Forums
Posted By: Jamie_LFC The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 6:03pm
Does anyone know what used to be on new ferry shore?
Theres loads of bricks and building "Foundations" I guess you could call them.

Thanks In Advance
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 6:39pm
There was a brickworks with a tramway in 19th century, it was also a landfill site.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 6:49pm
No the landfills further along the shore than where am talken about a supose i should get a screen shot from google earth smile

I agree with the first bit though but i also believe there was a war time "Hospital" There

Might take some research to varify it though laugh
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 6:51pm
That's the new landfill, New Ferry also has a historic landfill site, I think that is part of shorefields, probably where the clay was dug up for the brickworks.

Description: 1910 New Ferry Brickworks
Attached picture Map-NewFerry-Brickworks1910.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 7:00pm
This is where I mean

Your maps quite old so Heres a newwer one for the sake of a Before And After sort of shot

Description: Screenshot taken from Google Earth
Attached picture New Ferry Shore.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 7:02pm
I see what you mean now

My Idea is that the pits where left open from the brickworks clay collecting and then filled in as part of the landfill
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 7:03pm
No - cancel that - the playing fields behind the sewage works is the brick works, and so that is possibly the old landfill.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 5th Mar 2009 7:05pm
I used to play football on the Field behind the sewage works and the one shown on my earlier uploaded image
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 5:30pm
I've searched high and low for some more info but no where has any.Its like the governments hiding something...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 5:42pm
Ok, looking at old maps, the shoreline hasn't been significantly changed suddenly at any point, so this is not reclaimed land like I always thought it was.

Another option is that the council just dumped a load of hardcore on the shoreline to reduce the erosion, which is a significant problem there. This is an exceptionally poor solution. I think new ferry suffers from undercutting, where the base eroded and the land about 20ft back from the edge tries to slip down and under the front edge.

There seems to be loads of documents mentioning erosion management and including new ferry as one area of action, but all the details refer to other areas and ignore new ferry.

I'll get a bigger spade out after and see what I can dig up.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 7:20pm
Thanks man smile

Every time I find something out someone tells me other wise quite confused at the moment.
Posted By: hoseman Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 7:34pm
We all get confused on here at times mate!!
We have a good team of "regulars" who you can ask for certain info, people who are good at locating history, maps, railways, law, cars, medical etc. You will get used to who to ask!
My speciallity is fooking it all up to keep them on their toes!!! raftl
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 7:42pm
Sounds like me laugh
Posted By: jimbob Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 9:29pm
There is no mistery about the area of shore line at the clay hills. Was always the clay hills back in the 1940s. so no secrete weapons or tunnels. just a load of rubble dumped over the last 60years
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 9:33pm
Damm I was thinking military hospital=Secret Tunnels but frown
Posted By: pacef8 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 9:48pm
but im sure there was a hospital down that way, as it or some tunnels where bricked up by the council/ fire brigade many years ago.

A wartime medical centre all the way to aigburth. maybe !!
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 10:37pm
Thats what Im talking about need to attract some attention to this Topic I supose.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 10:55pm
You are quite right, there was a hospital beside where New Ferry Baths were (and they were just north of the sewer works).

"Port Sanitary Hospital, New Ferry"

Here are the hospital and the baths, note the old smaller sewage works in 1970.

Description: New Ferry Port Sanitory Hospital 1910c
Attached picture NewFerryPortSanitoryHospital1910.jpg

Description: New Ferry Baths 1970c
Attached picture NewFerryBaths1970.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 10:57pm
Thanks for that What i am going to do is post a new Screen shot with a marker for the Baths on there aswell smile
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:04pm
Heres that screenshot i mentioned.Obviously you know new ferry baths is gone but I marked it on so the older maps look easier to interpret as the quite confusing to a person of my IQ.

Description: New Ferry Shoreline Now
Attached picture New Ferry Shore.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:05pm
Oh and I may sound stupid but can I ask what Sanitory means? Is that something to do with cleanliness or Crazyness?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:16pm
one would assume that the port sanitary hospital was for treating those who were onboard a ship with infectious disease (TB, smallpox etc) who were being quarantined when they got off.

Read...
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:20pm
Thanks laugh I can see it now.Pirates with green faces lieing in hospital beds.Or have I gone back to far? laugh
Posted By: yoller Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:25pm
Judging by its name, could the Port Sanitary Hospital have been used as an isolation hospital for people suffering from infectious diseases who arrived in the Mersey on ships? I think most seaports had such hospitals.
This is almost certainly the same place that years later was definitely used as an isolation hospital for ordinary patients from the surrounding area. I remember it as a green wooden building in open ground behind the baths and I'm sure people were taken there during a smallpox outbreak in New Ferry in the Sixties. In the Seventies, the hospital (which was by then disused) was deliberately destroyed by being burned down to get rid of any possible lingering infection.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:32pm
but where no where near the war bunker hospital and chambers.

come on people knock your granny up and demand answers.
we want answers.
bricks tunnels the war remember nan gran !!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:43pm
Hospital built after 1875 and before 1884 because it didn't appear on the 1875 map (that area was called greenbank, don't know if it was a house or area) and in 1884 the CLARENCE REFORMATORY SCHOOL SHIP had a fire and the kids were temporarily housed in the hospital from January 'til July when they needed the hospital for a Cholera outbreak.

@yoller, yes effectively an isolation hospital, and all the other things you say rings bells as well, thankyou.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:44pm
Exactly Im gonna head down to the Central tommorow find some books on the area some maps maybe. That cliff seems like the perfect spot for a shelter/Tunnel.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: The New Ferry Shore - 6th Mar 2009 11:54pm
so wghat are you saying there are tunnels there

Originally Posted by Jamie_LFC
Exactly Im gonna head down to the Central tommorow find some books on the area some maps maybe. That cliff seems like the perfect spot for a shelter/Tunnel.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 12:06am
Ime not saying there are but if anyone can varify and state facts then I will be happy to admit that there is or there isnt.
But I hope there is.I now believe that there was a "Isolation Hospital" Down there at sometime during the war.And for the sake of getting patience out of danger during bombing raids the cliff next to it would be a perfect spot.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 12:14am
Ok Heres a pic showing the actual shore now its taken from down stream but i have showed where the picture is actually taken from.

Description: Picture of the shore now taken from the Esplanade
Attached picture New Ferry Esplanade.jpg

Description: And heres a Earth of the Shore and the spot where the picture was taken from :)
Attached picture New Ferry Shore With Esplanade.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 1:03am
Ah Ha Where all wrong.During the year 1910 both the Brick works and the sanitary hospital still stood.The brick works stood on the shore,went across the sewage plant and onto the playying fields behind the plant and the Port Sanitary Hospital stood on whats now the Housing Estate.But that doesnt make sense as the 2nd world war didnt start for another 29 Years.So could we be looking at what is a map dating from the 1st world war? And No again that didnt start for another 4 Years.
I wish I had a map dating from anytime during the first world war. Did the building stand for that 29 years and still service during the bombing raids on Merseyside between 1939 And 1942? But even then the facts dont add up.
As you can tell the maps I have acess to arent the best you will ever see.

Description: New Ferry 1910
Attached picture New Ferry 1910.jpg

Description: New Ferry Modern
Attached picture New Ferry Modern.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 1:06am
I must say thank to diggingDeeper as he actually put the first of them pics on yesterday but didnt know that was what we where talking about,Sorry Digging. laugh
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 1:31am
Look what I found...

Originally Posted by Merseygateway.org
Special health regulations were needed in ports such as Liverpool because major infectious diseases could be brought into a country by ship. Ships which were found to have evidence of infectious diseases on board had to be isolated to prevent the spread of disease. This enforced isolation is known as quarantine, a word which comes from the Italian phrase for isolating incoming ships for a period of forty days: the quarantine.

Notice about vessels from Dublin being put under quarantine because of cholera outbreaks in 1832

To begin with quarantine regulations were enforced in Liverpool through the port’s Customs Officers. Later special the port health authority appointed its own staff to carry out this work. The Public Health Act of 1872 authorised the appointment of Port Sanitary Authorities and in 1874 Liverpool City Council took advantage of this act and appointed a full-time port medical officer. A shore quarantine hospital was set up at New Ferry and in 1890 strong powers of detention were given to the Customs Officers and the medical officer.

The 1896 Public Health Act renewed the existing quarantine regulations and gave the medical officer powers independent of the Customs. Liverpool’s quarantine anchorage was established in the Sloyne off Rock Ferry in the 18th century. This caused delay to incoming ships and so a gunboat had to be posted to stop any unauthorised movement of shipping. People suffering from infectious diseases which needed to be quarantined were treated on board four hospital ships which were permanently at anchor in the Sloyne. By the 1950s people suffering from quarantinable infectious diseases were treated at Fazakerley Hospital.

Description: A News Paper Article On the Subject
Attached picture Paper Article.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 1:55am
That's good Jamie, it confirms that the hospital was built pretty soon after 1874.

Here is a map with shaded bits indicating "shore reclamation", I don't know when this was done at New Ferry, first look at OS maps doesn't show any obvious date, will have to have a closer look some other time.

Attached picture WirralReclaimed.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: The New Ferry Shore - 7th Mar 2009 10:33pm
The hospital was knocked down after the 2nd world war, not sure the exact year
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 8th Mar 2009 2:40am
Thats exactly what we where missing,All thats left now is when it was built...To Be Continued laugh
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: The New Ferry Shore - 8th Mar 2009 8:20am
The site of New Ferry baths is not the field. The houses in Scotia Avenue, Samaria Avenue & Starworth Drive are on the old baths site. Grid ref SJ 341 854.
Posted By: SUExx Re: The New Ferry Shore - 8th Mar 2009 9:40am
thats correct, if you look at the maps on page 2 showing new ferry baths on one and then the other showing the housing estate you can follow the out line of the baths,were the estate is now on the map as you look at it on the left are trees, well those trees and grass used to be inside the baths. The hospital was more to the back of the baths and i think the remains of some of the boundry hospital walls are still there.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 6:03pm
Susan if I understood a word of that I would of replied well done or dont think so. But I dont have a clue what you just said.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 6:05pm
Didnt notice that. Have Now though took me a while,Soft me. But nicely noticed smile
Posted By: SUExx Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 7:21pm
thats ok. did have to read it twice myself before posted it,i knew what i meant. it was in reply to another post that had pointed to the field saying that was were the baths was.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 8:51pm
dd: I'm a bit puzzled about "Emblematic" shown on the map. Roughly in the Meols area. What is/was "Emblematic" ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 9:12pm
"Hidden within the embankment that the hovercraft used is a reminder of ships of the past. One stormy night a ship called "Emblematic" was driven ashore. She proved to be too troublesome to remove, and was buried in the embankment. When the embankment was renovated her remains were uncovered, but again buried beneath tons of concrete."
offtopic
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 9:33pm
Map dated 1938 showing New Ferry baths and the Port Sanitary Hospital (Infectious Diseases. Liverpool Corpn.)

Attached picture map 1938.jpg
Posted By: SUExx Re: The New Ferry Shore - 9th Mar 2009 9:55pm
does anyone know the name of the school in the above map dated 1938
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 11:57am
I'm tempted to say its The Dell, cas i went to a school down there, it's gone now though, and i'm probably wrong - i'm not the best person at working maps out lol
Posted By: SUExx Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 12:31pm
the dell is more rock ferry, the school on the map looks like its down new ferry road not far from the now closed great eastern pub.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 5:24pm
There was a "New Ferry School" need to check it in directories, no idea if this was it or not.
Posted By: jimbob Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 10:02pm
Thats the Dell shown on that map. New Ferry School was on the main road, left hand side as you travelled from the toll bar towards the rounderbout at the end of the bye pass, there are houses built on the site of the school now.
The Dell was an infants school and New Ferry School was a secondary modern school. These terms for schools may not be known to you young ones. meaning born after 1970 or so, us old ones 1940s and 50s are familiar with the names.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 10:09pm
Nursery, infants, primary, secondary modern or grammar school, then further education, college or university,
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 10:31pm
Definately not The Dell, that was at the Rock Ferry end of New Ferry Rd.

Wasn't the school on the main road the "New Chester Road School"

Were did "High Schools" fit in, did this just mean secondary school?
Posted By: bert1 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 10:50pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Definately not The Dell, that was at the Rock Ferry end of New Ferry Rd.

Wasn't the school on the main road the "New Chester Road School"

Were did "High Schools" fit in, did this just mean secondary school?

I would say in all probability the Dell school would be in the road called The Dell, Rock Ferry end. Can't say why but Mayfields keeps coming to mind, maybe school.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 10th Mar 2009 10:54pm
I think high school was a grammer school, Didn't you have to pass the 11+ to go to high/grammer school.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 11th Mar 2009 2:44am
Mayfields is the generic name for that area, like Shorefields is for he other end, could well be the school name.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 15th Mar 2009 3:58am
Thats Definetly not the Dell, The Dell closed recently and was located on The Dell suprisingly,but again MayFields springs to mind again.

Like the bit about that ship stuck down below,didn't know about that.
Anyone know anywhere "We" can get some School History?
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 15th Mar 2009 4:04am
Im sorry to go back on ourselves but heres something on "The Port Sanitary" Hospital,

JURISDICTION OF PORT SANITARY AUTHORITY.HL Deb 11 August 1896 vol 44 c476 476
§ The order of the Local Government Board constituting a port sanitary authority shall be deemed to give such authority jurisdiction over all waters within the limits of such port, and also over the whole or such portions of the district within the jurisdiction of any sanitary authority as may be specified in the order.

§ THE EARL OF RANFURLY moved, after Clause 10, to insert the following clause:— The Local Government Board may by order assign to any port sanitary authority any powers, rights, duties, capacities, and obligations under the Infectious Disease Prevention Act, 1890, with the necessary modifications. He said this clause incorporated the English Port Sanitary Bill, passed this Session.

§ Clause read 1a and 2a, and ordered to stand part of the Bill.

§ Clause 30,—
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The New Ferry Shore - 28th Mar 2009 11:57am
Here are some pictures of the Port Sanitary Hospital at New Ferry ...

Description: New Ferry Port Sanitary Hospital
Attached picture NewFerryPortSanitaryHospital-carousel_image_9_1.jpg

Description: Steps leading up to New Ferry Port Sanitary Hospital
Attached picture NewFerryPortSanitarySteps-carousel_image_10_1.jpg

Description: New Ferry Port Sanitary Hospital Staff Houses
Attached picture NewFerryPortSanitaryStaff-carousel_image_11_1.jpg
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: The New Ferry Shore - 1st Apr 2009 3:37pm
Well done on the pics DD, Good Research!.

But lets get back to the point... Wth was on that shore laugh
Posted By: jimbob Re: The New Ferry Shore - 1st Apr 2009 8:29pm
nothing except mud
Posted By: bri445 Re: The New Ferry Shore - 27th Apr 2009 2:49pm
Somewhere along there, behind the Baths, which were still closed in the late'40s after WW2, I can remember the British Leather Co lorries would dump a foul-smelling white chemical slurry into a banked-in pond at the bottom of the cliff. There was nothing to stop us lads falling down into it and being dissolved, bones and all! Health and Safety didn't exist then! I wonder what's built over that lot now!
Bri
© Wirral-Wikiwirral