Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 7:34pm
Has anyone got any history about this company? I cant find anything on the internet and i am sure it will be interesting for others to read on this forum.

This link might be of interest for the pub forum and is the only info i can find on Birkenhead Brewers
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:00pm
Im researching it now mate for my website. Not got much about the history but loads of beer mats, labels, bottles etc
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:27pm
There is an old pub near hamilton square station with the Birkenhead Brewery i dunno if its in the Pub list ??? smile
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:29pm
my dad worked for birkenhead brewery years and years ago, mixing whatever needed to be mixed in the big vats. also have a birkenhead brewery bottle opener with some sort of serial number on it. will see if i can get a pic.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:29pm
The pier hotel mate!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:35pm
Ahh it is thanks tc happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:42pm
No probs gang!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 9:57pm

The Birkenhead Brewery started as two familly breweries, the Anchor Brewery in Livingsone Street, which was owned by the Aspinall's and the Argyle Brewery in Oxton Road owned by the Cook's

The breweries amalgameted in 1865 to become 'The Birkenhead Amalgamated Brewery Company Ltd', the name was later shortened to 'The Birkenhead Brewery Co Ltd'.

In 1962 the Brewery merged with Threlfall's Chesters Ltd and was later taken over by Whitbread.

The brewery also owned the Victoria Wine Co, Moorhouses (later to become R Whites) and Royal Assent.

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 10:01pm
nice one!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 5th Feb 2009 10:06pm
Not much but some stuff to start from

"The Birkenhead Brewery was founded in the first half of the nineteenth century, when the brewing business's of two families were combined. These were the ASPINALL's and the COOK's whose separate breweries were situated in Cleveland Street and Oxton Road, Birkenhead. On Aug 29 1865, they amalgamated and formed a limited company under the companies Act of 1862 with the title of The Birkenhead Amalgamated Brewery Co Ltd. This was later changed to The Birkenhead Brewery Co Ltd. It is probably the oldest established joint stock brewery company in existence. In 1948 the company acquired Mackie and Gladstone (Birkenhead and Liverpool) Ltd now called Mackie (B & L ) Ltd wine and spirit merchants and in 1951 the mineral water manufacturing business of Moorhouse Bros Ltd was added to the group of companies."

I also have a lot of information on Moorhouse Bros history mostly from before the Birkenhead Brewery takeover if you should want it.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2009 6:01pm
I have been looking for pictures of the two old breweries, but this is not as easy as it would seem. In two different books, the picture below appears, captioned as the [Argyle] brewery in Oxton Road:

[Linked Image]

However, in another book, the picture below is described as the [Anchor] brewery in Livingstone Street:

[Linked Image]

As this one has a street name attached to the building:

[Linked Image]

I would be fairly confident that this was the Anchor Brewery, so unless the breweries were identical, the other pictures must also be the Anchor Brewery and not as captioned.

Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2009 6:34pm
i thought that the oxton road one was the marriots motorcycle shop building.i know a builder who is working in the cellars in there at the moment,have already asked him if he has found anything of interest but he says not.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2009 7:05pm

I seem to remember that Marriots occupies what were the offices of the Birkemhead Brewery Co, but the brewery itself was on the other side of the road and was demolished many years ago.

Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2009 7:27pm
You're right, uptonc, the actual brewery WAS on the opposite side of the road. When they were brewing, you could smell it from a long way off.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2009 10:21pm
Yes, the brewery was on the corner of Tetbury St. & uphill from there.
Posted By: dingle Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 8th Feb 2009 5:22am
Found this on the net for Defunct Breweries, some photos as well
http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/Merseyside.htm
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 11th Feb 2009 8:48pm
this picture was on the wall going into Wirral Archives

Attached picture Birkenhead Brewery Oxton Road resized.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 11th Feb 2009 10:33pm
wow, nice pic happy
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 13th Feb 2009 8:25pm
a little snippit of interesting info i found out today,as i said in an earlier post a friend of mine is working in the cellar of the marriots building,he tells me that there are tunnels in the basement which go under oxton road to the brewery building(well they used to).he could not get in as they have been bricked up.glynn mariot was there and does not remember ever going in there,but a guy called tony who worked in the brewery does.one would presume that they were filled in to some extent when the brewery came down.
they were big tunnels,big enough to walk through.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 1st Feb 2011 3:30pm
I worked at both . The building with the Walkers advert is The Old English Gents.The main building was demolished and baught by Happy Als, who built a garage on the land when he was starting up about mid sixties. He ended up with the whole block minus the Old English which as you know is O.E.G cafe.
This would make the other street sign Brook Street
Posted By: rainman Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 27th Jun 2013 11:30pm
does anyone know anything regarding porcelain and the Birkenhead brewery company, i have come across some lovely porcelain with the BBC logo stamped on

Attached picture BBC.jpg
Posted By: bigpete Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 9th Jul 2013 2:24pm
Originally Posted by uptoncx

I seem to remember that Marriots occupies what were the offices of the Birkemhead Brewery Co, but the brewery itself was on the other side of the road and was demolished many years ago.

Not that long ago actually, the majority of the buildings were still in use by a vehicle repair/painting company - whose name escapes me - suffice to say had a car repaired there @2003
Posted By: rainman Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 24th Jul 2013 8:20pm
i cant find anything about the items im posting here and was wondering if maybe you found anything whilst researching the birkenhead brewery company ...i have plates coffee pots cups gravy jugs ..etc

Attached picture 20130627_140424.jpg
Attached picture BBC.jpg
Posted By: valli Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 12th Aug 2013 2:44am
Originally Posted by bigpete
Originally Posted by uptoncx

Not that long ago actually, the majority of the buildings were still in use by a vehicle repair/painting company - whose name escapes me - suffice to say had a car repaired there @2003
Vickers was the vehicle repair company
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 6th Feb 2020 11:01pm
The old Birkenhead Brewery offices (now Marriott Motorcycles) in Oxton Road are on fire.
Posted By: Dj_Macca Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 10th May 2020 8:13am
Isn’t there a stream underneath there?
Posted By: drumgarron Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 30th Jul 2020 2:32pm
My grandad's brother worked there in the early 1900's - but, he died after falling down the cellar steps. Anyone know where I might find any employee/employer records for this company (if any), please ?
Posted By: locomotive Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 30th Jul 2020 5:36pm
I can remember being told that The Birkenhead Brewery had its own Well in the brewery, but I can't remember whether it was Oxton Road or Cleveland Street
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Brewery Co. Ltd. - 30th Jul 2020 10:47pm
Originally Posted by locomotive
I can remember being told that The Birkenhead Brewery had its own Well in the brewery, but I can't remember whether it was Oxton Road or Cleveland Street

I would imagine both, the older brewery in Cleveland Street would have chosen the location for a supply of water. The Oxton one pumped from the same aquifer as Springhill waterworks just up the hill which had a number of wells, its not clear if it was pumped from Springhill or had their own well, I'd guess the later.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral