Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 13th Feb 2009 11:11pm
Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft

[youtube]rnws8bCv4NQ[/youtube]
Posted By: Wheels Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 13th Feb 2009 11:27pm
If that were there now I'd lov e to go on it
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 13th Feb 2009 11:57pm
ye me too mate. would be good to have it back.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 14th Feb 2009 2:37pm
My mum went on its maiden voyage, and was given a boxed commemerative model. Dont know if she still has it, have to have a mooch about!!
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 14th Feb 2009 3:04pm
first hovercraft in the country i believe but i think it went from leasowe moreton shore and not wallasey.

ta

pace
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 14th Feb 2009 4:22pm
Couple of photos

I remember being there on day 1, watching the machine leave.
I have a First Day Cover stamp set for the occasion

My recollection is that the service was actually the first commercial hovercraft service in the world.

Snod

Attached picture thumb_319_Hovercraft_to_Rhyl.jpg
Attached picture thumb_319a_Wall-Rhyl_Hovercraft_at_Rhyl.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 22nd Sep 2011 11:24am
[Linked Image]

Moreton-Rhyl hovercraft. I remember running down to the shore to watch this. It was new technology in its day
Posted By: masterbun Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 25th Sep 2011 9:42am
Clicky for more
Hovercraft
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 25th Sep 2011 11:29am
If my memory serves me correctly, this service was originally supposed to start from the bottom of Stanley Road in Hoylake--Red Rocks but I assume the good residents of Stanley Road objected to the expected increase in traffic!!!
The starting point then being changed to Leasowe embankment.
Posted By: red_devil Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 25th Sep 2011 12:06pm
The hovercraft was always intended to start from hoylake but was moved to the leasowe embankment.

http://www.wirralhistory.net/hovercraft.html
Posted By: Hoverken Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 25th Sep 2011 6:45pm
The YouTube film is a great clip of the 1962 VA3 service but at 0.12 to 0.28 an SR N6 craft is shown at Fort Perch Rock. This was SR N6-022 (GH-2010)in October 1972. The craft was just back from Canada, by ship to Liverpool, and the opportunity to have trials in the area was taken (Hovertravel Ltd). In 1974 the same craft operated from Southport to Blackpool.

British United Airways operated VA3-001 in 1962 and the company chairman at the time was Freddie Laker.

I have only just found this forum and have been interested in hovercraft since 1962 and have a decent collection of philatelic items, postcards, photos etc. of hovercraft around the world.

1962 sees the 50th anniversary of the Rhyl-Wallasey operation which was the first passenger hovercraft service in the world. Surely there must be some sort of commemoration? Wirral Council think not! No surprise there then!!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 25th Sep 2011 7:24pm
Perhaps the people at Fort Perch Rock Museum could be persuaded to hold some kind of commemorative exhibition in 2012?
Posted By: Hoverken Re: Wallasey - Rhyl Hovercraft - 26th Sep 2011 3:48pm
An approach has been made. Watch this space!!
Ken
© Wirral-Wikiwirral