Forums
Posted By: chriskay Making way for Lairds? - 27th Oct 2008 7:33pm
I found some interesting plans in the archives last Friday. These date from 1900 & show the existing outfall of the sewer
(& probably the drain from the culverted stream down the line of Borough Rd.), & the plan to extend them further out into the river. At the time, Tranmere pool, which was of course tidal, came quite close to Old Chester Rd. & a large area which is now Laird's was mud. You can also see on the plans the old Tranmere ferry jetty. The area South of this was also re-claimed & became part of Laird's.
You can just see on the map, Green Lane & the Royal Castle hotel, which is still there (but with a different name?).

Attached picture Outfall plans 1900-1.JPG
Attached picture Outfall plans 1900-2.JPG
Attached picture Outfall plans 1900-3.JPG
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Making way for Lairds? - 27th Oct 2008 10:54pm
Great find Chris thumbsup

You're obsessed with this overflow tunnel, but you keep finding more & more great info.

Interesting to see the floating stage and Tranmere pool as mud.

So there was/is actually an outlet by the monks ferry slip way?
Posted By: scoops Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 2:30am
Your right Chris. The Royal Castle was remodeled and renamed about 5-6? years ago, it's now the Hotel California.
Posted By: bigalrobbo Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 8:59am
I think the stream you are discussing also runs through the building that was the old Shaftsbury Boys Club which is now a Gym by Blakes.
The basement of the club use to flood alot. I remember a large iron door that when opened showed fast running water which had to be checked by staff whenever it rained. I never found out were it went to after that. Hope this might be of some help.

bigalrobbo.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 10:07am
Hotel California / Ormerod's Royal Castle Hotel - Now & Then Topic
Posted By: chriskay Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 11:09am
Originally Posted by bigalrobbo
I think the stream you are discussing also runs through the building that was the old Shaftsbury Boys Club which is now a Gym by Blakes.
The basement of the club use to flood alot. I remember a large iron door that when opened showed fast running water which had to be checked by staff whenever it rained. I never found out were it went to after that. Hope this might be of some help.

bigalrobbo.

I think you're probably right. That would be the Happy Valley stream at a guess & would be part of this drainage system.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 11:18am
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Great find Chris thumbsup

You're obsessed with this overflow tunnel, but you keep finding more & more great info.

Interesting to see the floating stage and Tranmere pool as mud.

So there was/is actually an outlet by the monks ferry slip way?

This isn't my famous overflow tunnel, Joe. This is the original system to drain the Borough Rd./Happy Valley stream. It was because the system was not successful in preventing flooding (as far up as the library) that the overflow tunnel was built in the 1930's.

On the map, Monk's Ferry is off the map at the top. Here's a current map showing the relationship between the Tranmere Ferry, the new outfall & Monk's Ferry.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture 2008-10-28 11-04-26_0155.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Making way for Lairds? - 28th Oct 2008 12:39pm
Thanks for clearing that up Chris smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral