Forums
Posted By: Morseman Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 4:33pm
Some years back the Council dug a trench around Moreton common to stop travellers getting on to the site.

We noticed that a lot of small decorative bottles were in the bottom of the trenches so started digging a bit. Probably breaking some bye law but we turned up some really nice old medicine, sauce and other assorted bottles. Quite a few odd shaped one's and often they were brightly coloured. There were some ink one's as well.

Was it used as a dump some time previously specifically for bottles? Never turned up anything else and obviously we couldn't get spades out and have a really good look in case we got arrested but we only scraped the surface really.

I understand that the dips in New Brighton were filled with rubbish as well back in the thirties when the promenade was built. Anyone have any more information on this or is it an urban myth?
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 4:37pm
Where abouts where these trenches dug and did anyone get any pics of the objects or take any home etc. I love old bottles, ive got some really old ones
Posted By: Morseman Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 6:06pm
I mainly got them just behind where the new toilets are now. Think I still have a few and will look for them and photograph if possible. They seemed to be all over that part of the common right up to the end where the hospital was.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 6:29pm
These are the one's I can find. Photo taken in shed in artificial light so hope you can make them out okay?

There was a beautiful little green round one that I can't find. There were bigger ones that have been got rid of. One was shaped a bit like a coke bottle but I think it used to contain sauce? There must be still thousands buried in that field although if you go digging I never told you. grin

Attached picture bottles 002.JPG
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 6:36pm
Nice bottles, love the different shapes and colours available. Got a few myself, there is a bottle recycling plant in Chester and i used to do breakdowns on the machines there, would often find me up to my waist in glass, some crackers come out of there!!
I think one cracker went in too....ME!!!! doh
Posted By: Colgo Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 10:22pm
The area around Moreton common was a shanty town in the early 20's. perhaps the bottles come from then
Matty's. Now and Then Thread
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 20th Oct 2008 11:34pm
Thats interesting. I guess they must have dumped their stuff somewhere then.
Posted By: FreckledHen Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 21st Oct 2008 4:23pm
If you find any with glass stoppers in they are quite hard to obtain-in the 1950s 'pop' used to come in those bottles-the stopper was forced back into the neck of the bottle to keep the 'pop' from losing it's fizz! often they could be refilled at the shop. Of course,I wasn't born then, this is what i've heard!
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 21st Oct 2008 5:11pm
They may have been from the old Hospital
Posted By: Morseman Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 21st Oct 2008 7:14pm
Originally Posted by pat47
If you find any with glass stoppers in they are quite hard to obtain-in the 1950s 'pop' used to come in those bottles-the stopper was forced back into the neck of the bottle to keep the 'pop' from losing it's fizz! often they could be refilled at the shop. Of course,I wasn't born then, this is what i've heard!

These are called Codd bottles. Not so sure about getting them refilled but will take your word for it. Someone once told me that if you look (dig?) hard enough at Barnston Dale you will find loads there? I've never actually been to Barnston Dale but it was a popular day out many years ago plus they had some kind of camp site there way back. Can anyone supply more info than that?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 23rd Aug 2009 3:50pm
The stoppers were used as marbles, or "alleys", easier to get hold of than the sissy shop bought ones. If I remember right they were called "washers". Ball bearings were called "bollies" and sometimes, if you played against bigger lads, the rules were implemented in their favour so they could win the lot off you. There were also "blood alleys" which were highly prized when they first came out. White glass with a red squiggle going through them.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Moreton Common Bottles - 7th Nov 2009 8:24am
i know a place bidston area, look and dig in right place you will get plenty old bottles out,dont have to dig in far 6/8 inches down.

anyone that might want to have ago for some PM me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral