Forums
Posted By: chriskay Wirral archives - 26th Oct 2008 12:45am
I was there twice last week, in the new location in the Cheshire Lines building. It's an excellent facility, with a much larger room than when it was in the Town Hall. All the material is now in the same building, so is quicker to access & they are now open Monday to Saturday. The official entrance is via Shore Rd., but there's a set of steps down from Canning St. See attached pic.
This is a great resource & the staff are very helpful. I deposited some stuff about the Tranmere Tunnels (which is also on this site) & they now know about wikiwirral. If I were closer I guess I'd be in there regularly.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Posted By: Morseman Re: Wirral archives - 26th Oct 2008 10:29am
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is held there Chris?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral archives - 26th Oct 2008 10:47am
Vast quantities of historical information, most of which will be of no interest to the majority of people, but may include a little gem or link if you're researching practically anything concerning Wirral. For example, tracing family history or the history of a particular building or area. Records are either on paper or microfilm/microfiche. Some of the records date back to the 15th. Century, but most are from the 19th./20th. I can really do no better than to give you this link to their website.
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/LGCL/100009/200111/content_0002044.html

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral archives - 26th Oct 2008 9:10pm
Cheers for the info Chris. Guess I will pop over in the week.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Wirral archives - 27th Oct 2008 2:01pm
Yeh thanks for that, must make a few hours to go and look around. Bet you needs weeks really though?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Wirral archives - 27th Oct 2008 2:45pm
just a quick one for anyone who attends Wirral Archives it is best to ring before you go with a list of what you are looking for.This saves time when you are there as the archive assistants will have already retrieved the documents or records concerned thumbsup
Posted By: Dava2479 Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 7:36pm
Starting from 10 Jan Wirral archives are conducting a workshop once a month on a sat morning,10 am - 12 pm.They will be covering different topics of local history.Here is the diary for this year.

Attached picture img048.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 7:37pm
As a reminder people or persons wishing to attend any of the workshop meets are to book in advance as vacancies are subject to availability.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 9:05pm
July 11th could be popular !!
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 9:46pm
will be ringing on monday for the 6th of june and the 11th of july.

Cheers dava thumbsup
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 9:47pm
Yer dava the wirral info man QUALITY smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wirral archives - 9th Jan 2009 10:35pm
The birkenhead priory will be very intresting.. i'll have to book that..
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Wirral archives - 11th Jan 2009 7:50pm
Originally Posted by jonno40
will be ringing on monday for the 6th of june and the 11th of july.

Cheers dava thumbsup

They are the ones that I want also.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Wirral Archives - 21st Mar 2009 10:24pm
I'm not sure about this, but i was looking for something for my family tree and stumbled across it, thought it might come in useful for someone on here smile

Wirral Archives
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Wirral Archives - 21st Mar 2009 10:39pm
Useful link. Genealogy is fascinating!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral