Forums
Posted By: Jeeps Orderley Place, Birkenhead - 17th Nov 2008 1:56pm
Has anyone any information please about the address Orderly Residence which I have seen on the 1851 and 1891 Census returns? I imagine it would have been somewhere around Brook Street, Cathcart Street etc.. I have Googled but found nothing.

I would like to think there was a Disorderly Residence too! laugh
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Orderley Place, Birkenhead - 18th Nov 2008 2:17pm
Thanks to a query on another thread, I rememberd I have an ordnance survey map from 1909 and if anyone else is interested, I have found Orderley Place bounded by Price Street, Watson Street, Brook Street and Cathcart Street and opposite a Baptist Church. I presume my Orderly Residence is in Orderley Place.

It looks like it could be a Court with 3 rows of back to back houses or maybe tenement blocks. If anyone does have any more information I would appreciate it. smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Orderley Place, Birkenhead - 18th Nov 2008 2:53pm
Interesting; I've just found it on a 1912 map. An interesting layout, as you say. I've got a feeling that the word "place" here is used in the French sense, meaning "square".
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Orderley Place, Birkenhead - 18th Nov 2008 3:25pm
Ah, thanks for that.

Thanks too, for your reply on the Warwick Street thread which made me realise I might be able to find some info myself. smile

If anyone knows anything of the history of Orderley Place or has any pictures they would share, that would be fab. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral