Forums
Posted By: DanLongman Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 3:44pm
We all talk about how things have changed and places perhaps don't look as pretty as they once were. Are there any modern or even old eyesores on the Wirral that you think should never been built?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 4:48pm
The whole of Seacombe! lol

...just kidding!
I've never particlary liked the Cherry Tree Centre myself. Just seem wrong smile
That orange treasury(?) building in Birkenhead, seemed to be the lead to build anything, never mind how it looks.

Anything residential higher than 5 stories, this includes/included Mersey Park flats, Woodchurch, Ford, Oak & Eldon etc.
The Inland Revenue building is appalling, opposite the Cheshire Lines.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 6:20pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
The whole of Seacombe! lol

...just kidding!
nothing here to knock down!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 7:17pm
the new apartments built near liverpool one and SaltHouse dock.

they look horrid and you can have one *From £99.000!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 9:32pm
the north end, all of it. {where is that tin hat} the grenades are on there way over.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 10:32pm
laugh lol
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 16th Mar 2009 11:24pm
Funny enough i want the pyramids shopping centre to be demoslished it just doesnt look right and i hate it..
Posted By: Shambo Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 12:07am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Funny enough i want the pyramids shopping centre to be demoslished it just doesnt look right and i hate it..

Not controversial enough. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me but I think they should pull down SS Peter & Paul's now defunct church in New Brighton asap. It's one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. The parishoners have moved to All Saints church nearby, (and are in negotiations to buy it), whilst the old church adds dereliction to it's base ugliness. Why it was given a Grade II listing is beyond me, it's a ginormous 1930's brick eyesore.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 12:12am
I dont care if its controversial enough i hate the site of it and it just doesnt go with how birkenhead used to look its modern and its stupid and why its called the pyramids is beyond me.. Ohhh the windows is that it ?? come on get some balls and call it The Grange Road Mall or something and not something that it isnt..
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 12:35am
I dont care if its controversial enough i hate the site of it and it just doesnt go with how birkenhead used to look its modern and its stupid and why its called the pyramids is beyond me.. Ohhh the windows is that it ?? come on get some balls and call it The Grange Road Mall or something and not something that it isnt..

Apparently, whilst it was under construction the frame resembled pyramids and the name sort of stuck.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 1:46am
Originally Posted by Shambo

Not controversial enough. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me but I think they should pull down SS Peter & Paul's now defunct church in New Brighton asap. It's one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. The parishoners have moved to All Saints church nearby, (and are in negotiations to buy it), whilst the old church adds dereliction to it's base ugliness. Why it was given a Grade II listing is beyond me, it's a ginormous 1930's brick eyesore.

Noooooooooo UE 1st, lol laugh
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 12:22pm
St John's Market in Liverpool is so tacky, inside and out. Not like I remember it

Description: St Johns
Attached picture A photograph of St. John's Market taken from the corner of Great Charlotte Street 1904.jpg
Posted By: marilyn Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 17th Mar 2009 5:54pm
blimey dan thought you were too young to remember the old st johns and tacky as a description is being too kind it went on fire in the 80s and even the firemen where hoping it couldnt be saved a friend of ours was with them taking pictures for the museum he said everyone watching was shouting let it burn
Too young in birth but I'm old in spirit (how spooky) cry
Posted By: angie Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 18th Mar 2009 8:17am
St Benedicts high school formerly Noctorum high school it looks a state just a burnt out shell and all that land going to waste .I did hear an irish company that owned it had been served with a number of orders from the council to demolish it but this has dragged on for years.
I never realised the old st john's market was such a nice building - when did it get demolished? Was there a fire or something?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 18th Mar 2009 8:53am
Tranmere rovers football ground is not very pleasing to the eye, at least modern day grounds are built a little bit better to look at. The mistake they made with the main stand, they built it facing the pitch.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 18th Mar 2009 11:14am
Originally Posted by bert1
The mistake they made with the main stand, they built it facing the pitch.

Oh, how I sympathise with that, Bert. When I was at Well Lane school I usually won any prizes going (smartarse). The prize was often a ticket to the stand at the Rovers. I've never enjoyed football since.
I would like to see the council buildings demolished.
Cough* 'with the councillors inside' cough*
the bloody big flats at the top of my road(marquis street tranmere),like to see them knocked down and they aint even finished building them yet.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 18th Mar 2009 9:27pm
All the flats that have recently been built in Spital...turning my lovely small Hamlett into a busy bustling, traffic ridden area.

There wasnt demand for them, but they still built them for gods sake somad
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 18th Mar 2009 10:31pm
You live in a cigar?
The eyesores in the middle of the Sandbrook estate, preferably with some of the thieves and needle-users in there. Harsh? Perhaps. Bothered? Not really laugh
Posted By: DavidB Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 20th Mar 2009 3:40pm
Anything made of red brick. It's cheap stuff and sh*t. Especially when they build it next to ancient stuff, like in Chester.

Most of the new Liverpool buildings. You'd think they'd make them similar seeing as they were all built at the same time. They all look too different.
The red and sand coloured monstrocity that has popped up where The Great Western was on Park Rd South - what a carbuncle!!!
Originally Posted by angie
St Benedicts high school formerly Noctorum high school it looks a state just a burnt out shell and all that land going to waste .I did hear an irish company that owned it had been served with a number of orders from the council to demolish it but this has dragged on for years.

St Benedicts is now being demolished. I think they only started this week.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2009 9:47am
The 'Orange Pagoda' ?

Done
Demolished about 8 years ago....!
Posted By: bigpete Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2009 9:48am
The North and South Annexes either side of Wallasey Town Hall - hideous!
Posted By: bigpete Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2009 9:49am
I see that Felton's who build that new office block in Grange Road East - have gone bust - pity they did'nt manage it before they built that block !.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2009 9:53am
Manor road police station, too out of place by far to the surrounding areas!
Originally Posted by Summer01
the telephone exchange on rock lane west, rock ferry just a boring square building with a flat roof. They knocked down a big mansion to build that eyesore.

Wirral University Teaching Hospital
seacombe high rise flats , the mersey courts , and ferryside the road next to it.
The New Brighton clown... I know it's not a building but what a waste of money...
Originally Posted by polo_phil
The New Brighton clown... I know it's not a building but what a waste of money...
Hell yes!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 4th Aug 2009 8:04am
All lamb bananas on that note!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 4th Aug 2009 8:57pm
Keep the clown and next time we all go to vote perhaps we will rember to vote out the real live clowns we have running the council
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 4th Aug 2009 11:00pm
Originally Posted by ScottVernon55
seacombe high rise flats , the mersey courts

Your wish is coming true. There are plans to demolish it.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 4th Aug 2009 11:23pm
Originally Posted by summer01
the telephone exchange on rock lane west ,rock ferry just a boring square building with a flat roof. they knocked down a big mansion to build that eyesore

It's strange, but I love that building, the shape just appeals to me - I think it's because it looks so dormant, I don't think I've ever seen a person come out or in there. Do you know what year it was built?

They seriously need to demolish most of Birkenhead town centre - it's outdated and needs to be updated. Most of the the buildings are delapidated.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 8:55am
The half built house on the corner of Gerald Road and Shrewsbury Road. Been there about a year now and looks like the builders have up and left.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 9:10am
Originally Posted by ghostly1
The half built house on the corner of Gerald Road and Shrewsbury Road. Been there about a year now and looks like the builders have up and left.

Its one guy doing it by himself every Saturday lol

Well, thats what it looked like every time I passed it throuh the winter
There was a house there originally - a bungalow I think? My dad had a patient there at one time. That was a new-build, so must have been an old Victorian property there before that. Not sure what was wrong with the new-build that they had to pull it down and start again. think
Posted By: bert1 Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 9:43am
That bungalow on that corner always had its wall bashed in, no sooner would they repair it someone else would fly through it. Haven't looked for a while but isn't there going to be apartments on that site which would explain them knocking down the bungalow.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 10:46am
I'm not sure there was anything there before the bungalow. From this map of about 1882, it's clear that Gerald Rd. has been re-aligned. On this map, there is a kink at Wellington Rd. & Gerald Rd.(not named on this map), continues as Well Lane, but meets Shrewsbury Rd. a bit further North than the present Gerald Rd. Looking at Live Search (now Bing) the houses on the North side of Gerald Rd. between Wellington & Shrewsbury Rds. look about 1930's & are on the line of the old Well Lane.
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...phscl=1&scene=29155532&encType=1

Attached picture gerald.jpg
Interesting - looking on the maps there was nothing there during Victorian era. The bit of Gerald Road that runs from Shrewsbury Rd to Wellington Rd, was known as Well Lane. The plot of land was owned by the Earl of Shrewsbury and occupied by a William Potter. No land use is given.

It isn't until 1910 map that a property appears on that corner. It was quite a big property judging from the 1970s aerial map, which faced onto Gerald Road.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 3:35pm
Yes, comparing the maps, it appears that between 1875 & 1910, Gerald Rd. was re-aligned (the junction between Shrewsbury & Gerald Rds. is quite different) & houses were built on what was previously Well Lane. For those who don't know what maps we mean, here's a link; a very useful site.
http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx
Should this be a thread in itself? raftl
I'd love to do a thread on the houses of Shrewsbury Road. My paternal Great-Nan was in service in a house just opposite Birkenhead Boys' School. I found her on the Census.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 5th Aug 2009 3:41pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
I'd love to do a thread on the houses of Shrewsbury Road. My paternal Great-Nan was in service in a house just opposite Birkenhead Boys' School. I found her on the Census.

Start one.
I may do bert - but haven't got much info to go on at the moment.
The entire Liscard precinct. In fact everytihing within the Wallasey Road/Liscard way/Mill Lane/St Albans Road "circle".
Nags Head Seaview Road.
Manor Road Police Station.
Mosslands school.
St Marys school.
Leasowe.
Moreton.
How long have you got?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2010 2:33pm
Originally Posted by Teutonicus
The entire Liscard precinct. In fact everytihing within the Wallasey Road/Liscard way/Mill Lane/St Albans Road "circle".
Nags Head Seaview Road.
Manor Road Police Station.
Mosslands school.
St Marys school.
Leasowe.
Moreton.
How long have you got?

So...basically...the whole of Wallasey!! raftl

By the way, Nags Head is on Rake Lane. smile

Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Buildings you would like to see demolished - 7th May 2010 9:53pm
[Linked Image]
agree with that rhoobarb, has to be one of the ugliest buildings in the region!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral