a.jpg
Good find Purfek - thanks
Anyone know who now owns this church?
Hello, how do I view the attached files please
Originally Posted by Gazwald55
Hello, how do I view the attached files please

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/subscriptions.html
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Apparently this is the 4th or 5th time some kids have tried to set it on fire recently.

I have some more information if anybody wants, PM me.

Originally Posted by PoohBear
Whats the info you have on the church? I used to live next door to it at 1 Merton until last year. I have my suspicions

Hi!
I know this is a bit of an old thread. . .
I'm looking for any/all pics and info on the church. I'd love to buy it and restore the facade and put a tiny home on its grounds to live in. I have doubts the owner would sell (an architect firm enquired in 2011 and he didn't sell) so the more info I have the more likely I'd be able to make it work.
Any and all info/pics welcome smile
Good luck Millie, I hope you get that chance.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral