Forums
Posted By: Historybook Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 25th May 2009 2:43pm
Thought this may be of interest to users of this forum.
The picture shows what i am sure is some old cottages in Ness, the pic was in with some old holiday snaps that my late father took, going by the rest of the pics i would think it dates from 1950-53 give or take a couple of years, anyone know when the buildings where knocked down ?.

Attached picture 00005624.jpg
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 25th May 2009 5:57pm
Nice pic mate, dont recognise the cottages tho.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 26th May 2009 3:42pm
The cottages were knocked down when the council house cul de sac was built i think in the early sixties.You can see mealors yard on the right of the picture which is still there but not for much longer as it now has planning permission for houses on there
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 26th May 2009 4:11pm
Good spot nestonlad - I had that as "Wea" not "Mea"

Are the cottages where Smithy Close is these days? It is interestng that Mealors has gone from ploughs to lawn mowers, I think my garden would benefit from a plough more than a mower.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 27th May 2009 8:29am
Yes smithy close thats the place.I used to love going up to mealors with my grandad as a kid when he was taking the mower to have the blades sharpened,nowadays mowers are usually bright orange bits of tat with a bit of plastic whizzing around underneath that lasts 5 minutes
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 27th May 2009 9:12am
I think this is a picture of my dad using a proper mower at his uncle humphreys in bull hill little neston about 1951

Attached picture Alun in G uncle humphreys garden about 1951.jpg
Posted By: kiwiconvert Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 30th Jun 2014 5:28am
I remember these cottages well. The Fenny family lived in the end house on the left. The water tap was outside their house. I lived in Ness for six years at Sunset Cottages.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 30th Jun 2014 6:56am
There appears to have been some confusion during the 1911 census as to what these cottages were called, one or two of the tenants must have thought they were living in Mealors Cottages and entered them as so in the address box, only to have a line drawn through it by the enumerator and replaced by Smithy Cottages.
Posted By: nestonlad Re: Picture of old cottages in Ness. - 30th Jun 2014 2:31pm
Here's one from 1939 looking the other way

Attached picture Ness village 1939.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral