Forums
Posted By: Dava2479 Coffers Dam Disaster - 20th Dec 2008 10:09pm
The Birkenhead Dock Disaster was a tragedy that happened when a temporary dam collapsed during construction of the Vittoria Dock in Birkenhead, Wirral Peninsula, England, on March 6, 1909. It left 14 workers (or "navvies") dead and three injured. The disaster led to a huge public outpouring of sympathy and grief in the local area. However, the Government refused to hold a public inquiry and the cause of the disaster was never definitively established. Very little evidence or documentation surrounding the event now exists.

the building of the dam

The £206,000 contract to build a dock on the Vittoria Wharf area of Birkenhead was awarded by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1905 to John Scott of Darlington. Scott was the son of Sir Walter Scott (1826-1910), one of the greatest regional civil engineering contractors of his era, and had recently built an extension to the docks in Middlesbrough. The Vittoria Dock - sited at the northern end of Vittoria Street - was to serve as an accessible, organised berthing facility for vessels, which were increasing in size. Work began in 1905 and was due to be finished by the end of 1909. However, by March 1909 it was nine months ahead of schedule. The whole project was merely a few hours from completion when the disaster occurred.

disaster strikes

Just after midnight on March 6 1909, during a blinding snowstorm, disaster struck. A gang of navvies were working in a 45ft deep pit which formed the entrance channel to the new dock. They were clearing away rubble and timber, which was hauled up to the dockside by a crane which straddled the excavation. The waters of the neighbouring East Float were held back from the entrance channel by a 200ft long temporary coffer dam, formed from pilings rammed with mud and cement, which had been built in 1907. There was only a small amount of work left to do and the whole four-year dock project would be finished by the following evening.

At around 12.20am - just after high tide - the dam collapsed without warning, sending millions of gallons of water and hundreds of tons of timber and mud crashing down on to the men working in the pit. Fourteen were killed, but one survived by being shot to the surface. Two men working on the crane were injured as it collapsed into the flooded pit, one losing a leg. The disaster widowed seven women and left 13 children fatherless. It took a month for divers to recover all the bodies, and the victims were buried in three mass graves in Flaybrick Hill Cemetery, Birkenhead, now known as Flaybrick Memorial Gardens.

At the ensuing inquest, John Scott's chief engineer claimed that the disaster was probably caused when the base of the coffer dam shifted after pilings from the old dock wall were removed, and this event could not have been foreseen. However, this explanation was never independently tested or verified. One man - John Jones, the operator of the piledriving machine used to build the dam - bravely spoke out at the inquest, claiming there had been shoddy workmanship and rotten building materials had been used on the project. But his evidence was disregarded and the jury, heavily influenced by the coroner's summing-up, returned a verdict was that no one was to blame. The Vittoria Dock opened for business four months after the disaster and is still in operation today.

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 20th Dec 2008 10:27pm
Postcard that was sold to raise funds following the disaster

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 20th Dec 2008 10:36pm
Nice 1 uptonx.Great find.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 8:01am
Damburst, The Birkenhead Dock Disaster, 1909

Attached picture damburst.jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 8:13am
Good stuff Bert.
flicked through this book a few months back but was unsure which dock it was. Cheers mate thumbsup
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 10:52am
I don`t have this book,I`m going to try and me my hands on a copy.Thanks Bert.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 12:49pm
The book comes up on Fleabay quite often. Was one under "Birkenhead" last week. Keep your eyes peeled !
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 2:19pm
Will do,Thanks Pinzgauer.Failing that I`m sure I will be able to pick it up locally from somewhere.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 3:01pm
Great post dava thumbsup

At around 12.20am - just after high tide - the dam collapsed without warning, sending millions of gallons of water and hundreds of tons of timber and mud crashing down on to the men working in the pit.

That must of been so surreal omg

[Linked Image]

You can clearly see the east float tower in the right side of this postcard (great find)

Report and insight into east float tower here...

Clickme smile
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 21st Dec 2008 3:06pm
Thanks Ste,and thanks for the link.I hav`nt seen this thread befor.Superb pics mate.thumbsup
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 22nd Dec 2008 4:10pm
I got the book last month from Amazon. smile
Posted By: history Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 22nd Dec 2008 7:42pm
Can someone contact me, cos I have pics of the headstones and dont know how to add them to this thread

Thanks

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 22nd Dec 2008 8:02pm
PM on it`s way.
Posted By: history Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 22nd Dec 2008 8:29pm
Hopefully, with alot of coaching from Dave,,,,,many thanks!!!

These photos taken in 2005. I think they are in section 15 or 16. I could easily take you to them tomorrow.
They had been lying flat for a few years when I saw them. Maybe covered over now?

regards

Attached picture Vitt-Dock_accident-1.JPG
Attached picture Vitt-dock-accident-2.JPG
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Coffers Dam Disaster - 22nd Dec 2008 9:19pm
Well done mate. thumbsupGreat addition to the thread.Will take you up on that offer to show me them graves if you would`nt mind.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral