Forums
Posted By: bert1 Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 11:24am
Anyone know anything on Ohmy's Circus erected in Grange Rd Birkenhead 1888 and later reconstructed as the Gaiety Music Hall. In 1898 the Gaiety was converted into the Metropole Theatre. The Metropole later became known as the Hippodrome. In the 1930s the Hippodrome was converted into a picture theatre. It didn't last long as a picture theatre and was sold to the Birkenhead and district co-operative society who built new stores on the site. Which i assume is the building occupied today by TK Max etc.

Attached picture hippodrome.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 12:14pm
I saw a reference to Ohmy's Circus years ago, can't remember where, maybe my grandmother mentioned it. I tried to find out about it, with little success. Here's a link to a site with a reference to Ohmy's Circus in Blackpool.
http://www.blackpoolcircusschool.co.uk/circus_history.html
Here's a map from about 1912 which shows the Hippodrome. It also shows a chapel on the corner of Catherine St., where Woolworths is now (not for much longer I guess), & next to that, the original YMCA, which I think is now Primark?? The Co-op buildings were called Tudor House; pic. attached. I remember being taken there to see Santa; must have been during the war.
If you can find out any more about Ohmy's Circus, I'd be interested.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Tudor House 2.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 1:48pm

Not a lot more, but from Carol Bidston's Birkenhead in Times Past:

"Mr Joseph Ohmy was a famous balloonist who performed a spectacular rope trick which involved him falling from great heights. He ran a circus on a site near the old post office in Conway Street, and employed a famous clown named Tony Felix who once raced on stilts against an old cart horse from the post office to the entrance of Birkenhead Park.

The building in Grange Road opened in 1888 as Ohmy's Grand Circus, two years later the name was changed to the Gaiety Music Hall. In 1898 W W Kelly became the lessee and the name was changed to The Metropole Theatre...."

Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 2:36pm
Thanks for that, uptoncx; A little more in the storehouse of knowledge, that's one of the great things about this site.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 5:04pm
Thanks Chris, can you put section of map up, cheers
Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 7:06pm
Oh,sorry, forgot.

Attached picture Hippodrome.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 8:09pm
Cheers Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 8:11pm
Cheers Chris great help Thank you.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 9:41pm
Should of kept Grand Road as a high street not what it is today happy
Posted By: jimbob Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 9:48pm
The building that was the co-op and is still there was built during aprox the 1950s. They tryed to get the brewery to sell them the snug so that they could knock it down but as you can see they had to build arround the snug as the brewery would not give up the licence. Unlike modern times in those days if a pub was shut down the licence was lost. Thats why pubs had to keep one bar open when they where getting any alterations done, so as not to lose the licence. The days of real beer and proper drinking hours.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 10:11pm
Some acts from OHMY's Circus Birkenhead, including first and last I have records for ....

ESKE & VOLIER (Sep 1887)
The Parisian Herculleans & Athletic Experts

W G Hurst (Oct 1887)
The Canadian Wonder
Marvellous fancy & trick bicyclist

Carlo Bianchi (Nov 1896)
Feet Equillbrist

Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 10:48pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Some acts from OHMY's Circus Birkenhead, including first and last I have records for ....

ESKE & VOLIER (Sep 1887)
The Parisian Herculleans & Athletic Experts

W G Hurst (Oct 1887)
The Canadian Wonder
Marvellous fancy & trick bicyclist

Carlo Bianchi (Nov 1896)
Feet Equillbrist

Interesting, thanks, but I thought it wasn't opened till 1888.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Grange Rd Circus - 16th Dec 2008 11:46pm
Chris, the circus moved to Grange Road in 1888, so the two 1887 events could have been before the move. The more puzzling event is the one in 1896, because the circus failed in 1890 and the building changed hands and was renamed The Gaiety Music Hall.

The buildings name was changed to the Hippodrome Theatre of Varieties in 1908, after being closed for three years (Mr Kelly closed the Metropole in 1905).

[Linked Image]

In 1916 the theatre was taken over by Mr Dennis Clarke, owner of the Argyle Theatre.

[Linked Image]
[The Hippodrome in the early 1930s]

The final performance in the theatre was on 10th March 1934, having been sold to Birkenhead and District Co-operative society.

[Linked Image]
[Co-op store on the site of the Hippodrome]

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 8:01am
Another great thread by our team of dedicated investigators !!

Please forgive my abysmal ignorance, but what is a "Feet Equillbrist" ?? (Equilibrist ?).

I must have dozed off in class that day !

As BOTH my feet are size 8, can I put "Feet Equillbrist" on my CV ?

Sorry - tone of thread plummets!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 8:24am
A Tight rope walker.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 9:13am
Thanks Bert !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 3:14pm
Thanks to all those who have provided so much info. on this thread. I thought I'd never know anything about Ohmy's Circus.

As an aside, Hippodrome is a Greek word, meaning a horse racing track: Hippos=Horse, Dromos= a path or track. (yes, I did 2 years Greek at school) thumbsdown I don't think any of the multitude of Hippodromes in England would have been much use for that. grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 8:27pm
I was curious about the dates as well ... here are some adverts with dates they appeared ....

Description: Sep 1887
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmySep1887.jpg

Description: Oct 1887
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmyOct1887.jpg

Description: Nov 1896
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmyNov1896.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 8:29pm
Here are some other adverts ...

Description: Jan 1890
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmyJan1890.jpg

Description: Jan 1896
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmyJan1896.jpg

Description: Jul 1897
Attached picture BirkenheadOhmyJul1897.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 8:35pm
Well Done Diggingdeeper, cheers
Posted By: chriskay Re: Grange Rd Circus - 17th Dec 2008 10:39pm
Great stuff, diggingdeeper; thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Grange Rd Circus - 18th Dec 2008 12:39am
well done guys. excellent read, thanks for Sharing thumbsup
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Grange Rd Circus - 5th Feb 2009 9:06pm
"The Hippodrome Theatre in Grange Road dates back to the year 1888, when it was opened by Mr Joseph Ohmy as Ohmy's Grand Circus, being designed and constructed so as to be convertible into either a theatre or a circus. Two years later it became the Gaiety, and early in the following year it was opened by Mr Ellis Brammall, jun. as a music hall. The same year it was converted to 'legitimate drama' under the management of John Riley, who for many years had been associated with Mr Dennis Grannell at the Argyle. It was then termed the Metropole Theatre. Thus continued for eight years, when Mr W W Kelly became the proprietor and ran it on high-class lines until 1905, when he concentrated his energies on the New Theatre Royal, then enlarged and beautified. After that the Hippodrome remained closed for a time, but it was subsequently acquired by Mr Walter de Freece, and for the last four of five years (nb written in c1913) has been conducted as the home of popular drama under the able and energetic management of Mr Frank Weston"
Posted By: joney Re: Grange Rd Circus - 5th May 2012 1:26pm
The Co-op must have been built around the remains of the Hippodrome because when the back of the shop suffered bomb damage a lot of stuff was throw out at the back and some of it was theatre bits and pieces including rolls of tickets as if from a pay box,of course being kids we made off with them. There must have been a storeroom untouched when the rebuilding was carried out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral