Forums
Posted By: uptoncx Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 30th Nov 2008 11:44pm
In 1906 Wallasey Corporation took delivery of two new ferries, built by Robert Stevenson and Company on the Tyne and named 'Iris' and 'Daffodil'. The boats were 159 feet long and could carry 1,735 passengers, the Iris was 491 tons and the Daffodil was 482 tons.

In 1915 both boats were requisitioned for service in the First World War, they were renamed 'H.M.S. Iris' and H.M.S. Daffodil', had armour plating fitted and were painted Grey.

They were used on the first commando raid on the Port of Zeebrugge, in Belgium, because of their double hulls and as they only drew eight foot six inches of water, they could sail over the minefields.

Both boats were badly damaged, 188 Officers and men had been killed with a further 16 reported missing. 'H.M.S. Iris' was able to return to the Mersey under her own steam, but 'H.M.S. Daffodil' had to be towed back.

The White Ensign, which had been flown from the masthead of 'H.M.S. Daffodil' was presented to the Ferries Department, it used to be displayed at Seacombe Ferry terminal.

[Linked Image]
The damaged 'H.M.S. Iris' back in the Mersey

The two boats were reconditioned and were allowed to use the prefix "Royal" in front of their names in recognition of their gallant action. Both vessels re-entered service as ferryboats, after being repaired at Chatham.

The Zeebrugge bronzes were displayed on the ferryboats. On these plates were the names of those men who had died in action in the raid. There was one that commemorated the bravery of Commander Valentine Gibbs of the Royal Navy, who commanded 'H.M.S. Iris', as he "lay mortally wounded, fighting and directing his ship to the last, whilst under the enemy's fire, upholding in his noble death the glorious traditions of the Great Service to which he belonged".

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Iris' running pleasure cruises on the Mersey

The 'Royal Iris' was withdrawn from service and sold in 1932 to Palmer Brothers of Dublin. She was used as a cruise boat operating from Dublin under the same name. She was later used at Cork. In 1947 she was sold to the Cork Harbour Authority and renamed 'Blarney'.

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Daffodil' at New Brighton Pier

The Medway Steam Packet Company bought the "Royal Daffodil" in 1933. She took up duties on the Thames and eventually was sold for scrap.

In 1950 Wallasey Corporatin took delivery of 'Royal Iris II', she had been built by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton, she was 1234 tons and 159 feet long. She was unique amongst the ferries as she had diesel electric engines. She also had a unique superstructure design.

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Iris II'

The 'Royal Iris II' was withdrawn from service in 1993 and sold for use as a night club in Cardiff, following an unsuccessful period there she was moved to the River Thames in 2002. She remains afloat in an increasingly derelict condition.

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Iris II on the Thames'

The 'Royal Daffodil II' was the last ferry to be built for Wallasey Corporation, she was built by James Lamont & Company of Greenock in 1957. She was 609 tons and 159 feet 6 inches long.

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Daffodil II'

The 'Royal Daffodil II' was withdrawn from service in 1977 and sold to Greek owners who renamed her IOULIS KEAS II. On 7 November 2007 she sank about 20 miles off Cape Andreas, Cyprus after ingress of water and steering gear failure in heavy weather on passage from Mersin to Famagusta; 8 crew were rescued but her captain and 1st mate were lost.

In 2000 Mersey Ferries withdrew the former Birkenhead Corporation ferry 'Overchurch' from service, and after a major overhaul she was renamed 'Royal Daffodil'

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Daffodil III'

The 'Overchurch' (or 'Royal Daffodil III') was built by Cammell Laird in 1962

Two years later, in 2002 the former Birkenhead Corporation ferry 'Mountwood' was overhauled and renamed 'Royal Iris of the Mersey' (the name 'Royal Iris' is still registered to 'Royal Iris II).

[Linked Image]
The 'Royal Iris of the Mersey'

The 'Mountwood' (or 'Royal Iris of the Mersey' was built by Philip & Son of Dartmouth in 1960.

Posted By: Wench Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 12:06am
Thank you for that upton thumbsup Such a shame that the originals have been left to rack and ruin.

Posted By: SoundLad Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 12:15am
they should get royal iris back on the mersey instead of leaving it to rot..
Posted By: peodude Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 12:34am
Very interesting stuff there, reading through it i thought that they may hav ebeen the originals still going today, but nfortunately not.

There is one ferry missing though, the formerly called "Woodchurch" whatever happened to that one?

EDIT: Google reveals that "Woodchurch" is now called "Snowdrop"
Posted By: hoseman Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 8:55am
I was working on the "new" Daffodil when she had her refit in Lairds. They had to cut the sides of the hull out to remove and refit new engines! Brought a team of Swiss engineers over for that!
Also remember one of the two engines packing in while in service and had to board her at Woodside with spares and tools to fix her while still operating! If only the passengers knew!!! thumbsup
Posted By: hoseman Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 8:57am
Also my great aunt was a "clippy" onboard, when you were allowed to fish off the side while in service, she would bring home ell`s etc. How the times are a changing, AND not always for the better! no
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 4:48pm
when the ferry was getting refurbursed about 4-5 years ago are firm installed alot of duct work and made the funnel for the boat i will try and get a few pics up
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Dec 2008 5:16pm
this is the only pic i can get its a bit small

Attached picture funnel.JPG
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 2nd Dec 2008 6:31am
I remember you saying about that, wasnt it in the paper or summit? I know it was on ya firms website.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 2nd Dec 2008 4:29pm
yeah it was meant vto go into the paper but never checked but a photographer did come round.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 31st Jan 2010 8:04pm
hi
just to pass on messages from friends in the london fire brigade..it sounds bad!
Silvertown, Ex Ferry ship sunk, in docks, Fire, Police & Ambulance in Att, Now looking for bodies

just a derelict ex-Mersey ferry that has been moored there for years and has been on the bottom for sometime it appeared to be sinking as the high tide had been swamping it a little more than normal and this had been noticed by a passing vessel !

barry
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 31st Jan 2010 11:19pm
i worked on a couple of them tiling and fitting stair nosings while on trials in the river. Scary
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 31st Jan 2010 11:37pm
confused these are both moored in the docks by my work next to each other, by the flour mills on the dock road.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 12:21am
I've just read on another forum that 'Royal Iris' has sunk at her moorings on the River Thames. Looks like this is the end.

Bob.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 1:30pm
Not surprised she sank, here is a picture from about 3 years ago.
Clicky

Attached picture Iris.jpg
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 4:52pm
How can she sink? I was wondering as she just sits on the mud anyway most of the day, would like to know more about this
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 5:06pm
Its got a hole ... (or in correct English ... She's got a hole)

Clicky

From thread

Here
Posted By: printhere Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 5:15pm
Hi all I am new here. I have just spoken to a friend of mine who works on the Thames barrier control, he informs me that she has not sank she is taking on water in her aft peak every high tide. As sallybear say's she can't sink she is sat on the mud. However they have tried to contact the owner Mr James Jegede but no contact has been made. It seems Mr Jegede has very little interest in such an important part of our heritage.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 7:37pm
So what's with the fire and searching for bodies??
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 1st Feb 2010 9:17pm
Hi, ive taken a bit of stick for reporting this - this is the info I have received from people in London (im in wallasey so obviously am working on passed on information). The below is cut & pasted from another forum where the same information was posted, Someone there thought I shoulve made clear it was the old royal iris and not the current royal iris (of the mersey)..

as reported on another forum (ship nostalgia), she was taking on water yesterday morning with a hole, (starboard quarter i think). Last night, i received the above two messages... I have since spoken to the source who is a serving London Firefighter. Whilst he was off duty last night, he was teaching ship-bourne firefighting on board a ship on the other side of the thames (not mersey). He and one of the fellow instructors noticed that the Royal Iris (no longer of the mersey), was sinking in the high tide. As they watched, around 10 blue light vehicles arrived near the Royal Iris berth and a further 4 appliances arrived next to the ship where they were instructing. When my friend asked what was happening, they were told by the crew commander in charge, that they had been sent to search for bodies on this side of the thames. It would seem to me (my opinion at the moment) that the LFB have treated this as a ferry sinking and inline with a previous major incident on the thames, they swung into action.

Now, I thought that the information would be interesting to not only ship enthusiasts, but also locals - as you may read in the other forum, there are a lot of people with fond memories of the iris (not of the mersey!). If you go on yahoo groups and look for London FIre Brigade, you may be able to find the original messages as posted above - I have since learnt the rest of the facts from a phonecall to a serving London Firefighter.

If anyone has any more questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer
regards
Barry

latest messages from yahoo groups London Fire Brigade

Chris,
Found this, i know Fireboat was required to attend, due to Cylinders at request of River police, No persons where involved those.

http://www.celticseashipping.co.uk/photofe...sthames0806.htm

--- In [email protected], "Chris Tunstall" <chriscmsrf@...> wrote:
>
>
> This not just yer ordinary Mersey Ferry ...... No, this is the one and only Royal Iris, the only surviving (or is it now?), Wallasey Corporation ferry boat.
>
> It is a shame it has got to this state, any more news appreciated by the locals.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
>
> --- In [email protected], RANDYGROWLER@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bob, just a derelict ex-Mersey ferry that has been moored there for
> > years and has been on the bottom for sometime it appeared to be sinking as the
> > high tide had been swamping it a little more than normal and this had been
> > noticed by a passing vessel !
> >
>
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 3:31pm
a couple of pics taken in the last few days of the iris at high tide listing to starbored.

Attached picture 4322213877_10cbdea0c7_b.jpg
Attached picture 4323042456_d941d3723b.jpg
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 3:35pm
how she should sit at high water.

Attached picture bbbb.jpg
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 3:50pm
In better times......wouldn't this part of merseyside's maritime history have been able to find a home at the maritime museum........a waste and a loss...again..not realised until it's too late and gone.

Attached picture 290831879_cf9e709f76_o.jpg
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 4:35pm
The inside is a complete mess now.

[Linked Image]

Andy this is what you call an expensive washing line.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tatey Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 6:24pm
Probably the best thing that could have happened to this awful looking vessel.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Feb 2010 6:42pm
I posted these in the wrong thread before so I will try again in the correct one.

Here is a couple of shots I took of the royal Daffodil and Royal iris in the same place but at different times.

Attached picture 100_4417_[800x600].jpg
Attached picture 100_1614_[800x600].jpg
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 12:27am
THE ROYAL IRIS ON HER VISIT TO THE THAMES IN 1985 TO PROMOTE MERSEYSIDE.
Posted By: golfvr Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 9:13am
Im proper gutted that this boat isnt coming back home.

It saddens me that Liverpool Council or Wirral council cant get there act together.

What a waste of N.West history and heritage.

frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 12:17pm
Re: the pic of her listing to starboard. From the angle of the rust stains running down the superstructure, she's been listing for quite a while. Maybe just the angle of the mud she sits on at low water.

Got to be honest here, I always thought it was an ugly, hideous vessel. Designed by a naval architect who had obviously been on the cooking sherry. HOWEVER... it's still sad to see her in this sorry state. The gas axe looms I'm sure.

Why the heck couldn't someone have saved one of the REAL ferries ? Bidston, Claughton, Upton, Hinderton etc. That would have been something. Gift of hindsight ?????
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 1:31pm
Well, I do tend to agree Pinzgauer - she's not the most attractive ever built is she?, However, she is iconic, and such a part of Merseyside history, both Maritime and Social. Why have the authorities got such an aversion to preserving the transport of the 50's and 60's? (As an aside, the last class 503 underground unit, although 'preserved' is, I think, rotting away and vandalised in the open air in Coventry). Maybe in years to come, her loss will be regarded as the same as the loss of the Overhead?

Then again, why is everyone saying how sad, what a shame, and she's never coming back? The boat still exists, and while it does, is it ever too late? I dunno.... help

I think if it going to be saved, people need to get together - its being discussed on other foums too:

Clicky

People can do it; the brand new steam locomotive Tornado started as a pipe dream 19 years ago, and now, £3m pounds later is built and is superb. The initial money was raised via covenants 'for the price if a pint a week' - could something similar be done for 'Iris'?

How about 'for the price of a chip supper'?

What is sad is that we can preserve what Mersyside hated (a German U-Boat), but not what Merseyside loved (the Royal Iris). Does my head in. mad

Just my thoughts... sorry if it's all too naive.

Billy.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 2:11pm
I echo your sentiments billy. It seems a "local" lack of enthusiasm for preserving "local" heritage.

Whilst it was outside the Pacific Road (then) tram terminus, I was one of a VERY small band of folk helping to stop the decay and make a start on the renovation of the the 503 Driving Trailer "Mersey" car. Basically there were 3 of us. A chap from New Brighton - the ONLY local, myself (I came down by train from Ayrshire once a month) and a chap from London who could only "escape" 2 or 3 times a year ! That just about sums up the "local" desire to keep Merseyside's heritage in one piece !

The complete 503 set at Coventry is a Royal Iris on tracks - rusting away and almost beyond saving.

Before going too OT. The same sketch is happening NOW with the 502 (Southport electric) unit. It was at Steamport,Southport. Again I helped to get it working and it was taken out on the "juice" for special trips. Folk moved away (guilty) and no one took up the job of maintaining it. It went into outside storage for year at a MOD depot. Secure, but open to the weather. Sad state to say the least. It's been "rescued" and is now at Tebay, tarpaulined over, awaiting someone in Merseyside to help out with covered accomodation. Not an easy task.

Future generations aren't going to thank us for what we've let go.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Feb 2010 2:29pm
Further to above, meant to put a link in.

If you have a BIG shed (for a 2 car train) in your garden, or are willing to help in any way, see the link.

Sorry for going more than a bit OT !

http://www.class502.org.uk/

What was that about boats at Egremont again ?? ha.ha.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 9:25am
well said ..
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 9:36am
updated pic

Attached picture nnn.jpg
Posted By: philmch Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 12:36pm
http://tinyurl.com/yeu4ba3

Very sad news indeed.
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 1:29pm
Originally Posted by ahbaldy
The inside is a complete mess now.

[Linked Image]

Andy this is what you call an expensive washing line.

[Linked Image]

It's been a mess for ages mate. These are my shots from 2006. [sarcastic]Thanks for the credit[/sarcastic]
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 3:06pm
Sorry Dave, they were found using Extreme Picture Finder (v3.11) and so no copyright notices came with them.
Like your artistic talents of leaving the washing line up, makes it more interesting.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Feb 2010 4:27pm
frown

Attached picture Gravesend%201%20lands.jpg
Attached picture Shout%2031%20Jan%2010.jpg
Posted By: Thames_Ben Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 1:14am
[Linked Image]

High res photo from RNLI here : http://www.rnli.org.uk/wcm/system/p...06473e00-5e57-4060-87e6-6c6877e913e0.jpg

Who actually owns the washing line/clothes in the picture. The last time i saw somebody onboard was 2 women (rather nice too!) on the top deck sunbathing last summer with the caravan door open. Are they squatters? Its a strange setup with the whole caravan thing

Are her engines still onboard? Assume seized solid if they are! What about her wheelhouse? any photos of that? Any wheel/controls left inside?
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 7:39am
I took this vid in 1991 when my Dad and I were looking for the old Royal Iris in Birkenhead. You only see it for a few seconds. In retrospect, I wish I took more time :¬(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUBWy6RnP5I
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 8:48am
hi ben,dave has a site with good royal iris pics from 1996

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/royaliris2/
Posted By: Thames_Ben Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 1:15pm
Originally Posted by john1788
hi ben,dave has a site with good royal iris pics from 2006

Thanks John, great photos in that link, although very sad to see her in such a poor way. Such potential too!

@Dave - Did you manage to photograph or look into the wheelhouse?
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 1:42pm
This is on the front page of todays Liverpool Echo!
Im sure I have a picture of the Royal Iris when the Queen is on board in the river mersey, 1977? i was a kid at the time, we where standing on the steps at the back of Wallasey town hall, I came across the picture some 15 years later or more.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 1:59pm
hi ben,dave has a site with good royal iris pics from 1996

sorry should be 2006

Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 3:38pm
thats sad went on them years ago

where they kept now then

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 3:51pm
Originally Posted by Thames_Ben

Sorry Ben,
I don't know what that means. Probably not.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 5:52pm
BBC news website - Royal Iris
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 6:01pm
Gerry Marsden, leader of Gerry & the Pacemakers, sailed on the ferry thousands of times as he sung the well-know 'Ferry Across The Mersey'.

"It is such a shame, but every year there are reports of it getting more and more dilapidated and every year we all try to do something to save it but to no avail.

"It has so much history and was much loved by many in Liverpool."

quote taken off the bbc web site

what has he done to try and save her,would love to know,if he can't do it dont think we would have much look..
Posted By: Thames_Ben Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Feb 2010 10:25pm
Originally Posted by Dave_Wood

Sorry Ben,
I don't know what that means. Probably not.

Dave,
Sorry, i ment did you take any photos or see the bridge of the Royal Iris?
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 9th Feb 2010 11:34am
FOR ANY 1 WHO'S INTRESTED IN SAVING HER ?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=291068027297&ref=nf
Posted By: printhere Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 9th Feb 2010 5:23pm
I found this if anyone is interested

Attached picture DC_2502082.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 9th Feb 2010 5:27pm
Full history
http://...co.uk/wallasey/TSMV_Royal_Iris/index.html

Attached picture Royal_Iris_layout.jpg
Attached picture Royal_Iris_bridge_1952.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 9th Feb 2010 6:59pm
Must be just me, but as a bit of an old sailor myself, I have always thought that the floating fish & chip shop was an abortion.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 10th Feb 2010 1:17pm
Not the best looking, but still warmly remembered by many. think

Anyway, I remembered that I had an original poster of the 'fish and chip shop' somewhere, and I thought it would be good to share it.

Better times...

Billy.

Description: Original Royal Iris poster
Attached picture iris05-50.JPG
Posted By: davros Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 11th Feb 2010 5:27am
I sent an email to the Liverpool Echo a few months back about this - didn't get a reply. The Royal Iris should be raised and refurbed - get Sir Paul to donate a few bob. - very historic for Beatle fans and Merseysiders alike.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 9:44am
a update from another site says she has now been made watertight and pumped out and is floating on the high tide,also the owner is talking to a guy who is willing to buy her and return her to the mersey,may only be rumours but a very strong one.........fingers crossed she could escape the scrap yard yet..the port of london are also putting pressure on the owner to move it as he hasn't paid his mooring fees for a few years..
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 12:48pm
Have you got the link to the other site John?
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 2:10pm
this is the text,will sort the link out when i can get it to work.

Good Evening sue I have some good news regarding the royal iris. In the past few days have been in contact with the PLA and the chap who Manages the berth where she’s moored. They both inform me that she has been pumped out and emergency repairs have been made, she i...s now floating at every high tide. I was also informed there has been regular fuel deliveries in the past 4 weeks but only in small quantities. On a more of a frustrating note, I have made contact with owner though a “middle man” who is in regular contact with Mr Jegede. I have been told he will contact me when he has time. After a every lengthy conversation to the PLA. It appears Mr Jegede avoids all communication with them at all costs, as he hasn’t paid them for a number of years and is effectively squatting on the berth. Further on in the conversation I was told “We would be delighted if she removed from the Thames as she has been an eyesore for a number of years. Year in year out we are more and more concerned with her deteriorating condition as she could potentially become a navigational hazard.” I will be going down to see the vessel next week to see her present condition, and try to meet with Mr Jegede, as it seems he no longer resides in France. I will keep you informed Kind regards Mart
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 2:36pm
Thanks John - much appreciated. If you find out anything else, let us know! Cheers.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 4:03pm
it's also on the above facebook link now.
Posted By: printhere Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 12th Feb 2010 6:43pm
the only photo of the wheel house i have.
Sorry i had to blank out the picture for obvious reasons.

[Linked Image]

Photo of the water line at high tide on the 1st deck (Ground Floor) before she was pumped out.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Thames_Ben Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 12:07am
Originally Posted by printhere
the only photo of the wheel house i have.
Sorry i had to blank out the picture for obvious reasons.

[Linked Image]

Photo of the water line at high tide on the 1st deck (Ground Floor) before she was pumped out.

[Linked Image]

Fantastic shots PrintHere. Anymore taken on the day would be interesting to see. Im suprised her telegraph etc is still there,but shame to see her wheel has gone.

Dave wood has taken some fantastic photos onboard her 13/1/10 some in HDR:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4354304810_494524bc54_o.jpg - STERN
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2719/4353559011_c93374041c_o.jpg - BOW
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/4354304424_5ee6ae0895_o.jpg - MUDDY DECK
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4354304414_f72b484993_o.jpg - TELEGRAPH
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4354304412_a56bce0192_o.jpg - INTERIOR
Posted By: Thames_Ben Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 12:15am

Good Evening sue I have some good news regarding the royal iris. In the past few days have been in contact with the PLA and the chap who Manages the berth where she’s moored. They both inform me that she has been pumped out and emergency repairs have been made, she i...s now floating at every high tide. I was also informed there has been regular fuel deliveries in the past 4 weeks but only in small quantities. On a more of a frustrating note, I have made contact with owner though a “middle man” who is in regular contact with Mr Jegede. I have been told he will contact me when he has time. After a every lengthy conversation to the PLA. It appears Mr Jegede avoids all communication with them at all costs, as he hasn’t paid them for a number of years and is effectively squatting on the berth. Further on in the conversation I was told “We would be delighted if she removed from the Thames as she has been an eyesore for a number of years. Year in year out we are more and more concerned with her deteriorating condition as she could potentially become a navigational hazard.” I will be going down to see the vessel next week to see her present condition, and try to meet with Mr Jegede, as it seems he no longer resides in France. I will keep you informed Kind regards Mart

Thanks for posting this John. Which forum was it taken from? The photos i have just posted by Dave Wood are dated 13/1/10 and the fwd view shows her still on the bottom? I do hope something can be done by the PLA to put pressure on the owner or to get people involved to save her. I guess at the moment,being on a drying berth, its about the best place for her. Look forward to anymore details/updates.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 9:26am
it was off the facebook page m8,the link is on page 4,cant tell you anymore than that as im not on facebook,just what was sent to me by a friend.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 9:35am
wow great shots!
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 9:39pm

Dave,
Sorry, i ment did you take any photos or see the bridge of the Royal Iris?

Hi Ben,
thanks for that. I paid her a visit over the weekend. Here's a few shots of the exterior and interior, including one of the bridge telegraphs. I only found out what they were called a couple of days ago whistle I'm just catching up and saw a wide angle shot of the bridge further on in this thread. I'll see if I've taken any similar shots and post them later. I went a bit over the top with the processing of the exterior shots, because they're going on canvas prints.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 9:44pm
Oops! Sorry. Just realised some of mine have been posted already. I'll go through some others later on that haven't been posted. Got to take one of my lads and his mates into town now frown
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 9:50pm

Thanks for posting this John. Which forum was it taken from? The photos i have just posted by Dave Wood are dated 13/1/10 and the fwd view shows her still on the bottom? I do hope something can be done by the PLA to put pressure on the owner or to get people involved to save her. I guess at the moment,being on a drying berth, its about the best place for her. Look forward to anymore details/updates.

That post is from Martin. Things are in place to "contact" James shortly. Martin and I are visiting the ship again in a couple of weeks to take some shots of the engine room. There is some hope to get her back up here again, I can assure you wink
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2010 11:25pm
She would have to come back on a barge. A possible site once she is watertight would be Stanley Dock (assuming that the lifting bridge on the dock road will be able to lift when those good friends of our heritage Peel Holdings have repaired it)
As far as I know Stanley Dock belongs to British Waterways & is beyond the clutches of Peel.

Bob.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 20th Feb 2010 10:21pm
Wirral businessman’s bid to save Liverpool's Royal Iris

A BUSINESSMAN has revealed he is in negotiations with the owner of the Royal Iris to buy the much-loved historic former ferry.

Known as the “fish and chip” boat, the Royal Iris has lain derelict on the Thames for the last eight years.

The ECHO revealed how she had become flooded on high tides and was in a sorry state.

But the Wirral businessman – who wishes to remain anonymous while negotiations continue – said he hoped to bring the boat back to the Mersey.

He said: “It is not a selfish thing and if others want to become involved they are welcome – but I have spent several years trying to convince the owner of the Royal Iris to sell her to me.

“I visited her again last week and some people had actually repaired the hull so she does not take on water during the high tides.

“As far as I know, they have not been paid for the work, but just did it because they had heard about the state of the vessel.

“Structurally, internally, she is relatively sound, but externally the years have taken their toll.

“I have had quotes for repairing her and towing her to the Mersey, and there are others who would help in this.”

He said if the Royal Iris can be brought back, he hopes to set up a not-for-profit organisation to oversee repairing the boat and allowing her to cruise the Mersey again.

The one-time Mersey ferry is in a perilous state on a mud bank in the Thames and had been taking in water.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-liverpool-s-royal-iris-100252-25875454/
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 28th Feb 2010 9:39pm
Some pics of the Fish & Chip Boat in her 50s heyday.

Attached picture Royal Iris Artist's Impression resized.jpg

Description: Fish & Chip Saloon Artist's Impression
Attached picture Fish & Chip Saloon Concept resized.jpg

Description: Fish & Chip Saloon the reality
Attached picture Fish & Chip Saloon 1 resized.jpg

Description: Fish & Chip Saloon another view
Attached picture Fish & Chip Saloon 2 resized.jpg

Description: Posh Fish & Chips!
Attached picture Fish & Chip Saloon 3 resized.jpg

Description: Smoke Room Artist's Impression
Attached picture Smoke Room concept resized.jpg

Description: Main Bar
Attached picture Main Bar 1 resized.jpg

Description: Main Bar another view
Attached picture Main Bar 2 resized.jpg

Description: Dance Floor
Attached picture Dance Floor resized.jpg

Description: The Band
Attached picture The Band resized.jpg
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 2nd Mar 2010 9:07pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred

Amazing shots in the previous post. Those "RM" boards are still there. I presumed all along that the "RM" stood for River Mersey blush

Attached picture iris7.jpg
Attached picture iris8.jpg
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 2nd Mar 2010 9:12pm
www.royaliris.co.uk
Could you all please sign the Royal Iris petition. Thanks.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Mar 2010 1:08pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred

Amazing shots in the previous post. Those "RM" boards are still there. I presumed all along that the "RM" stood for River Mersey blush

Who says this site isn't educational?

Also, just a small correction. The two photos captioned 'Main Bar' in my previous post should of course say 'Smoke Room Bar'- the bar as built was obviously slightly different from the one depicted in the concept drawing. I have some photos of the main Cocktail Bar somewhere if I can find them & get around to scanning them.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Mar 2010 2:33pm
fantastic pics mate! names down mate! good luck thumbsup
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Mar 2010 6:10pm
www.royaliris.co.uk
Could you all please sign the Royal Iris petition. Thanks.
done. Good luck
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Mar 2010 7:10pm
done
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Mar 2010 10:43am
Me too.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Mar 2010 10:49am
done
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Mar 2010 11:38am
I remember going on a 'booze cruise' on this many moons ago. Those were the days.
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Mar 2010 1:33pm
Thanks for signing the Royal Iris Petition petition folks. The The Liverpool Echo have written an article about it today.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 4th Mar 2010 2:29pm
Just read the Echo, I was about to post that they had an article when you beat me to it.
Posted By: golfvr Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 5th Mar 2010 8:56am
It make my piss boil to see the Royal Iris in this state.

Lottery money should be available, as its real heritage.

They plough millions into stacks of ballet theatres,etc. Which only limited 'normal' people will ever benefit from.

This boat is grass-roots,real life heritage.

Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 6th Mar 2010 8:00pm
done
Posted By: kimpri Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Mar 2010 12:31am
The Famous Cruise Ship T.S.M.V. Royal Iris

Description: Royal Iris
Attached picture the van 012.jpg
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Mar 2010 10:36am
Originally Posted by golfvr
It make my piss boil to see the Royal Iris in this state.

Lottery money should be available, as its real heritage.

They plough millions into stacks of ballet theatres,etc. Which only limited 'normal' people will ever benefit from.

This boat is grass-roots,real life heritage.

...whoa , down boy ! Iris is currently in private hands ...you are a bit premature to be having a go re Public funding ...
Posted By: davros Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 26th Mar 2010 5:35am
er.. whats happening, the steam appears to have gone out of this???

Anyone got an update
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 26th Mar 2010 7:56am
The owner has said that he will not sell the boat. He says that there is 24hr security on it now. Work is being carried out everyday on it. It did not sink but got stuck in the mud when the tide came in and this needs cleaning. He is talking about using it for 9 months on the Thames and 3 months of the year in Liverpool as as attraction.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 26th Mar 2010 8:14am
believe it when i see it, how longs it been there now?!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 26th Mar 2010 8:15am
This hull is too old to be economically refurbished & should be scrapped!
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 26th Mar 2010 2:46pm
I can't believe that this guy thinks he can get the ship into operational condition. At the bare minimum she needs a new bottom, major structural repairs to the aluminium superstructure & new generators.Having been immersed in salt water the generators will be shot & probably the steering gear as well.
There is then the problem of the large amount of brown asbestos insulation, which would cost a fortune to remove. If he employed a marine surveyor he would find out the true cost of this project - he would then probably sell the ship !
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 3rd Mar 2011 1:35pm
Nearly a year since the last post on this, so thought I'd ask - what's the latest news of the Iris?
Anything been done?
Anyone know?
Posted By: minicooper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 7th Mar 2011 7:07pm
still in a bad way

SAVE THE ROYAL IRIS
Posted By: steiner Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 7th Jan 2012 12:37am
What's the latest fellas? Lots of excitement about this - then almost two years of tumbleweed. Any news?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 7th Jan 2012 1:10am
Here's a picture from a few months ago, so she's not dead yet ...

CLICKY
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 7th Jan 2012 2:15am
we went past the iris in october, didn't get chance to take any pics as we were on rib bombing along the river.
will be going again in feb so will try to get some pics then.
Posted By: granny Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 7th Jan 2012 2:44am
I don't understand this at all. She has been there in a bad state for over 10year , I don't know the exact amount of time. Ten years ago she'd had everything ripped out of her and a caravan was on her deck with I assume, someone living in it. Who is hoping to get anything from it by hanging onto it. A bit of a mystery. The chap who owned it, and he may be a different owner now wouldn't release the name Royal Iris to Mersey Ferries and that's why the new boat is named slightly differently. You probably all know this but none of it makes sense when she's being left to rot. The only assumption I could make at the moment is that scrap metal is increasing in price and maybe that's what they are waiting for. It must have cost a fortune keep her in dock all these years. All very strange!
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 12:03pm
Check this out and please sign if you really want to try and save this historic and brave little ferry, she deserves better than this. So if there is any lottery winners out there people with money to spare (business folk, etc!) let's do the honourable thing, and sign this to start the ball rolling at least, http://www.royaliris.co.uk
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 3:17pm
Done! although what good it will really do...? I have me doots...
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 3:23pm
Also done! (but agree with CVCVCV)
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 3:34pm
Sorry folks. While I love history and have a huge affection for what the Iris and other boats achieved in both peace and war - I have to say the time is up.

Yes, anything CAN be saved - but to what end? It would cost a fortune even to make the boat seaworthy enough to get her up to Merseyside, and then a huge amount more to adapt her in some way that she would serve a useful function in tourism, training or the like. Time to let her go I think. The boat itself is after all just a lump of badly degraded ironwork. The spirit of the Iris and what she achieved will carry on.

Snod
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 3:40pm
I think what irks peole the most, is the painful slow death aspect - the sight of her half-submerged, rotting away, in a backwater of the Thames...
Mr Jegade really ought to **** or get off the pot, essentially...
It really is a heartbreaking sight, for too many local people, what has befallen her. I agree with (I suspect) many in that, regrettable and inevitable as it most likely is, I would rather have her broken up than left to rot.
Posted By: granny Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 13th Jan 2012 3:42pm
Polite comments only, apparently.

http://royaliris.co.uk/buddy/2010/03/13/hello-world/
Posted By: minicooper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 8:47pm
It's well past the "polite comments only" stage!!!
The mans an idiot!
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 9:52pm
The best hope for 'Royal Iris' is for Merseytravel to buy her & plinth her at New Brighton, in a similar way to what they've done with the U-Boat at Woodside.
With a reinstated fish & chip bar & dance floor she would make a brilliant attraction.
If there is any Merseytravel employee on this forum please mention it to Mr. Scales.

Bob.
Posted By: Wench Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 10:12pm
Having read the comments on the link provided, I think it's all very well calling for them to be saved and "given back to Liverpool" but who is going to fund it? I can already hear the moans about their council tax going up. They might be able to apply for a lottery heritage grant or something similar, but what happens when that money runs out?

Where will they put it? It's not like either of them are tiny is it?

Whilst I agree it's a shame, people have to remember that there isn't a bottomless pit of money to "save" everything that is considered heritage or history. It has to come from somewhere.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:22pm
After seeing what happened to the Historic Warships which was "The largest collection of 20th century warships in Europe", it would further break peoples hearts to the Royal Iris arrive and then go down the pan.

The Birkenhead Town Hall museum, Giant Grasshopper etc were bright ideas that failed also.

I think I would like to see some more preservation of things that are still here than take on more money pits.

Posted By: granny Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:22pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Having read the comments on the link provided, I think it's all very well calling for them to be saved and "given back to Liverpool" but who is going to fund it? I can already hear the moans about their council tax going up. They might be able to apply for a lottery heritage grant or something similar, but what happens when that money runs out?

Where will they put it? It's not like either of them are tiny is it?

Whilst I agree it's a shame, people have to remember that there isn't a bottomless pit of money to "save" everything that is considered heritage or history. It has to come from somewhere.

Agreed Wench. As much as it would be wonderful to have her back it's a huge gamble. I can tell you that Mersey Ferries/Travel, are not one bit interested in her repatriation and never have been.
Where would she berth, at an astronomical cost? With the new developement by Peel Holdings in the offing, the chances are, she would be chased away again in the same way the Historic Warships were told to go. It is too much of a gamble for anyone to take now.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:23pm
Lol - great minds granny wink
Posted By: granny Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:30pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
After seeing what happened to the Historic Warships which was "The largest collection of 20th century warships in Europe", it would further break peoples hearts to the Royal Iris arrive and then go down the pan.

The Birkenhead Town Hall museum, Giant Grasshopper etc were bright ideas that failed also.

I think I would like to see some more preservation of things that are still here than take on more money pits.

I heard that Peel Holdings would be looking for prestigeous offices in Birkenhead (could it be the Town Hall?) Giant Grasshopper is on land belonging to Peel Holdings ! And lets not forget Wirral Council and Reresentatives of Peel Holdings went to China together just a few years ago to sign some deal, which I am not sure what. Yet again all things shut up until everything has gone beyond the point of return. I don't think many would like to argue with Peel Holdings about a berthing place for what they would describe as 'an old boat'.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:45pm
The development work on the chinese contract has started, the mobil oil site is getting dismantled which is the where the massive complex is to be located.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Jan 2012 11:47pm
Link to this development is HERE
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 15th Jan 2012 11:59am
The big problem with preservation of large artefacts is that it is handled by people working for local government etc. ,who don't understand preservation & how to go about it. The new museum at the Pier Head is a prime example of this. I was watching a series of old photos on a screen by the Overhead Railway coach, & one of them was actually back to front !

Bob.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 15th Jan 2012 4:50pm
Does anyone have any factual, up to date, as of today, status on the Iris?
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 22nd Jan 2012 4:05pm
Apart from the updates available via the link i posted, I'm not sure. I dont realythink much has changed, but its great to see that her 'fate' is a great topic of conversation. whilst i am able to see both sides of the coin so to speak, surely an concerted, well organised effortcould at least be made which would show the 'powers that be' what the little man would like for a change. You would not leave an animal in this position, so lets do or die!!!!!
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Feb 2012 9:37pm
I notice from the "Ask" search on "Royal Iris" that the owner is interested in selling her!
Posted By: IrishSeaShipping Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 14th Feb 2012 11:51pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

The Birkenhead Town Hall museum, Giant Grasshopper etc were bright ideas that failed also.I think I would like to see some more preservation of things that are still here than take on more money pits.

I understand that the Giant Grasshopper may be taken on my Merseytravel as one of its increasing portfolio of atractions. They are also looking at the tramway again - but have called in consultants to consider the viability of extending it into Wirral Waters. There had been a plan a year or two ago to extend it to Seacombe Ferry.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 15th Feb 2012 10:14am
Originally Posted by Wench
Having read the comments on the link provided, I think it's all very well calling for them to be saved and "given back to Liverpool"

What's all this "given back to Liverpool" nonsense. Liverpool never owned any of the ferries; they were Birkenhead Ferries or, in the case of Royal Iris, Wallasey Ferries.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 15th Feb 2012 10:16am
Don't know if the following link has been posted before but it has some great old photographs of many Mersey Ferry boats, including the Royal Iris & Royal Daffodil.

Look half way down the page and you'll see a photo of the "Royal Iris" bus.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela...Mersey%20Ferries/13-Mersey%20Ferries.htm
Posted By: Geekus Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 15th Feb 2012 11:12am
Anyone remember when the Royal Iris was used for the location of a Saturday morning TV show called 'The Mersey Pirate'?

Produced by the same company that did Tiswas, it was shown in 1979 but only lasted a few weeks. Featured Duggie Brown, Billy Butler, and Mooey & Scully. Think Frank Carson also appeared in a few episodes as Long John Silver with a stuffed parrot on his shoulder...
Posted By: Tatey Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2012 7:26am
Having been on a few vessels in my time, I wish that Royal Iris 11 could just be scrapped as in my opinion it looked an absolute abortion. Than God the bus is no more!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2012 12:00pm
As a former tarry arsed son of Neptune myself there is no sorrier sight then seeing a hulk rusting away, especially one with a bit of history. I wish they would just break these things up and be done with it. You have that thing lying there and the metal thieves are nicking manhole covers, it doesn't make sense.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2012 12:24pm
Aharr Jim lad!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2012 1:07pm
Just found another web-site with tons of stuff on the Royal Iris, particularly good contributions from people who worked on her over the years.

It's also a great link for all salty old sea dogs into maritime nostalgia. Checkout the gallery pages.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=1578

I'm surprised that more fuss hasn't been made of the fact that the Beatles played on board a number of times.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 16th Feb 2012 2:19pm
Joined the site Geekus, good call, cheers.
Probably spend more time on there than here.

With regard to the Iris, I chartered her myself once and had the Merseyssippi Jazz Band as the entertainment, a great night. Got denegrated by some for chartering the "Fish & Chip Boat" but they were the ones with the complimentary tickets, cheeky gits. If I remember correctly I got a cheaper rate because I was working on the buses at the time. I hired for the Birkenhead RAOB as a fund raiser.
Posted By: Dave_Wood Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 7:38pm
Hi,
an update on the Royal Iris. I popped over to Woolwich yesterday and was shocked to see how much further she has deteriorated. She's lying very low in the water again and there was evidence that water had actually got on board.

I took these (link below) pics about an hour before a 7 metre high tide and you can see how low down she is at the stern. She isn't moving with the current nor with the waves caused by a large ship passing by. A high 11 metre tide could engulf her in my opinion.

I had a long conversation with the owner who still insists she'll be refurbished and putting the blame on the likes of me for putting potential investors off by negative reporting on her. I politely him told that was bollocks and anyone with a pair of eyes could see what shape she's in. I told him that in my view (who hasn't a clue about marine engineering), this is the worst shape I have seen her in since she berthed at Woolwich in 2002.

Later on, I had a conversation with a person who runs a business on the industrial estate next to where it's berthed. He knows a thing or two about ships and according to him, he can't see it lasting another winter. Mind you, I said that 3 yrs ago.

The images are rather large which is why I added a link rather than upload them:
http://liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/march2012.htm

Most of you have signed the petition, but just in case:
http://www.royaliris.co.uk

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: Wheels Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 7:45pm
frown didn't she sink once?
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 7:52pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
frown didn't she sink once?

Not quite. Got stuck on the sandbank, water rose and flooded her. Going to happen again
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 8:01pm
next time you're down there if you go on the thames rib trip they'll take you pretty close to her.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 8:34pm
That is a goner, best thing done for that ferry is to scrap what's left and let's just remember how she used to be the Royal Iris, the fish and chip barge.
Posted By: SirTankWelder Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 9:06pm
Is this the dave wood who used to flail behind british rail class 40 diesel engines in the 1980s ? grin
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris Update, March 2012 - 24th Mar 2012 9:31pm
Originally Posted by SirTankWelder
Is this the dave wood who used to flail behind british rail class 40 diesel engines in the 1980s ? grin
Deffo not me [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 24th Mar 2012 9:34pm
I'm going to carry on with the petition, but from what I saw of her yesterday and the generator pumping out the water, she's a lost cause. I was always the optimist until this last visit.
Posted By: Dave_Wood Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 21st Apr 2012 9:39am
A few shots at low tide last week
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpoolpictorial/7084984037/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpoolpictorial/7084984225/
Posted By: minicooper Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 22nd Apr 2012 5:15am
There must be something wrong with this James Jegedes? Is he all there?
Posted By: joney Re: Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil - 11th May 2012 1:54pm
There used to be funnel with lots of bullet holes in it at Seacombe ferry prior to the war which I think was from the old Royal Iris which had been kept on display. I think it went for scrap for the war effort.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral