Forums
Posted By: rentaclown100 Old Newspapers - 27th Jan 2009 11:04pm
anyone found any old papers? got one from under a bath the other day. wallasey news from 1976. will scan it in and show tomorrow. one feature is leasowe baths opening and there are lots of classic cars for sale quite cheap. want a tardis for my birthday
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Old Newspapers - 27th Jan 2009 11:10pm
I seen 1 in the archives on Mon which was dated 1895,the Birkenhead news.I don`t know how far back they go.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Old Newspapers - 27th Jan 2009 11:14pm
think this paper was left to be found at some point. also have ancient ciggy packets and a really old tube of shaving cream. will post pics hoping someone might date them (and i dont mean someone taking them out for a meal)
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Old Newspapers - 27th Jan 2009 11:21pm
Lol,yeah will be good to see mate.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Old Newspapers - 28th Jan 2009 12:41pm
When I was putting a pond in the garden a couple of years ago I found old newpapers 'preserved' in the clay from the 50's.
Obviously, they were a bit fragile but you could read what was left of them. There are some in my folk's loft from WW2 era, they were there when they moved in (1987). Loads of hand written school books and text books as well from the same period.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Newspapers - 29th Jan 2009 4:22pm
I remember a competition in the local newspaper where you had to find the "Wirral Squirrel"!!

...and I recall when the free paper wasn't actually...free. It was 10p!
Posted By: sonyj Re: Old Newspapers - 29th Jan 2009 8:28pm
his name was syril the squirreli fink
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Old Newspapers - 29th Jan 2009 8:37pm
dont think the squirrel thing was that long ago was it ??
Posted By: Derby Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 7:55pm
Would there be any photos or articles re fire stations, fires etc from the WW2 papers please.
Thanks, Derby
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 8:06pm
seen a few in the archives about brassey street and laird st mate
will check when i go down there for ya! have some about bidston as well!
Posted By: Derby Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 8:15pm
That would be fabulous, thank you. My grandparents used to live on Brassey Street.

Derby
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 8:33pm
will take a look for ya kid!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 10:24pm
Originally Posted by rentaclown100
think this paper was left to be found at some point. also have ancient ciggy packets and a really old tube of shaving cream. will post pics hoping someone might date them

BUMP!

Get your arse into gear clown!

laugh
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Old Newspapers - 5th Apr 2009 10:42pm
Originally Posted by Derby
Would there be any photos or articles re fire stations, fires etc from the WW2 papers please.
Thanks, Derby

I will have a look for you tmw as I am currently catologuing all the WW11 local papers at the mo for the archives,but bare in mind that the papers where very heavily sensored during this time.Bomb damage and destruction printed in papers would of lowered the moral of the people and the enemy would of most certainly used it against us in a propaganda campaign.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Old Newspapers - 6th Apr 2009 7:45am
Good news for people researching old newspapers - the library website www.wirral-libraries.net has a link button to 19th Century newspapers from the British Library collection. You will need your library borrower number to access the newspapers.
It is searchable by a word (e.g. Liscard) or by a publication (e.g. Liverpool Mercury) or by a specific date or a date range - or by a combination of these. If your searchword is general (e.g. shipwreck) and you have not specified a particular publication, you will get lots of hits including many from distant papers e.g. Glasgow Herald. If your searchword is local (e.g. Greasby) then most of the results will be local papers (mostly Liverpool, occasionally Manchester, rarely Preston) even if you have not specified a particular publication.
It even allows multi-word searches e.g. Leasowe lighthouse.
The only thing you will need is lots of time.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Newspapers - 6th Apr 2009 7:59am
Originally Posted by greasby_lad
Good news for people researching old newspapers - the library website www.wirral-libraries.net has a link button to 19th Century newspapers from the British Library collection. You will need your library borrower number to access the newspapers.
It is searchable by a word (e.g. Liscard) or by a publication (e.g. Liverpool Mercury) or by a specific date or a date range - or by a combination of these. If your searchword is general (e.g. shipwreck) and you have not specified a particular publication, you will get lots of hits including many from distant papers e.g. Glasgow Herald. If your searchword is local (e.g. Greasby) then most of the results will be local papers (mostly Liverpool, occasionally Manchester, rarely Preston) even if you have not specified a particular publication.
It even allows multi-word searches e.g. Leasowe lighthouse.
The only thing you will need is lots of time.

Thanks happy

Does it mean to gain access we need to join the libary if not already a member?
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Old Newspapers - 6th Apr 2009 8:37am
Wirral pays for a licence for access to the British Library 19th century newspaper site for Wirral library users only. Therefore it is necessary to join and get a borrower card.
A lot of the Wirral libraries have excellent local history books - it's well worth being a member.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Old Newspapers - 6th Apr 2009 8:42pm
dont sweat about having to join the library, it free to join. thats if your quick and join before the council see it as another way to save money {make you pay to be a member] good old labour council,
© Wirral-Wikiwirral