Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 6:22pm
I spotted that this supposedly destroyed gunsite still exists so went along to photograph it today.

The site is heavily overgrown at the moment with nettles, brambles, thistles, gorse, hawthorn and even some grass. The nettles are 4 feet deep in places, there are rushes indicating boggy areas and loads of mole hills hidden beneath the grass - not a very friendly place at the moment, took me a number of attempts to find a route to the gunsite, despite being able to see it from Fender Lane.

I'll do a few posts
First (this one) - maps and building bases
Second - western Gunsite
Third - building between gunsites
Fourth - Eastern gunsite.

The gunsite was numbered "mersey J/H31" and was recorded as disused in 1942, I suspect that it got partly destroyed by a bomb! The Defence of Britain database thinks the site is "Destroyed", however, as you will see, although not perfect, there is a lot of the structure still there.

The perimeter walls of both gunsites are pretty intact, though not visible (see the Puddington HAA site thread for a picture of what they look like)

This is an unusual gundite because it only has two guns, there is no record what size guns where here, but I guess 3.5 inch (mixing decimal and inches is purely to get a response from Pinz!)

The first aerial is 1972 before Fender Lane is built, most of the additional buildings are visible on it. The path starts from School Lane, and is now cut in half by Fender Lane. The southern half of the gunsite path is exactly where the footpath leads from School Lane to Fender Lane today. The two gunsites are at the top left of the site, the building between the two gun placements is almost invisible but is connected to one of the small white blobs.

Second aerial show 1997, after Fender Lane is built, the building between gunsites is visble, but the gunsites look almost gone, this is because they were very overgrown.

Description: Bidston HAA Gunsite 1972
Attached picture BidstonHAA1972.jpg

Description: Bidston HAA Gunsite 1997
Attached picture BidstonHAA1997.jpg

Description: Western Gun Placement viewed from Fender Lane - with a bit of zoom
Attached picture IMG_1088s.JPG

Description: Eastern Gun Placement viewed from Fender Lane
Attached picture IMG_1087s.JPG

Description: The building bases just by Fender Lane
Attached picture IMG_1086s.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 6:30pm
The western gun placement, this is very overgrown and most of the shell lockers are missing, I think this had a bit of a hit from a bomb, draw your own conclusions by comparing it to the other eastern gunsite. I notice the big hinges on the opening to the placement, I didn't notice those at Puddington.

Most of this placement was so overgrown photographs were useless.

Description: Near one of the entrances looking from the outside
Attached picture IMG_1091s.JPG

Description: Brickwork
Attached picture IMG_1092s.JPG

Description: First shell locker, the only fully intact one at this placement - no sign of racking
Attached picture IMG_1093s.JPG

Description: Hinged entrance
Attached picture IMG_1094s.JPG

Description: Looking from inside the gunplacement
Attached picture IMG_1095s.JPG

Description: Another locker, fairly intact but overgrown
Attached picture IMG_1096s.JPG

Description: There was a locker here at one time!
Attached picture IMG_1097s.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 6:40pm
The building between the gun placements, it took me a long time to find a way to get to this, very overgrown so I didn't go inside in case there is still something there (hole in ground, shells - whatever - I did have a nail penetrate my shoe and foot getting to this one), it looked like it was very secure at one time. Took me a long time to find a route there but sorted it after a while.

Beside this building is a funny structure, don't know what it is, this site needs a winter visit, bit dodgy going round with an 18 inch machette in summer!

Description: First view of building
Attached picture IMG_1098s.JPG

Description: First view of funny thing beside it.
Attached picture IMG_1099s.JPG

Description: Funny thing beside building
Attached picture IMG_1100s.JPG

Description: Building, getting nearer
Attached picture IMG_1101s.JPG

Description: And nearer, that grass is also nettles and brambles!
Attached picture IMG_1102s.JPG

Description: Funny thing from other side
Attached picture IMG_1123s.JPG

Description: On top of building at last - praying I don't fall in the nettles.
Attached picture IMG_1125s.JPG

Description: Can't see anything through undergrowth
Attached picture IMG_1126s.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 6:47pm
The eastern gun placement, although very worn, much of this is still in place - no gun though.

This is last post. ta!

Description: While getting to the building, I suddenly found I was beside the eastern gun placement
Attached picture IMG_1103s.JPG

Description: Looking inside to NE side
Attached picture IMG_1105s.JPG

Description: SW side isn't so good, but mostly there, overgrowth doesn't help
Attached picture IMG_1106s.JPG

Description: The middle of gun placement
Attached picture IMG_1108s.JPG

Description: With this
Attached picture IMG_1111s.JPG

Description: Hinged entrance
Attached picture IMG_1110s.JPG

Description: Looking through from NW corner showing how close to Fender Lane
Attached picture IMG_1117s.JPG

Description: Shell Lockers
Attached picture IMG_1115s.JPG

Description: Shell Lockers
Attached picture IMG_1119s.JPG

Description: Looking at Eastern Gun Placement from top of building
Attached picture IMG_1127s.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 7:30pm
Excellent work again DD.
Posted By: buddy Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 7:59pm
Excellent DD - very interesting - thanks
Posted By: scoops Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 8:51pm
Fascinating work DD.
A quick look on windows live maps found this interesting view.

Description: Looking south
Attached picture lookingsouth.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 8:59pm
Yeah, good one scoops, it is far too overgrown at the moment to get in most of the areas, but you've tempted me now. Might get my protective gear on and give it a go at the weekend, too hot to wear at the moment. There are bramble walls in that place, about 8 feet high, after battling through the nettles you reach a dead end and have to blaze another path - if only I could use a machette, or even a baseball bat would do - but can't risk either these days, kung foo gets a bit tiring.
Posted By: scoops Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 9:01pm
Sounds like my back garden wink
Give it a few weeks and I'm sure some lowlife scrote will set a brush fire.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 9:12pm
Seeming as I made a trail today and it goes pretty near those, anyone fancy having a go tommorow night at about 6:30?
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 4th Jun 2009 10:27pm
Excellent happy

Thanks for the time and effort into this one wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 5th Jun 2009 8:54am
Well done, DD; there's much more here than at Storeton, for instance. With regard to the funny structure, is it possibly some sort of gun-laying radar?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 5th Jun 2009 3:15pm
Funny thing looks more like part of a hoist or winch to me because of the heavy duty eyelets (what is the proper name - U cla mps or summit), I couldn't see much when I was by it, partly because my eyes were still watering from having a nail through my foot - that saves another tetanus trip.

Had a quick detour to Ince gunsite today, that is equally overgrown, very similar weeds etc. There isn't much left there but I was just curious.

I keep on forgetting to look for the motor shed on these sites, looked on 1970 aerial for any sign of the radar ramps, but nothing, this site might not of still been operational when the radar came in.

Errata - I meant 3.7" gun above not the tidely metric 3.5"

I will blow up the hi-res pictures after and see what it looks like. Can't go back to Bidston tonight, just had rain, would need a wet suit to get through that stuff.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 6th Jun 2009 2:38pm
excellent work, I'd never spotted this one myself, never fancied the undergrowth - buy some secateurs !
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 6th Jun 2009 2:51pm
smile brill work thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 7th Jun 2009 1:18pm
DD Youv been busy. Nice one.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 7th Jun 2009 6:02pm
One more addition ... Here is a 1953 map that carefully leaves out the two gun positions but has all the other buildings from the site. The site may have been used by REME, which would account for the quantity of buildings.

Attached picture MapBidstonHAA1953.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 7th Jun 2009 6:38pm
Looking at that map it certainly looks like it might be Bidston camp which was the home of the REME after the HAA was removed. Your pic described as (funny thing beside building) gives me the impression that is a shackle on an A frame set up. Possibly used by REME for lifting.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 7th Jun 2009 8:26pm
Good theory Bert, but that frame is in the gun placement area which isn't near the buildings on the 1953 map.

Thanks for the word "Shackle" - been searching for that one!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 8th Jun 2009 11:54am
nice one DD, great work bud. thumbsup
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 9th Jun 2009 10:42pm
Originally Posted by scoops
Fascinating work DD.
A quick look on windows live maps found this interesting view.
Me and Robbo did a good search for these tonight. No luck, I am sure they are still there, the undergrowth is too dense and so you just can't see anything even if you are standing on it. I was standing on top of a couple of one or two brick height structures which may have been them. Frustrating!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 9th Jun 2009 10:58pm
good work anyway guys!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 12th Jun 2009 1:14am
some of my pix smile

Attached picture DSC00593_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00594_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00599_360x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00600_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00601_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00602_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00603_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00605_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSC00583_640x480.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 12th Jun 2009 6:37am
Good picies mate - can't wait for Winter - this needs a second look without all the plants.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 12th Jun 2009 2:06pm
Nice pics -It has deteriorated more so than most that I have seen - poor foundations I guess where it is.

To be discovered - what is over the fence !
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 12th Jun 2009 7:46pm
Thats what i want to know it looks like it was a no go area

more pix of the no go area

Attached picture 11.jpg
Attached picture 22.jpg
Attached picture 33.jpg
Attached picture 44.jpg
Attached picture 55.jpg
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 10th Sep 2010 12:29am
Just come across this,

Bidston Army Camp, clicky

Attached picture Bidston_Sports_3.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 10th Sep 2010 4:15am
excellent find Kimpri
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 10th Sep 2010 6:42am
NICE FIND JOE thumbsup
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 9th Oct 2010 12:20am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
One more addition ... Here is a 1953 map that carefully leaves out the two gun positions but has all the other buildings from the site. The site may have been used by REME, which would account for the quantity of buildings.
DD, this any help,

HANSARD 1803–2005 → 1910s → 1918 → November 1918 → 18 November 1918 → Written Answers (Commons) → DEMOBILISATION.
BIDSTON CAMP.
HC Deb 18 November 1918 vol 110 cc3211-2W 3211W

§ Mr. LESLIE SCOTT

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether he is 3212W aware that until recently there was a very well-built and equipped camp accommodating about 1,400 men, all the huts being on concrete blocks, on the west side of Bidston Hill, near Birkenhead; that this camp was recently dismantled and taken up, including the concrete foundations, and the equipment removed; that the military authorities have now again requisitioned the site for use as a camp for German prisoners of war and are now engaged in rebuilding it, and whether he will give full particulars of the causes of this waste of public money and see that those responsible are held to blame?

§ Mr. MACPHERSON

Owing to the difficulty in obtaining supplies of new hutting it became necessary in August last to transfer some of the sectional hutting at Bidston to provide accommodation for American troops. Recently, at the urgent request of the National Union of Railway-men, it was decided to give up the occupation of the convalescent home at Leasowe Castle belonging to the union. To enable this to be done it was necessary to transfer a number of German prisoners of war, and as there was no other accommodation available for them, it was considered that the most economical arrangement was to use what was left of Bidston Camp and provide additional accommodation required by the erection of some hutting which was available.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 9th Oct 2010 12:29am
That was a different camp - the Hansard is for 1918, the gunsite was WW2. I will look into it, must be on the maps somewhere.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 2nd Nov 2010 5:31pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
That was a different camp - the Hansard is for 1918, the gunsite was WW2. I will look into it, must be on the maps somewhere.
DD, Did you find anything on this. smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 2nd Nov 2010 6:16pm
No blush
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 19th Aug 2020 4:58pm
I love reading old threads and the link to the site Kimpri posted doesn't work now which is frustrating when reading through these old threads.
Just found this about the Bidston camp which is probably the same page that Kimpri posted but is now a different URL, so thought I'd repost it for anyone else reading old threads. wink
http://www.wirralhistory.uk/army.html
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bidston HAA Gunsite - 23rd Aug 2020 11:11pm
Thanks mikeeb. People used to say, once its on the internet, its there forever. I disagree. I have seen loads of stuff disappear off it, probably forever.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral