Forums
Posted By: bert1 Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 10th Dec 2008 7:32pm
After seeing an excellent photo of birkenhead town hall taken by Jase in photo gallery, i thought i would post this pic to show the beginning. The foundation stone was laid in 1883 and was opened in 1887 by John Laird. it was built using Storeton stone, Scottish granite and Marble. The build cost was £43,000.

Attached picture Town Hall.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 10th Dec 2008 9:00pm
Fantastic - thanks bert1
Posted By: Morseman Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 10th Dec 2008 10:08pm
Did you know the current Wallasey town hall was a military hospital during the first world war? The original town hall was in Church street and war broke out before the Council moved into the new one so it became a hospital. My grandfather was not fit for active service and became a medic there. Talk about a good posting. Probably a half penny tram ride and he was home for tea.

I am told that the main entrance on Brighton street is actually the back of the town hall. It was intended that the nobs visiting would pull up in their boats and be carried up the stairs to the grand entrance.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 10th Dec 2008 10:25pm
Continuing the story of the Town Hall a little:

On July 10th 1901, less than 15 years after it opened, the building was badly damaged by a fire which lasted four hours, during the fire the clock tower collapsed (I think there are pictures of the damage in the Wirral Museum - get there fast before it's closed down!).

It was a year before the Town Hall was rebuilt, during this time the council met in the Sessions Court behind the Town Hall.

[Linked Image]

The town hall was designed by C.O.Ellison & Son, the restoration was carried out by Henry Hartley, who rebuilt the upper part of the tower to a new design.

[Linked Image]

The Town Hall was again menaced by fire 34 years later, when the sessions court was engulfed in flames, which threatened to spread to the main building

In 1904 a new stained glass window was installed above the grand staircase, this represented King Edward I's visit to Birkenhead in 1277.

On April 1st 1974, three years before Birkenhead's centenary, the Town Hall became redundant when Wirral Borough Council took over.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 10th Dec 2008 11:28pm
thanks bert. thumbsup excellent work to wink

and hears what it looks like now happy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 12th Dec 2008 10:04am
Nice pics Jase
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 12th Dec 2008 10:39am
Great pics Jase. thumbsup
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 14th Dec 2008 4:35pm
The clarity in those photos is unbelieveable, you can see every whisp of grass. What camera did you use?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 15th Dec 2008 12:57am
Originally Posted by DoctorFrick
The clarity in those photos is unbelieveable, you can see every whisp of grass. What camera did you use?

happy a Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd. is a great camera
Posted By: PeteC Re: Birkenhead Town Hall Foundations - 5th Sep 2010 7:49pm
This was during the Liverpool City of Culture year:

Attached picture Town Hall.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral