Forums
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Woodside - 29th Sep 2008 8:54pm
anyone got any pixs or info about woodside bus station! spent lots of time changing buses here. allways think back to the concrete bus shelters,and having to find were your bus stopped! also the shop at the bottom by the ferry. happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 10:21am
From memory, the bus shelters were made of galvo tubing with "Kee Clamp" fittings and corrugated steel sheets for a "roof".

The tubing was extended up at one end for the large plate that gave route numbers/destinations.

Talking about the days when we had "proper" buses that were clean, well-maintained and were painted blue !!

Took the bus and boat to Liverpool every day for years. The bus "station" at Woodside today is a mere joke - a bad one at that.

The "Avoca" cafe that sold mugs of tea you could resurface the road with was next to the inspector's office. "Chalkie" from "On the Buses" lurked in there !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 11:15am
I remember the shelters, such as they were, as you describe, Pinzgauer. Maybe they put concrete ones there later; I'm thinking of the 1940's/50's. What's your era, TRANCENTRAL?

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 2:56pm
Don't know much about the bus station, could give you a fair bit on the train station though! I did have an old picture somewhere with the cream and green Crosville buses at the station but it's been a while, I'm still gutted I lost my Railway Stations of Wirral book, I'll have to buy a new copy.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 7:06pm
i am a 1980 kid! happy
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 7:49pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
i am a 1980 kid! happy

That makes me feel very, very old

Snod (1940s/50s kid - but still one at heart)
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 7:58pm
your not old just mature! thumbsup
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Woodside - 30th Sep 2008 8:59pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
i am a 1980 kid! happy

Join the club bud.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Woodside - 23rd Oct 2008 8:45pm
Anyone seen the model of Woodside in the museum at the old Birkenhead town hall? Really interesting and shows how it used to be.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Woodside - 23rd Oct 2008 9:13pm
Pictures of the Woodside model can be found in the topic of our Wirral History Group Meet
Posted By: Morseman Re: Woodside - 23rd Oct 2008 9:50pm
Super photographs. One day I will get around to viewing everything on this site and won't jump in so quickly. sorry
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Woodside - 24th Oct 2008 9:11am
Theres too much on here, and growing every day, so don't worry about jumping in too quickly
Posted By: Mad_Babs Re: Woodside - 11th Jan 2009 4:04pm
I remember Olivia's - a very well to do type of cafe. You could time the buses to the second they were that regular. The blue Corporation buses. 58 to Clatterbridge, 51 and 52 to Levers, 64 and 64a to New Ferry.

If you were lucky, if the bus had started off, you could grab the handle and still manage to jump on, then the Clippy would shout "fares please". It used to cost me 1 1/2d (less than a penny in todays money) to go to school. The Clippy had a machine that used to have a set of cross over straps, he'd ask where you were going and turn his dial, turn his handle and your ticket would pop out - they were long then.

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woodside - 11th Jan 2009 4:12pm
Yeah me Dad said he remembers it very well as he used to go there pretty regular.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._remembers_General_Histo.html#Post269598
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 11th Jan 2009 5:08pm
woodside

Attached picture wood.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 11th Jan 2009 8:10pm
My auntie worked in the cafe on the right hand side as you walked towards it about 30 years ago or so, i was alright for free pies and tea. The bloke that owned the cafe was called Ricky and he owned a restaurant next to the abc cinema, Argyle St, Market st side. Does anyone remember the name of that restaurant. I think it was Italian sounding.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:24pm
Will get some pic sat then post!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:28pm
Originally Posted by bert1
My auntie worked in the cafe on the right hand side as you walked towards it about 30 years ago or so, i was alright for free pies and tea. The bloke that owned the cafe was called Ricky and he owned a restaurant next to the abc cinema, Argyle St, Market st side. Does anyone remember the name of that restaurant. I think it was Italian sounding.

Bert,was it Olivieri's?
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:29pm
If so then it`s on this thread.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/183525/11.html
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:40pm
TARR DAVA MAN!
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:41pm

The restaurant next to the ABC was Alfresco, and is now the Brass Balance. (It may have been something else inbetween).

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:41pm
happy
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 8:44pm
Originally Posted by uptoncx

The restaurant next to the ABC was Alfresco, and is now the Brass Balance. (It may have been something else inbetween).

Ah right,I`m too far,by Woodside.Alfresco`s,I remeber it well and totaly forgotten about it.Thanks for the reminder. happy

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Woodside - 22nd Jan 2009 9:21pm
THANKS GUYS!
Posted By: pablo42 Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 1:51pm
An old photo of Woodside. I think thats the Empress of Cananda at the Pier Head. Old cattle sheds still in place on the left

Attached picture bheadferry.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 2:02pm
A great shot pablo. I guess it must have been taken from the roof of Woodside Station. A sea of Daimlers, Guys and Leylands. What a great bus fleet Birkenhead had! The threatening sky sets the scene.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 2:32pm
Brilliant pic,took me back. Used to conduct and then drive the buses from there, happy days.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 2:42pm
Is that the 70A, I used to get that regularly, alighting at the Pelican where the pints were lined up.

Did you notice my bus talk there?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 2:55pm
"alighting". That's worth 3 bells. Tighthold !!!
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 9:59pm
I have some pics from my granddads collection, of the empress of Canada on it's side after the fire in the docks. Will get them posted soon.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 10:06pm
Far better on the busses when there where lots of clippy's..
By the way who is Bert kidding. He go on and got off.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 16th Dec 2011 10:09pm
I think that ship in the picture may not be the Empress of Canada, but the cruise ship Reina del Pacifico.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Woodside - 17th Dec 2011 9:52am
Yoller is correct it is the Reina del Pacifico of the Pacific Steam Navigation Company.

http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk/Reina%20del%20Pacifico%20photos.html

Scroll down to near the bottom for an enlargement of the same shot.

Dave

Attached picture Reina%20del%20Pacifico%20in%20Liverpool%201954.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 17th Dec 2011 10:31am
Here is the Reina del Pacifico on a poster reprint by Merseyside Museums, advertising a cruise to South America in 1940. Obviously this cruise never went ahead because of the outbreak of war.

Attached picture pacifico4.jpg
Attached picture pacifico3.jpg
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 11:09am
Some more of when we had 'proper' buses, ...and a 'proper' Woodside for that matter...

Attached picture Birk-Woodside1x.jpg
Attached picture Birk-Woodside2x.jpg
Attached picture Birk-Woodside3x.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 12:12pm
Excellent pictures Billy. Many thanks. No.128 in the third picture looks brand new. She was brought into service in Sept.'48. I think there's one from the same batch in Taylor Street museum (?)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 12:36pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Excellent pictures Billy. Many thanks. No.128 in the third picture looks brand new. She was brought into service in Sept.'48. I think there's one from the same batch in Taylor Street museum (?)

I almost certainly travelled on that bus; my era and my route.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 1:45pm
In the 2nd picture the building on the left was it there in the 50s/60s and were they public toilets or is it a figment of my imagination?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 2:21pm
Quite right Derek. The building directly above the trio of "Keep Left" bollards/top of the floating roadway.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 4:14pm
That building was a public toilet, but I think I read somewhere that it was originally the ticket office for the floating roadway.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 4:32pm
Originally Posted by yoller
That building was a public toilet, but I think I read somewhere that it was originally the ticket office for the floating roadway.

I'd be surprised if it was a ticket office, it always looked like a purpose built toilet to me.

PB
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 4:42pm
In fact, it was originally the Great Western Railway Inquiries and Receiving Office.

Attached picture office1.jpg
Attached picture office_-_Version_2.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 5:05pm
The sign on the building says INQUIRY and Receiving Office, not Inquiries. My mistake.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 5:19pm
That's an interesting old photo, yoller. It pre-dates Woodside station (1878) and also the trams at Woodside. I guess parcels from Liverpool would have come by ferry and left there for delivery to Grange Lane station.
I guess from its position that it may have been a ticket office for the goods ferry even before it was used by G.W.R.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 5:49pm
The original building has a large door and two big windows in its facade, plus quite an ornate roof and seems to be a self-contained structure.

But in billyanorak's picture, we can clearly see another section on the right (looking towards the river), which seems to be a later addition. I wonder if this bit was built on when the office became a toilet, so they could have Gents and Ladies?
Posted By: cathcart Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 5:55pm
great to see all the old buses,great fun,the buses.the railway,the ferries,a paradise in the 50s for us young lads.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 7:12pm
To pin yoller's picture down further, it must be post 1860, since that was when the railway changed from being the Chester and Birkenhead to being joint GWR and LNWR
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 20th Dec 2011 9:06pm
Sorry, I should have given more details. You're right, Chris - the picture is from the Birkenhead of Yesteryear book by Carol E Bidston and it says: 'Woodside Ferry approach, circa 1870'.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 2:27pm
Originally Posted by yoller
The original building has a large door and two big windows in its facade, plus quite an ornate roof and seems to be a self-contained structure.

But in billyanorak's picture, we can clearly see another section on the right (looking towards the river), which seems to be a later addition. I wonder if this bit was built on when the office became a toilet, so they could have Gents and Ladies?

The 1875 large-scale OS plan clearly shows the building had been extended to the right by that date, so it was nothing to do with the conversion to toilets.

As far as I know it was originally built as a railway Receiving Office not as a ticket office; because of the complexity of the fare tariff for goods carried on the luggage boats, fares were collected on board so that staff could ensure that the right amount was being paid, so there would be no need for a ticket office.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 2:55pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred

As far as I know it was originally built as a railway Receiving Office not as a ticket office; because of the complexity of the fare tariff for goods carried on the luggage boats, fares were collected on board so that staff could ensure that the right amount was being paid, so there would be no need for a ticket office.

That's very interesting. You're right about the complexity of goods charges; see attached from 1905. My timetable book from 1905 makes no mention of where the fares were collected and it hadn't occurred to me that it was on board.
I suppose that was the logical place to have the railway receiving office, at the end of the floating roadway.

Attached picture woodside goods charges 1.jpg
Attached picture woodside goods charges 2.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 3:47pm
Is it possible the extension to the building could have been the Great Northern office, that's if the buildings address was Shore Rd. 1878 Post Office directory.

Attached picture gw.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 3:58pm
Makes sense, bert.
Posted By: yoller Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 5:48pm
Did this building perhaps become redundant as a receiving office after 1878, when Woodside Station opened? Surely the GWR and LNWR would then have incorporated all their facilities inside the main station.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 21st Dec 2011 6:13pm

Attached picture shore rd.JPG
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodside - 22nd Dec 2011 5:19pm
Well I am surprised.

PB
Posted By: Helles Re: Woodside - 22nd Dec 2011 7:27pm
Think they were the only toilets I ever went in that had some kind of sign about VD?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 22nd Dec 2011 8:09pm
I don't remember the VD signs (honest). I do however remember the "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" signs over the doors were GREEN neon signs. Funny the things that stick in the swede.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Woodside - 22nd Dec 2011 8:12pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Think they were the only toilets I ever went in that had some kind of sign about VD?

The one at the bottom of Vicky Rd on the left was a lovely place. A right hang out for pervs.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Woodside - 23rd Dec 2011 5:14am
Originally Posted by Helles

I think most of the toilets round the docks had VD warnings.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 12:01pm
Love the scale model in the Town Hall.
Looking at this part
How many vehicles were ferried across to Liverpool and what boat took them?
ps
I vaguely remember the ice cream bikes in 1st pic

Attached picture drive on to ferry [1600x1200].JPG
Attached picture drive on to ferry b [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: bri445 Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 12:41pm
Ice Cream bike....

Attached picture Scan-090830-0001.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 12:46pm
Just had a quick zoom in on your first photo, Derek, and if I read it correctly the signage above the door appears to say " Martins Bank Limited" and "Cattle Trade Bank". Anyone have any idea when the Receiving Offices became a bank?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 1:05pm
What a classic advert!!! Thanks bri445.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 3:57pm
Thanks. Note the prices! Snofrutes, the triangular ones - 1 old penny!
Posted By: cathcart Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 4:49pm
a truly magnificent model railway,seen it a few times,very atmospheric.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Woodside - 5th Mar 2012 8:37pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
An old photo of Woodside. I think thats the Empress of Cananda at the Pier Head. Old cattle sheds still in place on the left

i remember Woodside being like this,i used to get the bus home from work here--were the No:40 bus is standing---my first job in Sam Scotts Millinery Lord St, it was 1967 and i was 16.
oh how it has changed!
Posted By: pablo42 Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 2:35pm

Woodside, no date. I'd like to thank David in Northwich for these. Couldn't see if they were already posted

Attached picture 525.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 2:35pm

Woodside, no date. At a guess, 1952

Attached picture 515.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 2:37pm

Woodside from the River

Attached picture 543.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 2:38pm

Attached picture 247.jpg

Attached picture 275.jpg

Attached picture 294.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 3:01pm
The photos showing the scaffolding around the Mersey Railway Power Station chimney would have been taken in 1961 - the year it was demolished. The bunting on the Ferry buildings would have been for the Coronation in 1953.

A note in G.W.Parkin's book "The Mersey Railway" states:

"It will be of interest to record that the 270 foot high chimney of the power station, which was the highest structure on the Cheshire side of the river, was built in 56 working days. Containing 865,000 bricks, it was at the time of its erection a world record in brick chimney construction. No attempt was made to break any records when it was being pulled down, it taking twice as long to dismantle as it did to build it."

Thanks Pablo for the pictures. The picture of the Ferry Approach with all those buses is brilliant. Just a sea of Guys, Daimlers and Leylands! What a great bus service we had then.

I'm sure Bandy will be on the platform of one of those !!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 4:16pm
The photos showing the scaffolding around the Mersey Railway Power Station chimney

Oh, is that what it is? In a book I've got it says it's a mill chimney. grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 4:50pm
Yes, you are right Chris. The author (name escapes me) made a few bloopers in that book. Research wasn't his best point.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 5:03pm
Chimney here
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/547779/Aerial_photo_1923.html#Post547779
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside - 30th Mar 2012 6:33pm
Yes, you are right Chris. The author (name escapes me) made a few bloopers in that book. Research wasn't his best point.

Cliff Hayes "A Century of Birkenhead & Wirral". He also famously mis-identified the Sidney St. ventilation shaft as "Woodside Ventilation Station"
A great pity, since the book contains many fine pictures that I haven't seen anywhere else.
Posted By: pablo42 Early Woodside - 12th Jun 2012 3:34pm

Woodside, 1918

Attached picture 000000birkenheadbefore1918alsopwoodside_old9.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Early Woodside - 12th Jun 2012 10:32pm
Ferry Terminal straight ahead. What's the building behind the station?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Early Woodside - 13th Jun 2012 5:49am
Unsure of original use. In the useless information section.... I recall one of the offices, before demolition of that building, was a Driving School. (BSM ?)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Early Woodside - 13th Jun 2012 6:36am

Attached picture ws.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Early Woodside - 13th Jun 2012 6:43am
Bert to the rescue !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral