Forums
Posted By: sakuraba Appeal to 1950 RAF crash families - 5th Dec 2008 3:57pm
I saw this article on the BBC website, it will probally appear in the local press also. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this - but it does concern serviceman from the Wirral, and a historic event (In Malaysia though).

Appeal to 1950 RAF crash families

A search has begun for the relatives of two British servicemen believed to have died in a plane crash in the Malaysian jungle 58 years ago.

The wreckage and human remains were found recently by expedition teams.

The Army wants to trace the families of Royal Army Service Corps dispatchers Oliver Goldsmith and Ray Wilson, both aged 21 and born in Birkenhead.

A memorial service is planned in Kuala Lumpur for the 12 victims of the crash during the Malayan Emergency.

The guerrilla war for independence was fought between Commonwealth forces and the Malayan National Liberation Army.

Rescuers were dispatched the crash site after the plane came down on 25 August 1950.

They reached the area a week later and buried casualties close to the site.

DNA testing

This year both the Malaysian Army and the British Defence Attache, based in Kuala Lumpur, have been involved in two expeditions to find the wreckage.

The Army said a number of human remains were found at the site, and a service was planned at the nearest Commonwealth War Grave cemetery.

DNA testing may have to be used to identify the remains.

The Ministry of Defence would provide funding for two relatives of each man to attend the service.

Driver Oliver Arthur Goldsmith was born in Birkenhead on 10 March 1929. His grandmother Rebecca Leighlin lived at Homecroft at Marshlands Road in Neston.

Driver Ray Thomas Wilson, also born in Birkenhead on 20 November 1928. His father John Sydney Wilson lived at Mount Road in Tranmere.

Link to article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7766758.stm
Posted By: Morseman Re: Appeal to 1950 RAF crash families - 5th Dec 2008 8:15pm
I've been involved in a few of these in the past. Some have been successful but not always.

There is a dedicated part of the ministry of defence that deals with these matters but they do tend to try and seek outside help such as the local radio stations.

I wonder have Radio's Merseyside and City broadcast anything about it? Has the Echo, Wirral Globe and News been informed?

If that happens but fails then it is time to hit the books at the libraries.

It is a public duty for everyone to do what they can to trace relatives so these men can have someone at the funeral service. If this is not possible then usually a representative of the British Legion or army association will stand in.

Chances are there will still be relatives around so hopefully some can be found.

RIP.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Appeal to 1950 RAF crash families - 5th Dec 2008 8:45pm
Maybe I can mention it on the radio show I present on sunday smile
Posted By: Morseman Re: Appeal to 1950 RAF crash families - 5th Dec 2008 10:56pm
Originally Posted by BigBadStuey
Maybe I can mention it on the radio show I present on sunday smile

Go for it, the more the merrier!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral